OKay! I'll say it. | The Boneyard

OKay! I'll say it.

Reaction Score
There were more than four very good teams this year. Someone was always going to run into a tough #2 seed. Some of these 1 and 2 seed teams are interchangeable, and I don't think you can fault the committee for their choices.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would say there were ONLY 4 very good teams this year.
Stanford, UConn, Baylor and SC.
The problem with so many OOC games being cancelled a better/more thorough NET rating could not be discerned. Based on the information we did have too many SEC teams were over rated, resulting in Texas A&M beating teams that probably were over ranked during the season. Baylor missed out on many OOC games so they were under ranked (logically so), The Big10 mostly eschewed OOC games so only Maryland was viewed as worthy.
This year was NET first year but I still believe that is a MUCH better evaluation tool than RPI.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Except that even if we win tonight, no national championship trophy will be handed out. Also Stanford and South Carolina have a good chance to beat us in the real national championship game.
South Carolina have a good chance to beat us in the real national championship game. There I fixed it for you. ?

I have to believe SC is going away from their strength. Dawn said all these other teams are making 3's so we have to join the party too. Which I don't understand. To me if the other teams are making 3's don't change your offense, change your defense. But that just points out my opinion of Dawn's coaching.

Stanford will be a different challenge. Their offense and defensive stats are comparable to UConn but still a few notches worse in both accounts. I haven't watched them too much but I feel that Williams and Brink are the most important component of their game. I think UConn will be able to neutralize both players offense.

I don't think either team will be able to stop UConn if they meet. But that doesn't mean I won't be on the edge of my seat several times if a UConn-SC/Tree match up happens.

Reaction Score
I have to believe SC is going away from their strength. Dawn said all these other teams are making 3's so we have to join the party too. Which I don't understand. To me if the other teams are making 3's don't change your offense, change your defense. But that just points out my opinion of Dawn's coaching.

Stanford will be a different challenge. Their offense and defensive stats are comparable to UConn but still a few notches worse in both accounts. I haven't watched them too much but I feel that Williams and Brink are the most important component of their game. I think UConn will be able to neutralize both players offense.

I don't think either team will be able to stop UConn if they meet. But that doesn't mean I won't be on the edge of my seat several times if a UConn-SC/Tree match up happens.
SC was a layup away from beating us in Storrs. A matchup with them is a 50-50 proposition at best as proven by the game last month, so no way should it be comforting to give a team a second bite at the apple on a neutral court. As for Stanford, somehow Tara has found ways to beat UConn over the years even when she has had lesser talent. Either of those teams will be a huge challenge assuming we get by Baylor and the winner of Indiana-Arizona, but probably best to not look ahead because tonight will be tough enough.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
There were more than four very good teams this year. Someone was always going to run into a tough #2 seed. Some of these 1 and 2 seed teams are interchangeable, and I don't think you can fault the committee for their choices.
True. And in all actuality, I really like our draw. With the lack of OOC games the only way for UConn to offer proof that they are the legitimate champion is to beat SC, Baylor, and Stanford. So My ideal is to beat Baylor and have Stanford beat SC, then beat Stanford. No arguments over the summer months about who deserves the title.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Stanford will handle Baylor in the Final Four and presents a bigger challenge for any opposition

Reaction Score
From your lips to God's ear (old Yiddish saying),

But Stanford looks pretty good and they are the top #1, for what that is worth.

Reaction Score
SC was a layup away from beating us in Storrs. A matchup with them is a 50-50 proposition at best as proven by the game last month, so no way should it be comforting to give a team a second bite at the apple on a neutral court. As for Stanford, somehow Tara has found ways to beat UConn over the years even when she has had lesser talent. Either of those teams will be a huge challenge assuming we get by Baylor and the winner of Indiana-Arizona, but probably best to not look ahead because tonight will be tough enough.
UConn is light years better now than they were in the SC game. To be fair, SC is also much better. Both teams have key injuries to reserve players.

Reaction Score
I think Stanford is likely to be more challenging than Baylor. If we beat Baylor I think
we'll beat whoever comes out of the Mercado region and get to the real championship
game.

Reaction Score
Stanford looked like the real deal last night. IF we meet them in the Championship game it's going to be a barn burner. But that is a big IF..because..WE ARE DOOMED!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
UConn is light years better now than they were in the SC game. To be fair, SC is also much better. Both teams have key injuries to reserve players.
??? Anna is OK now. I don't categorize Autumn as a key reserve. So who are the reserve players who are injured?

And don't say Nika ... she's injured, thus key, but she's a starter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor may have barely escaped Michigan but I definitely still see them presenting a major challenge for UCONN. I expect to see a different Baylor team compared to their past Saturday performance. I would have rather played Texas, Louisville, Arizona, or Indiana. Also since this is a Elite Eight game (the one I dread the most just like Geno) my anxiety is going to go through the roof until the final outcome. I really hope we prevail with the win tonight ?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Baylor may have barely escaped Michigan but I definitely still see them presenting a major challenge for UCONN.
I can understand that. I just didn't like the drift of the OP, seems rather dismissive and insulting to all the other teams left standing, several of which may very well be better than Baylor.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Who ever wins the national championship will have earned it. This year, there is no easy path to the trophy. You're going to have to beat several elite teams to win it all. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am really impressed by Tara's team this year, but we can't ignore that Geno's teams have won 11 games in the "modern era" 1995 forward and Stanford has won 4. The Cardinal's 2 championships are over 29 years ago. This may be changing because I believe the athleticism of Tara's teams has improved. If they meet it will be a great game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom