Okay, I'll say it. Samson > Clingan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Okay, I'll say it. Samson > Clingan?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone have the +/- splits between DC and SJ?

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Felt like last year Clingan was catching lobs non stop. Haven’t seen it this year, yet.
There were several times in these 2 games where either Cam or others were looking for the lob to Clingan but Clingan was not prepared for it. That shouldn’t be the case.

Reaction Score
Better matchup and tempo for Samson tonight. Clingan does need to work on his post game a bit. Often times its 1 move and shoot or trying to overpower.

Reaction Score
He had some really nice traffic rebounds too. Clingan can still erase the opposing teams best big. He just needs to get back in shape. Samson is infinitely more fluid but as J Will said, DC is a man masquerading as a mountain. Plus his defensive instincts are so good.

Reaction Score
Slamson was awesome tonight. So happy for him for sticking it out at UConn. I'm sure Hurley is pumping him up and telling him he can do that all the time.

You can tell Clingan is not in peak condition and out of sorts after the time off. He'll be better. Way too early to say Johnson is a better option. Especially after 1 great game from Johnson. Rich people's problems.

Reaction Score
They’re both gonna be great for us and tonight just imagine what this does for Johnson’s confidence! Clingan was off and we’ll find out why but we saw what he could do last year.

Reaction Score
Hopefully tonight puts a fire under Clingan. Gets him running more or whatever he does to keep his cardio up. He looked like a more traditional out of shape goon that gets up and down the floor poorly. Not the relatively quick 7'2" guy we watched last year.
Man, I can understand your frustration, but being out of shape has no relationship to being a goon.

Reaction Score
I think every post in this thread tugs at being valid. Nice discussion to have after losing a Sanogo.

Reaction Score
That was a good game by Samson. All the Boneyard genius critics that hammered Johnson all last year and this off season just lowered expectations. He will be a much better player in the coming months.

But Clingan is still coming back. He will return to his top form in a while. When he does, we will really be tough to beat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m as big a fan as any of us I expect and I‘d say, pump the brakes. Johnson was new to the game in HS. Then came here and was behind Whaley, Akok and Polley at times. Then lost last year to injury. He’s still learning the game and it shows. Physicality he’s easily an NBA level athlete. He has to get better at positioning on D, he backs up too readily and tries to rely on length and hops.

Donovan doesn’t look in game shape or is perhaps sick. It’s cold and flu season. He’s a dominant post defender and rebounder. He’s a good passer and made two nice assists early in this game. But his offense is limited and we are seeing teams deny him the ball. As with the double teams Adama was seeing, Hurley will find ways to get him the ball. But he’s not going to be a dominant scorer against most teams. His biggest value is defense and rebounding.

Johnson has advantages on offense. Better FT shooter, but mostly teams have to guard him on his screens, which makes him a really dangerous guy on PnR. More so than Donovan as teams are just playing off him. The quickness Johnson has going to the rim and leaping on PnR is so hard to defend.

Reaction Score
Hopefully tonight puts a fire under Clingan. Gets him running more or whatever he does to keep his cardio up. He looked like a more traditional out of shape goon that gets up and down the floor poorly. Not the relatively quick 7'2" guy we watched last year.
They keep calling him at 280, and iirc, it was 260 last year. He needs to get rid of that 20.

Reaction Score
Clingan has a major influence on the game, but he’s lacking in several areas. He isn’t a polished finisher, can’t shoot free throws and he gets gassed easily. I like both of them, but Clingan is overhyped for now.

Reaction Score
A whole lot of recency bias on the boneyard tonight! “Samson should be starting over Clingan! Diarra should be getting 35 minutes! “

They both had the best games of their careers tonight. Good for them, good for the team, good for us.

When DC and Castle are fully healthy and in shape those two will take this team to another level. That and If Samson and Hassan can build on tonight’s game we’re going to be a tough out in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Me too. I was screaming at my tv to put Sampson back in. Clingan missed an easy layup and then either allowed a layup or fouled the guy. He’s moving slow this year and hesitating around the rim.
I thought last night while he did some good things DC did not look good and today he was just bad. I think its safe to say hes not conditioned enough to play back to back nights because it really showed. SJ was sensational today and this was his coming out party. Hes only going to get better. We are all seeing a glimpse of what Hurley saw and told us early on. This kid could really be something special in the making that we`ll see over these next two years.

Reaction Score
Man, I can understand your frustration, but being out of shape has no relationship to being a goon.
I probably should of used the term stiff. or simply a traditional slow 7'er.... which is mostly what I meant.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's wait and see how they play against Kansas.
That’s going to be interesting because Dickenson can shoot from outside. He’d be very tough for Donovan outside. Inside it’s the opposite and DC will give him problems and he might bully Johnson.

Dixkenson is better than either of them, but both of our guys are better than Parker Braun. Get fouls on Hunter and KU has problems.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I thought last night while he did some good things DC did not look good and today he was just bad. I think its safe to say hes not conditioned enough to play back to back nights because it really showed. SJ was sensational today and this was his coming out party. Hes only going to get better. We are all seeing a glimpse of what Hurley saw and told us early on. This kid could really be something special in the making that we`ll see over these next two years.
I agree. I told my brother that Sampson reminded me a little of Stanley Robinson. They both play like they’re on pogo sticks. Sticks is one of my all-time favorites.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom