Oklahoma, Texas & the SEC | The Boneyard

Oklahoma, Texas & the SEC

Reaction Score
Welcome back to Vic. He seems to be bringing in more talent than he was able to recruit at MsSt - and that is scary. He knows how to win in this conference.

Honestly, I know very little about Oklahoma except they battled Baylor and Texas for the top spot in the old Big 12 the last couple of years . My impression ( which could be erroneous) is that they have more of an uptempo, 3 point shooting, finesse team. With a player like Beers coming on board, I expect them to look inside more for paint scoring.

Oils we see a three way tie for the regular season championship? Settle it on the last day of the tourney? Can Beers dominate the other 12 schools? Rising Vandy? Fallen Vols longhorns vs Aggies?

How will the Vile fans react to another orange UT in the conference?

Fun coming! Let’s get it on. Ugh, six months of anticipation.

ACC vs SEC challenge matchups could be interesting with ND NC state and . . . Who?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Texas and Tennessee have played for years. Both fan bases know that.

Reaction Score
It is going to be interesting to see how the pecking order of the SEC over the years. The competition level has always been tough. I am talking about going back to the early days of the 80s. Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Heck, Vandy was a player back in the day. WBB and the SEC is going to be epic!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not just basketball but softball and volleyball as well. Adding OU/Texas for softball is HUGE!!!

For volleyball adding texas to now have to face tennesee/florida/kentucky in conference

Wow

fire catching GIF

Reaction Score
Not just basketball but softball and volleyball as well. Adding OU/Texas for softball is HUGE!!!

For volleyball adding texas to now have to face tennesee/florida/kentucky in conference

Wow

fire catching GIF
YES!! I was so focused on the basketball side, I totally forgot about the softball and volleyball side. The SEC is going to be competitive as heck!!

Reaction Score
Well, Texas and Oklahoma can bring a lot of “ adopted” titles in football and baseball to the SEC. Kinda like the Big’s Wbb title from Maryland - and baseball titles from U$C and UCLA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ACC vs SEC challenge matchups could be interesting with ND NC state and . . . Who?

8b81765d5be414af382e4ac50bd67575.jpg

a

Anyway, The problem this year is that all of the projected top ACC schools... Duke, ND, Louisville and State are due to have home games this year. So unless they send Chapel Hill to Columbia (the tarheels dont want to e$ver go back there), its probably gonna be F$U Syracuse, or maybe Stanford to play SCAR. L$U, Ole Miss and TN are scheduled to be on the road. As a Duke fan... I wouldn't mind seeing L$U or the Ribeyes come to Cameron. TN at Duke would be interesting. Would be great to see Coach Lawson's team stomp a mudhole vs her alma mater. If they don't send Kentucky to VPI.. then they shouldn't even have the challenge. i might would drive to Blacksburg to see that scene :eek:

Reaction Score
Matchups I’d like to see:

South Carolina@Notre Dame (Natl championship contenders)

NC State@LSU (James/Rivers vs. Morrow/Johnson)

Kentucky@VA Tech (Kenny’s return)

Duke@Texas (Defensive Battle- First to 50 wins)

Oklahoma@Louisville (Beers & co vs. Cochran & the talented freshmen)

Florida St.@Auburn (Latson vs. Scott)

Tennessee@Miami (Contenders or Pretenders)

Ole Miss@North Carolina (Todd-Williams return to UNC)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Unless the change the rules about not hosting back to back years... most of those matchups can't happen. I bolded the teams that are due to host this year.

I too was hoping to see a ND vs SCAR game... but alas.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Welcome back to Vic. He seems to be bringing in more talent than he was able to recruit at MsSt - and that is scary. He knows how to win in this conference.

Honestly, I know very little about Oklahoma except they battled Baylor and Texas for the top spot in the old Big 12 the last couple of years . My impression ( which could be erroneous) is that they have more of an uptempo, 3 point shooting, finesse team. With a player like Beers coming on board, I expect them to look inside more for paint scoring.

Oils we see a three way tie for the regular season championship? Settle it on the last day of the tourney? Can Beers dominate the other 12 schools? Rising Vandy? Fallen Vols longhorns vs Aggies?

How will the Vile fans react to another orange UT in the conference?

Fun coming! Let’s get it on. Ugh, six months of anticipation.

Texas will fit in well right away with their style of play and the amount of talent on the roster.

Oklahoma is an interesting case study. They pass the ball well and play more of a motion offense which is almost the antithesis of SEC basketball. Question is, do they have the physicality and athleticism to compete in the SEC? Adding Beers is a great start, but they were very up and down a year ago. Horrible in the preseason but somehow won the Big 12 by the skin of their teeth. In the post season they were throttled by Iowa State in the Big 12 tournament but fought Indiana hard on the road. How good will they be with Beers? Time will tell if their style of play can thrive in the SEC. I think they'll likely be in the 4-6 range next year, as I see South Carolina, Texas and LSU as the likely top 3. The conference is deep next year and has the best collection of coaches in the country.

WBBTakeover

Lindsey Harding for Fever head coach
Reaction Score

For what--postseason play? Because neither of those teams, in their current states, are contending for anything other than a shot at the NCAA Tournament.

WBBTakeover

Lindsey Harding for Fever head coach
Reaction Score
ACC v SEC vhallengru
The notes in the parentheses read "Contenders or Pretenders". What are these two teams contending for? Because they aren't national title contenders nor are they contenders within their respective conferences. Miami missed the NCAA Tournament last season (and could miss out again this season) and Tennessee didn't make it out of the first weekend (and they're also a bubble team).

Reaction Score

Oklahoma @ Louisville would also be the return of Verhulst to play against her former team.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The notes in the parentheses read "Contenders or Pretenders". What are these two teams contending for? Because they aren't national title contenders nor are they contenders within their respective conferences. Miami missed the NCAA Tournament last season (and could miss out again this season) and Tennessee didn't make it out of the first weekend (and they're also a bubble team).
A few of the current Tennessee players have played. The for this year has not played. Certainly not under Caldwell.

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina
2. Texas
3. LSU

4. Oklahoma
5. Ole Miss

6. Alabama
7. Auburn
8. Miss State
9. Tennessee
10. Vanderbilt

11. Texas AM
12. Kentucky
13. Florida

14. Arkansas
15. Mizzou
16. Georgia

I'm not entirely sure about the roster shakeup but my general sense is something like this.

Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Unless the change the rules about not hosting back to back years... most of those matchups can't happen. I bolded the teams that are due to host this year.

I too was hoping to see a ND vs SCAR game... but alas.
N.C. State played at home last year. Beat my Commodores after I whined about the matchup for weeks.

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina
2. Texas
3. LSU

4. Oklahoma
5. Ole Miss

6. Alabama
7. Auburn
8. Miss State
9. Tennessee
10. Vanderbilt

11. Texas AM
12. Kentucky
13. Florida

14. Arkansas
15. Mizzou
16. Georgia

I'm not entirely sure about the roster shakeup but my general sense is something like this.

Any thoughts?
Pretty solid in my opinion. I do think Alabama could separate from the other four teams in that grouping and could battle Oklahoma/Ole Miss for position. From 7 on down, it gets pretty murky for me, but you could probably say that about a lot of conferences. I do think your bottom three is probably accurate. I think I might put Georgia on top of that little pile. They didn't lose much and have four top-100 freshmen joining. Could be tough times for Arkansas and Missouri, although I promise both will give Vandy fits. They just do.

Reaction Score
Has a conference ever had three 30 game winners in one season?

SCar, LSU and Texas all did it last season but can they do it as members of one conference?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Has a conference ever had three 40 game winners in one season?

SCar, LSU and Texas all did it last season but can they do it as members of one conference?

What sport are you talking about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom