Oklahoma Game Photos & My Trip To Colorado | The Boneyard

Oklahoma Game Photos & My Trip To Colorado

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Wow, the OU game atmosphere was great! We upgraded our seats with a scalper outside the arena and sat in the 4th row, center court, right behind the press table (had to pay $5.00 over the $15.00 face value - whole different world here!). The OU fans were really psyched for this game. They were loud, and really really into it. But I have to say they were some of the nicest fans anywhere - there was obviously a lot of respect. Everyone I talked to had nice things to say about Geno and they were appreciative of his friendship with Sherri..
The OU team was apparently psyched too. It was actually a lot of fun to watch us play somebody who wasn’t intimidated by the name on the front of our jerseys. It was frustrating to see us miss so many wide-open threes and layups, and it seemed like we played out-of-control when we did get a fast break opportunity. But kudos to OU - they played hard and deserve a ton of credit for making a great game of it. They could have won this game, and I’m sure they feel they should have won. At one point late in the game it seemed like Christyn Williams was the only UConn player who was keeping her cool. She made a few of the same bonehead plays the others did, but not as many. It felt like she was cool and calm, but maybe deferring to the older players for a while, like they were supposed to get the game under control. And then it was like she just decided she needed to do something about it herself because there wasn’t enough time left to “wait” any longer. I think Geno saw this too, and at one point he got really active on the sideline and directed traffic for a clear-out for Christyn. Then Pheesa got her game under control and they ran it out. When the ball got stuck behind the rim on an OU 3-poitnt attempt that would have tied the game back up (whew!), Pheesa jumped up and swatted it out for the refs. Then she was joking around with the other players. We were only up 3 with 2-3 minutes left and she seemed a lot more relaxed and confident than I was. That was my “We got this” moment.
After the game I visited with Christyn’s mom. Very nice lady. She’ll be traveling to the Tulsa, Houston, Baylor, and Louisville games, and maybe Wichita State and some others. Then Christyn came out and her mom told her I had said it was because of Christyn that we won this game. Christyn is so humble and nice. Very gracious with everyone who wanted a picture (especially me). Pheesa too. Really glad I made this trip.
There were so many wonderful moments on this trip before and after the game and going to share a few more. My son and his wife recently bought a house in Colorado and I wanted to see it and help fix and build things with him while I was here. The best part was being there when he adopted another dog. He works for animal control and in October he got a call to check out a house with dogs barking. He did not know it that the two people who live there were sent to jail for four weeks and had twenty-one dogs and did not tell anyone about them. As it turned out they were all stolen. Unfortunately when he got there eleven were dead already and the other ten were in really bad shape. Besides getting the alive dogs the medical attention they needed he had to carry out the dead ones, photograph each one and write up a report for each one After hearing this I vowed never to complain about work again because thinking back to my worse week of work ever it seems trivial. This one bull dog just bonded with him instantly. She had zero percent body fat and were not sure if she was going to make it. Well she did but lost and eye and almost lost both. No one knew when or if she was going to be able to be adopted. As it turned out we picked her up the first morning I was here. My son named her Kemba. He a big UConn men's basketball fan.
I went non stop enjoying time with my son and his wife and their pets. On the first day also we picked up a used 180 gallon fish tank. The next day picked up supplies to build a stand for the tank. It took a few days to build it with a couple of hours here and there but came on level and sturdy. Playing tennis I now know there is no way I will ever beat my son again but still have fun trying. Taking the dogs for walks, hiking in State Parks, playing chess and last Saturday was my birthday and got to go on a ride along with my son to see and understand what its like being an officer for animal control is like. On my last post I forgot to mention Kia Nurse brother Darnell Nurse scored a goal in the Avalanche/ Edmonton game we went to.
When I left Colorado and landed in Oklahoma a friend picked me up at the airport and did not have a lot of time to go sightseeing but the one place we did go was the Oklahoma City National Memorial. So glad we did. We went to eat after that and then went to the game. Had to wake up early for a 5:40 flight but got to the airport at 4 AM. I thought that was good timing but as it turns out that hundreds of military soldiers were heading home for Christmas and get to cut the line. I guess I am not good at keeping my mouth shut so after waiting over an hour in line I told them what I was feeling. I said there is only a 50 percent chance of me still making my flight and if it was anyone else I would be pissed but even if I miss my flight I have no problem with them going in front of everyone. They thanked me for my attitude and said that there are a lot of people who do not think that way. I just thanked them for everything they do and wished them a Merry Christmas. As it turned out I got on the plane three and a half minutes before the cabin doors shut. Link----https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2140675542657361&type=1&l=1419f7f1c0
02.jpg

Reaction Score
Danny,
As usual great pics, particularly the one of Lou driving hard with daylight under both feet! Sounds like an awesome trip. Happy Holidays!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow, the OU game atmosphere was great! We upgraded our seats with a scalper outside the arena and sat in the 4th row, center court, right behind the press table (had to pay $5.00 over the $15.00 face value - whole different world here!). The OU fans were really psyched for this game. They were loud, and really really into it. But I have to say they were some of the nicest fans anywhere - there was obviously a lot of respect. Everyone I talked to had nice things to say about Geno and they were appreciative of his friendship with Sherri..
The OU team was apparently psyched too. It was actually a lot of fun to watch us play somebody who wasn’t intimidated by the name on the front of our jerseys. It was frustrating to see us miss so many wide-open threes and layups, and it seemed like we played out-of-control when we did get a fast break opportunity. But kudos to OU - they played hard and deserve a ton of credit for making a great game of it. They could have won this game, and I’m sure they feel they should have won. At one point late in the game it seemed like Christyn Williams was the only UConn player who was keeping her cool. She made a few of the same bonehead plays the others did, but not as many. It felt like she was cool and calm, but maybe deferring to the older players for a while, like they were supposed to get the game under control. And then it was like she just decided she needed to do something about it herself because there wasn’t enough time left to “wait” any longer. I think Geno saw this too, and at one point he got really active on the sideline and directed traffic for a clear-out for Christyn. Then Pheesa got her game under control and they ran it out. When the ball got stuck behind the rim on an OU 3-poitnt attempt that would have tied the game back up (whew!), Pheesa jumped up and swatted it out for the refs. Then she was joking around with the other players. We were only up 3 with 2-3 minutes left and she seemed a lot more relaxed and confident than I was. That was my “We got this” moment.
After the game I visited with Christyn’s mom. Very nice lady. She’ll be traveling to the Tulsa, Houston, Baylor, and Louisville games, and maybe Wichita State and some others. Then Christyn came out and her mom told her I had said it was because of Christyn that we won this game. Christyn is so humble and nice. Very gracious with everyone who wanted a picture (especially me). Pheesa too. Really glad I made this trip.
There were so many wonderful moments on this trip before and after the game and going to share a few more. My son and his wife recently bought a house in Colorado and I wanted to see it and help fix and build things with him while I was here. The best part was being there when he adopted another dog. He works for animal control and in October he got a call to check out a house with dogs barking. He did not know it that the two people who live there were sent to jail for four weeks and had twenty-one dogs and did not tell anyone about them. As it turned out they were all stolen. Unfortunately when he got there eleven were dead already and the other ten were in really bad shape. Besides getting the alive dogs the medical attention they needed he had to carry out the dead ones, photograph each one and write up a report for each one After hearing this I vowed never to complain about work again because thinking back to my worse week of work ever it seems trivial. This one bull dog just bonded with him instantly. She had zero percent body fat and were not sure if she was going to make it. Well she did but lost and eye and almost lost both. No one knew when or if she was going to be able to be adopted. As it turned out we picked her up the first morning I was here. My son named her Kemba. He a big UConn men's basketball fan.
I went non stop enjoying time with my son and his wife and their pets. On the first day also we picked up a used 180 gallon fish tank. The next day picked up supplies to build a stand for the tank. It took a few days to build it with a couple of hours here and there but came on level and sturdy. Playing tennis I now know there is no way I will ever beat my son again but still have fun trying. Taking the dogs for walks, hiking in State Parks, playing chess and last Saturday was my birthday and got to go on a ride along with my son to see and understand what its like being an officer for animal control is like. On my last post I forgot to mention Kia Nurse brother Darnell Nurse scored a goal in the Avalanche/ Edmonton game we went to.
When I left Colorado and landed in Oklahoma a friend picked me up at the airport and did not have a lot of time to go sightseeing but the one place we did go was the Oklahoma City National Memorial. So glad we did. We went to eat after that and then went to the game. Had to wake up early for a 5:40 flight but got to the airport at 4 AM. I thought that was good timing but as it turns out that hundreds of military soldiers were heading home for Christmas and get to cut the line. I guess I am not good at keeping my mouth shut so after waiting over an hour in line I told them what I was feeling. I said there is only a 50 percent chance of me still making my flight and if it was anyone else I would be pissed but even if I miss my flight I have no problem with them going in front of everyone. They thanked me for my attitude and said that there are a lot of people who do not think that way. I just thanked them for everything they do and wished them a Merry Christmas. As it turned out I got on the plane three and a half minutes before the cabin doors shut. Link----https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2140675542657361&type=1&l=1419f7f1c0 View attachment 37596

Great pictures as always, thanks for sharing Danny.

You said: The OU fans were really psyched for this game. They were loud, and really really into it. But I have to say they were some of the nicest fans anywhere - there was obviously a lot of respect. Everyone I talked to had nice things to say about Geno and they were appreciative of his friendship with Sherri..

How do the Notre Dame fans differ from the OU fans? Was the reception you received in South Bend the same, better or worse? Just curious given how much some of them despise anything/anyone UConn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Dannnnnnnyyyyyy!!!! You ROCK! Thanks so much. Love the pictures...as Zansman said...except the snake. Love the Colorado country side, so beautiful... as is ANY win by our UCONN Huskies!!! Have a great Holiday Danny. Hope to meet you at a UCONN game after the new year...if I can get there!

Reaction Score
When I left Colorado and landed in Oklahoma a friend picked me up at the airport and did not have a lot of time to go sightseeing but the one place we did go was the Oklahoma City National Memorial. So glad we did. We went to eat after that and then went to the game. Had to wake up early for a 5:40 flight but got to the airport at 4 AM. I thought that was good timing but as it turns out that hundreds of military soldiers were heading home for Christmas and get to cut the line. I guess I am not good at keeping my mouth shut so after waiting over an hour in line I told them what I was feeling. I said there is only a 50 percent chance of me still making my flight and if it was anyone else I would be pissed but even if I miss my flight I have no problem with them going in front of everyone. They thanked me for my attitude and said that there are a lot of people who do not think that way. I just thanked them for everything they do and wished them a Merry Christmas. As it turned out I got on the plane three and a half minutes before the cabin doors shut. Link----https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2140675542657361&type=1&l=1419f7f1c0 View attachment 37596
Any pics of Kemba?

Reaction Score
I know I don't say it enough - but thank you. You give a very much "you are here with us" perspective and that is NOT the perspective of many (most?) other photographs. Thank you

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Great pics and post.
Did either player that you got pictures with recognize you from your presence in CT at home games? Or had they already met you previously.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Appreciate the photos...and the dogs.

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Here I go. Its rare that I answer questions in posts because I normally just message the person but I got three so I will. First one asked from Scoop How do the Notre Dame fans differ from the OU fans? Was the reception you received in South Bend the same, better or worse? Just curious given how much some of them despise anything/anyone UConn. Going to answer this honestly. Going to Notre Dame to see them play at the Joyce Center I thought it was going to be a hostile environment and I was wrong. They love their team but everyone was friendly. No one despised UConn or made any rude comments. Trying not to sound cocky but going into the Oklahoma game I felt very confident so since I went in to the games with a different perception I would say I enjoyed the sell out crowd at Notre Dame. I put the South Carolina fans at the same level as Notre Dame. As far as fans go only one place sticks out that has more miserable fans then most because it was a place I went to seven times and even though I met nice fans at the RAC ever single game their fans all around me no matter what section I sat in complain the whole game non stop on how bad the refs are and think that is the reason they lose.
Crossover asked any pics of Kemba. Here is one that I posted in the link.
05.jpg
Third question was by Centerstream Did either player that you got pictures with recognize you from your presence in CT at home games? Or had they already met you previously. It was the second time meeting Christyn because I had a group photo from first night and was standing next to her so going to guess she remembers seeing me there. Also from the games that I sat court side. Pheesa did remember me.

I did take the pictures in with the snakes and post them just to get a reaction. Sorry. Thank you for the likes and all the positive feedback. It is a lot of effort and that helps plus I enjoy doing it.

Reaction Score
Here I go. Its rare that I answer questions in posts because I normally just message the person but I got three so I will. First one asked from Scoop How do the Notre Dame fans differ from the OU fans? Was the reception you received in South Bend the same, better or worse? Just curious given how much some of them despise anything/anyone UConn. Going to answer this honestly. Going to Notre Dame to see them play at the Joyce Center I thought it was going to be a hostile environment and I was wrong. They love their team but everyone was friendly. No one despised UConn or made any rude comments. Trying not to sound cocky but going into the Oklahoma game I felt very confident so since I went in to the games with a different perception I would say I enjoyed the sell out crowd at Notre Dame. I put the South Carolina fans at the same level as Notre Dame. As far as fans go only one place sticks out that has more miserable fans then most because it was a place I went to seven times and even though I met nice fans at the RAC ever single game their fans all around me no matter what section I sat in complain the whole game non stop on how bad the refs are and think that is the reason they lose.
Crossover asked any pics of Kemba. Here is one that I posted in the link. View attachment 37608 Third question was by Centerstream Did either player that you got pictures with recognize you from your presence in CT at home games? Or had they already met you previously. It was the second time meeting Christyn because I had a group photo from first night and was standing next to her so going to guess she remembers seeing me there. Also from the games that I sat court side. Pheesa did remember me.

I did take the pictures in with the snakes and post them just to get a reaction. Sorry. Thank you for the likes and all the positive feedback. It is a lot of effort and that helps plus I enjoy doing it.
What a sweetheart!!

Reaction Score
Pictures are always fantastic, but your backstory spending time with your son and his wife made my day. I remember your son being with you at many UConn games before he left for school. How rewarding it must be for you to see what a fine young man he’s become. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We so much enjoy what you bring to this site.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great pictures Danny. I always enjoy hearing of your travels. Please extend a special thank you to your son for the good work he does with the animals and especially for adopting Kemba.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been recently mentioned but here goes anyway:

I believe that Oklahoma was about to end its women's basketball program in the mid-1990's.
Geno went to Norman High School to recruit Stacy Hansmeyer and saw a practice run by Norman coach Sherri Coale. He was waaay impressed with how she ran the practice and took her aside afterwards and asked her "do you know how good you are?" At some point I believe he contacted the OU AD who he knew a bit and recommended he hire Sherri to be their head coach....and the AD didjust that.

High school coach to head coach of Oklahoma...yikes!
She has done an overall wonderful job there for sure.

BTW: I heard the commentators talk about the 'great rivalry' between UConn and OU.
Uhhh...let's slow our roll on that just a bit.....is it now 11-0...or was this game win #12?

When one team never wins it's hard to call it 'great'...imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom