OK ST Hammering Memphis at Memphis | The Boneyard

OK ST Hammering Memphis at Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And Memphis lost a starting guard to injury and their backcourt was struggling to begin with. Said he would miss about 6 weeks

Reaction Score
Troubling.

Didn't OSU blow out Memphis last year too? I seem to remember that happening. Big mystery: how did last year's Memphis team beat Louisville twice?

Reaction Score
For who? Memphis sucks this year. We knew that.
Except preseason they were ranked 3 in the league in some polls. OK St. Was ranked preseason 8th in the 12. By anyones's calculation with their past prominence they are hoped to be a power in our league. So if Memphis sucks this year what about the rest? No sense trying to ignore or sugarcoat this. That's what's troubling. It's troubling for a storied program (us) to be part of a crap league. Would have liked to see SMU, UCONN, Memphis, and Cincy have a realistic shot at 4 bids.

Reaction Score
Troubling for Memphis I guess, they are horrible this year. I think Memphis fans are finally coming to the realization that Pastner is a bad coach.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you, but the ineptitude of the league isn't exactly a mystery. For Memphis, this is only like their third or fourth worst loss this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish in the bottom half of the conference and that's saying a lot.

Of all the remaining teams, the only two I have even a slight hint of hope for are Cincinnati and SMU. I'd be surprised if SMU doesn't turn it around at some point - there's too much talent on the roster for a HOF coach like Larry Brown not to get something respectable out of it. Cincinnati has beaten up on a heavy diet of cupcakes to this point, but the going gets tougher for them starting now. They play @ Nebraska in about fifteen minutes, then host San Diego State and VCU next week.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you, but the ineptitude of the league isn't exactly a mystery. For Memphis, this is only like their third or fourth worst loss this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish in the bottom half of the conference and that's saying a lot.

Of all the remaining teams, the only two I have even a slight hint of hope for are Cincinnati and SMU. I'd be surprised if SMU doesn't turn it around at some point - there's too much talent on the roster for a HOF coach like Larry Brown not to get something respectable out of it. Cincinnati has beaten up on a heavy diet of cupcakes to this point, but the going gets tougher for them starting now. They play @ Nebraska in about fifteen minutes, then host San Diego State and VCU next week.

Signs point to Nebraska and VCU being not very good this year, while SDSU is high-ranked, but a mystery. Some sloppy performances.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
I'd be surprised if SMU doesn't turn it around at some point - there's too much talent on the roster for a HOF coach like Larry Brown not to get something respectable out of it.

His track record of the past 15 years would largely indicate otherwise. But people love thinking it's 1988.

Reaction Score
His track record of the past 15 years would largely indicate otherwise. But people love thinking it's 1988.

Which track record would that be?

He won an NBA championship with what was far from a ready-made juggernaut - demolishing Shaq and Kobe at the peak of their powers wasn't exactly a small feat.

He inherited a hopeless Bobcat roster and took them to the playoffs, then he rebuilt an SMU program into a should-have-been tournament team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The entire league has 1 win over a team that might finish in the Top 50, and that is UConn over Dayton.

Reaction Score
Which track record would that be?

He won an NBA championship with what was far from a ready-made juggernaut - demolishing Shaq and Kobe at the peak of their powers wasn't exactly a small feat.

He inherited a hopeless Bobcat roster and took them to the playoffs, then he rebuilt an SMU program into a should-have-been tournament team.

He also took Allen Iverson and a bunch of bums (and Kevin Ollie) to the NBA Finals in a year in which he was named NBA coach of the year.

Reaction Score
He also took Allen Iverson and a bunch of bums (and Kevin Ollie) to the NBA Finals in a year in which he was named NBA coach of the year.

Good call, I guess that was in the last fifteen years as well. For some reason, it's a popular sentiment that Larry Brown is overrated. I don't see it.

Reaction Score
Good call, I guess that was in the last fifteen years as well. For some reason, it's a popular sentiment that Larry Brown is overrated. I don't see it.
Wow, if that's the case it's a shame. Larry Brown is without a doubt one of the greatest coaches of all-time, just listen to him talk about the game and you quickly realize how special he is.

Reaction Score
The only halfway decent wins are Creighton, Dayton, and a couple SEC dregs (Auburn and Miss. St.) None of these schools are having good seasons.

Cincy tried very very hard to lose that game. But no matter how hard they tried, Nebraska tried even harder. And then at the end, Cincinnati succeeded. In losing. Double OT. nebraska had 2 made FGs in both OT combined. Cincinnati was up by 3 with 25 seconds left in the 1st OT. They fouled Nebraska twice, Nebraska shot 4 for 4. Cincy shot 1 for 4.

zls44

Reaction Score
Wow, if that's the case it's a shame. Larry Brown is without a doubt one of the greatest coaches of all-time, just listen to him talk about the game and you quickly realize how special he is.

All-time great coach...but I have seen nothing to indicate that he's gonna get SMU going in the right direction other than his resume from the past and (of course) two wins over the eventual national champs. Every time I watch an SMU game, I see a guy sitting on the bench surrounded by other coaches with a look on his face that screams "good thing the check clears...only 25 more games until I hit the beach!".

zls44

Reaction Score
The only halfway decent wins are Creighton, Dayton, and a couple SEC dregs (Auburn and Miss. St.) None of these schools are having good seasons.

Cincy tried very very hard to lose that game. But no matter how hard they tried, Nebraska tried even harder. And then at the end, Cincinnati succeeded. In losing. Double OT. nebraska had 2 made FGs in both OT combined. Cincinnati was up by 3 with 25 seconds left in the 1st OT. They fouled Nebraska twice, Nebraska shot 4 for 4. Cincy shot 1 for 4.

Far be it for me to accuse anyone of point shaving, but holy did that look like point shaving.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Except preseason they were ranked 3 in the league in some polls. OK St. Was ranked preseason 8th in the 12. By anyones's calculation with their past prominence they are hoped to be a power in our league. So if Memphis sucks this year what about the rest? No sense trying to ignore or sugarcoat this. That's what's troubling. It's troubling for a storied program (us) to be part of a crap league. Would have liked to see SMU, UCONN, Memphis, and Cincy have a realistic shot at 4 bids.
Memphis being horsesh$t has nothing to do with Uconn being successful. We all know they sucked. We all know the AAC sucks. It's not "troubling" since we all knew it was the case. Troubling is Uconn losing to yale.

Reaction Score
If there's nobody successful but us in the AAC how does KO recruit into the league? Oh wait, we don't care if Memphis is successful because we have Tulane. Even in the conference USA heyday they had a few strong teams. Hopefully it's just a down year for them.

Reaction Score
If there's nobody successful but us in the AAC how does KO recruit into the league? Oh wait, we don't care if Memphis is successful because we have Tulane. Even in the conference USA heyday they had a few strong teams. Hopefully it's just a down year for them.

Here's a scary thought. Memphis is recruiting better than UConn.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
AAC hoops, Memphis included, is a steaming pile this season..,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads