Ok Lets move on what does it take to beat Stanford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ok Lets move on what does it take to beat Stanford

Reaction Score
You play your normal game. Caroline was a regular in the mid season game. Not enough time to change much but Geno has been known to do just that. I hope Nika shows up in the line up early. She is he spark that gets this team going. I think she'd put the fear of the Husky into them.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I don't care what anyone says, Caroline IS in the dog house. Geno only sees the bad right now. For example, when Paige threw her that high pass that went out of bounds when she was wide open, that probably was interpreted as Caroline's fault. Caroline needs some time to get in the flow of the game. We've seen it over and over. She should be playing over 20 minutes vs Stanford but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets 6-8 minutes at best. My sense is that Geno is by nature a conservative. He goes with the tried and secure approach rather than the approach which might be a bit more risky but make the difference in a win. He should have Caroline spell the bigs some, especially in a 2 big lineup. They struggled in the small lineup against NC State but maybe that is because Caroline wasn't in the lineup.
The Professor of speculation and Geno mind-reading.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but after watching Stanford play the other night, its hard to imagine anyone beating them. Hope I am wrong
Getting a week to prepare, Tara is always good at coming up with a good game plan. Remember Stewie went 116-1 her last 3 years, the 1 loss was to Tara, and Stanford.

Reaction Score
What will it take to beat Stanford? Great question. I think in order to beat Stanford, the team is going to need to play a discipline game. From shot selection, passing of the ball, rebounding, offensive and defensive sets. Run Stanford's shooters off the 3-point line. Mix up the defense from time to time. And lastly, with all that this team has been through this season, and I am sure other teams have gone through a lot as well, but this UConn squad of 2021-22 has been super impressive. Faced a ton and has grown. Continue to trust each other out there. Play for each other. Have each other's backs out there.

Go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
Fast breaks run run run get Stanford tired ware them out. Pagie being Pagie being aggressive and shoot the ball we know Azzi will. Out bigs making layups and attacking to score or get fouled and everyone has to crash the boards on defense

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but after watching Stanford play the other night, its hard to imagine anyone beating them. Hope I am wrong
But Stanford lost to USF 54-57, and UConn beat USF 60-53. Anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Fast breaks run run run get Stanford tired ware them out. Pagie being Pagie being aggressive and shoot the ball we know Azzi will. Out bigs making layups and attacking to score or get fouled and everyone has to crash the boards on defense
I think foul trouble and defensive pressure is going to cause more problems for Stanford than tiring them out. Stanford players play comparatively small amount of minutes given how deep they are and how interchangeable they are at most positions. Getting Lacie Hull or Wilson into foul trouble would be the best way to get them very out of sync, as the place they are lacking depth is at point guard. But 2-5 is pretty stacked with replacements.

Reaction Score
They are a completely different team than when they played USF (as is UConn). Stanford was very out of sync offensively the first 6 games or so due to losing their point guard and not knowing what to do without her. But they are running pretty much on all cylinders the past 24 games or so.

Reaction Score
Stanford has so much size and length - but they also have the versatility to go with it, which makes them even tougher to play against. Those are my concerns, but I always worry about facing Stanford because of Tara. She game plans better than anyone (in my opinion) and seems to usually come up with a good game plan vs UConn.

I wonder if she will try what she did in the 2008 Final Four - they did a Triangle and 2 on Renee and Maya. Renee had 15 points, but it threw her off and made her very inefficient (she shot 4-18, 1-9 from 3). Maya had 19, but shot poorly as well (8-19, 3-11 from 3). I think she might try a T&2 on Paige and Azzi and make Christyn beat them (which she definitely can and she has played well in her two final four games). Or she might try a box and 1 on Paige a bit.

It makes me anxious to see what she does.

Reaction Score
The Professor of speculation and Geno mind-reading.
Geno took her out after that pass and she didn't see the court again. Evina is the experienced one but which one is more talented? If he gave Caroline the same PT I think Caroline would put up better numbers.

Reaction Score
Stanford still has a problem with turnovers. I expect a pressure defense intended to force turnovers. Stanford will work all week in how to break it and score.

Reaction Score
Control the Offensive boards and stay away from foul trouble.
Stanford is really a great team and well coached. I have much respect with this team. I hope UConn could beat them.

Kat

Reaction Score
Stanford hasn't lost this year--24 wins in a row after that loss on Dec. 31, 2021. They are on a roll.

Reaction Score
I've read all the posts in this thread and the one thing not mentioned so far that could be a factor: the crowd. The potential for a partisan, insane home town crowd behind their former Hopkins star won't hurt.

Reaction Score
Stanford has so much size and length - but they also have the versatility to go with it, which makes them even tougher to play against. Those are my concerns, but I always worry about facing Stanford because of Tara. She game plans better than anyone (in my opinion) and seems to usually come up with a good game plan vs UConn.

I wonder if she will try what she did in the 2008 Final Four - they did a Triangle and 2 on Renee and Maya. Renee had 15 points, but it threw her off and made her very inefficient (she shot 4-18, 1-9 from 3). Maya had 19, but shot poorly as well (8-19, 3-11 from 3). I think she might try a T&2 on Paige and Azzi and make Christyn beat them (which she definitely can and she has played well in her two final four games). Or she might try a box and 1 on Paige a bit.

It makes me anxious to see what she does.
Need another shooter in there- ahem, how about Caroline?

Reaction Score
Sorry - I'll be a Debbie Downer as well. I think we are too inconsistent game-to-game to beat Stanford. Let's not forget they are the defending Champs and they will be ready for UConn.

I would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Geno took her out after that pass and she didn't see the court again. Evina is the experienced one but which one is more talented? If he gave Caroline the same PT I think Caroline would put up better numbers.
I feel like you're a relative of hers. Your posts are all about her almost every time. Not that it's really bad thing.

Reaction Score
We need Paige to score early and often and not hold back her outstanding scoring ability until we are in deep trouble. Her unselfish play has got to be tempered with our need to get ahead and stay ahead in scoring. Can you imagine Diana Taurasi passing up on shots she knows she can make just to “help” others score? Time to take the gloves off so to speak.

Reaction Score
1. Get Brink in foul trouble. (She'll get some blocks but fouls too.)
2. Press. Not the entire game, but in spurts to break their rhythm. ONO be aggressive offensively
3. Fast breaks whenever possible.

Reaction Score
I love CD for the long term, but right now she still seems to be in a freshman slump that started when others came back from injuries and she got less playing time, and maybe less attention in practice and less time with the "first team". I think Geno has less confidence in her and unless she starts out 3 for 3 when he puts her in for a few minutes, he will pull her back out. Even though Evina was not shooting well against NC St, he used her in the fourth quarter. He has confidence in her, and she can still pull off those steals and race to the basket.

Reaction Score
We need Paige to score early and often and not hold back her outstanding scoring ability until we are in deep trouble. Her unselfish play has got to be tempered with our need to get ahead and stay ahead in scoring. Can you imagine Diana Taurasi passing up on shots she knows she can make just to “help” others score? Time to take the gloves off so to speak.
Did you even watch DT? She didn't carry those teams to championships alone, she took over when needed but she DID make the people around her better. If she didn't, she probably wouldn't have won those last two. She's not one of the greatest passers in history because she's just a shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom