OKC head coach search, candidate Kevin Ollie. | The Boneyard

OKC head coach search, candidate Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
This is not an opinion on how things ended with Kevin Ollie or his ongoing litigation. I'd be shocked if he gets a head coaching job in the NBA. I'd even be surprised if he gets a head coaching job at a mid-major or better in college (after his show cause). It's not just that he flamed out at UConn and not even the violations (the NBA wouldn't care), it's how it went down and what he's done since. There were rumors of KO mailing it in, and he's done nothing since being terminated. He needs to earn his way back up.

Look at Jeff Capel. Ran into NCAA issues and poor performance after a hot start (similar to KO) and was terminated in March 2011. He joined Duke's staff in May 2011 and after moving up the bench, he got the Pitt job in 2018. Granted, he was able to get a gig at his alma mater, whereas Ollie was fired by his, but KO has done nothing in 2+ years, and doesn't even seem to be interested based on his actions and words. I have to think he could've gotten an assistant job in college or the NBA (more likely than college after the show cause).

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is not an opinion on how things ended with Kevin Ollie or his ongoing litigation. I'd be shocked if he gets a head coaching job in the NBA. I'd even be surprised if he gets a head coaching job at a mid-major or better in college (after his show cause). It's not just that he flamed out at UConn and not even the violations (the NBA wouldn't care), it's how it went down and what he's done since. There were rumors of KO mailing it in, and he's done nothing since being terminated. He needs to earn his way back up.

Look at Jeff Capel. Ran into NCAA issues and poor performance after a hot start (similar to KO) and was terminated in March 2001. He joined Duke's staff in May 2011 and after moving up the bench, he got the Pitt job in 2018. Granted, he was able to get a gig at his alma mater, whereas Ollie was fired by his, but KO has done nothing in 2+ years, and doesn't even seem to be interested based on his actions and words. I have to think he could've gotten an assistant job in college or the NBA (more likely than college after the show cause).
I can't see KO getting a job as an assistant in college basketball. Maybe in the pros, but you are right, post 2014 hasn't been a good look for him. Six years is a long time to be in a funk.

Reaction Score
Maybe with other job prospects he will be incentivized to instruct his lawyers to finally let the case go to arbitration and be done.
Maybe put it behind him and move forward.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1602090410721.png

Reaction Score
Kevin has to become an assistant next. He will get a job soon if he wants. I think the acrimony and uconn fallout will cost him.

Reaction Score
you wonder had Ollie bolted right after the championship, how long would he have lasted as the lakers coach (assuming that was the role that was open at the time that had interest in him?)

Reaction Score
i hope this happens just so the thunder become the worst franchise in the nba, surpassing the grizzlies, and are forced to sell the team to jeff bezos, who can move them back to Seattle. it's a race to the bottom between the thunder, girzzlies, and kings. they should all move to cities that actually attract a few visitors when there isnt a pandemic

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think KO might be a good coach in the NBA. He wasn’t equipped to win with any old ragtag bunch, but with good, creative guards, he can probably do pretty well. He knows the game, he just doesn’t know how to play it without a great point guard. He was flummoxed by that and recruiting. Give him players and a PG and he’s pretty good at game planning. He’s also motivational as hell when he’s in a good place mentally himself.

Reaction Score
I think KO might be a good coach in the NBA. He wasn’t equipped to win with any old ragtag bunch, but with good, creative guards, he can probably do pretty well. He knows the game, he just doesn’t know how to play it without a great point guard. He was flummoxed by that and recruiting. Give him players and a PG and he’s pretty good at game planning. He’s also motivational as hell when he’s in a good place mentally himself.
And remember in the NBA the coach has much less to do than in college. They have to coach games, run practices and manage egos and personalities in the NBA but there's a GM and a whole staff of people for most of the other stuff. If a player isn't in shape it's not the coach's fault in the NBA. If there aren't good enough players on the roster, well that's the GM's fault. If the schedule is too hard or too easy, the coach has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom