OK the euphoria is over. Now I worry about ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OK the euphoria is over. Now I worry about ...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Iam knew to boneyard but not to basketball i have been following it for years.If there was a way for me to apologize to Geno i would ,he has good ball players but not good enough for the no1 team,what i saw from our ball players was far more than basketball they believed in themselves and Geno did that he knows how to handle ball players and along with a lot of other people i thought they would get beat by at least 10 or more.Iam glad to see the recruits playing more.If there was a way i would pass this on to Geno

Welcome to the boneyard 5side, it’s a pleasure to have you join us. We’ll look for more of your comments in the days and weeks to come. :)

Reaction Score
Clearly there is no Gabby or Kia on this team as of yet. I do agree with you on Lou as a defender. I make the case for Mikayla based on her exceptional quickness, excellent footwork and positioning, and her theif like ability to pounce on wayward passes. Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t mind seeing her get a few minutes matched up with Asia Durr when UConn travels to Louisville.

This may not be a vintage Louisville team but they are very quick and athletic...............the kind of team that could give UConn problems............I wouldn't have a problem using MC on Durr at strategic moments making her work at both ends of the floor.......... especially if it keeps CD or CW out of foul trouble

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
We need Mikayla, because ONO, and Irwin can handle the back up big work. I think Mikayla can help us, I like her game. She just needs to calm down and also practice her shot. She could be valuable kinda like Kalana wasn't the best shooter but she drove the ball well and was great defensively. I can see that role for Mikayla as well as handling the ball.
I am uncomfortable whenever someone who rarely shoots enters a competitive game (fortunately IMO those games have been like hens' teeth over the past 20-some years). The opposing coaches quickly drop off that fifth, non-threatening person as they did regularly against Kelly Faris until her senior year.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
We need Mikayla, because ONO, and Irwin can handle the back up big work. I think Mikayla can help us, I like her game. She just needs to calm down and also practice her shot. She could be valuable kinda like Kalana wasn't the best shooter but she drove the ball well and was great defensively. I can see that role for Mikayla as well as handling the ball.
I am uncomfortable whenever someone who rarely shoots enters a competitive game (fortunately IMO those games have been like hens' teeth over the past 20-some years). The opposing coaches quickly drop off that fifth, non-threatening person as they did regularly against Kelly Faris until her senior year.

Reaction Score
Nothing to disagree with here! That's frustrating! Geno, Uconn, needs more from the bench.
Until Mikayla learns to slow down she'll never meet Geno's desires or needs. Geno has said she lacks confidence, maybe. In nearly all she does on the floor looks good and then she makes a pass in the wrong place, wrong time, usually too quickly. She is a talented Scorer or NOT; she drives to the basket and either make a play an 8th grader wouldn't make (passing into a pack or across it) when she had a great shot, or driving and not concentrating on the basket and the shot goes wild.
In my extreme limited coaching experiences, I taught my players to focus ONLY on the basket when shooting, pick a spot on the rim and stay there until the ball hits the basket.
That's what Mikyala needs FOCUS. CW doesn't need that focus: she knows where the ball is going every time it leaves her hand that's built into her.
Molly against St Louis played her best game in a Uconn Uniform. That is what all of us expected her to be when she arrived. She needs to do that again and often.
You are correct on all counts. However, do not lose sight of the opponent. St. Louis is in the same category as Vanguard. It was like an exhibition game. Molly can look good against that level of competition, every time. She would start for them and be just behind that St. Louis freshman guard, #32.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Watching Mikayla last night, she is exceptionally quick, has a great handle and could be UConn’s best defender. I think Geno will use her as much as he can with the understanding that she’s just not going to get many points for you.

If she's on with four of the starters, she doesn't need to score. She DOES need to make crisp passes and control turnovers. If she controls turnovers and continues the good defense, she can be a good contributor for 10-15 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
If she's on with four of the starters, she doesn't need to score. She DOES need to make crisp passes and control turnovers. If she controls turnovers and continues the good defense, she can be a good contributor for 10-15 minutes a game.
That is true. She needs to focus on that objective, and not try to do more.

Reaction Score
You are correct on all counts. However, do not lose sight of the opponent. St. Louis is in the same category as Vanguard. It was like an exhibition game. Molly can look good against that level of competition, every time. She would start for them and be just behind that St. Louis freshman guard, #32.
@Longtime fan--thanks for the nice reply. I was thinking while watching Molly in the ST Louie game: She looks good but isn't this team just a tad above a HS team?
I sincerely hope, now after losing Gordon, that she enters another phase and become moderately productive in big games. However, in this one I see Geno's frustration.

Reaction Score
Not the bench thing again Head bang. Our bench is contributing more than last year so far. Z was better than anyone we have this year but i personally think she hurt the flow of our team when she entered most of the time (she helped a lot against ND). We’ve seen contributions at different times from ONO, Kyla & Coombs. I like our bench, personally.
Our bench is good when we are playing second level teams but not against say the top ten teams.How many bench players played against N.D. only one.until they get some playing time you can't count on them and now three of them are hurt or sick.
Are any of are players transfering out?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Our bench is good when we are playing second level teams but not against say the top ten teams.How many bench players played against N.D. only one.until they get some playing time you can't count on them and now three of them are hurt or sick.
Are any of are players transfering out?
Looking at the rest of WBB, this is true for just about every other team. ND’s bench gave the Irish almost nothing against UConn. Checking the box score of the close game between Marquette & MS St last night, the Bulldogs got very little from their bench. Throughout WBB, the bigger the game, the shorter the bench

Reaction Score
UCONN will have a great season if we stay healthy. We can win it all if the top six players continue to excel and develop. By the time of the elite 8, no team plays a deep bench unless forced to ( fouls, injury, etc ), and our starting six can defeat anyone.

I suggest we enjoy this season as much as possible. Because the future seems murky. A future that is clouded by the 2019 recruiting results, and the inevitable concern of how much longer Geno and CD plan to coach ( something we will pretty much learn when they do, based upon their public
statements on the subject).

So as we used to say in the French Foreign Legion..." Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow, we may....."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, that's not even close. St. Louis is more in the range of Temple, SMU, E. Carolina.

Reaction Score
the bench. We desperately need two to step up. Mikayla has promise. I really like Kyla and Molly seems like one of the greatest kids. Lexi has great billing coming out of high school. But the thought of 6 primary players is a bit unnerving.

I can't help but agree. Lets hope everyone stays healthy. Next year will be interesting to see who the 5th starter will be. And who will be the first player or two off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom