OK Huskies - It's Time to Rock & Roll! | The Boneyard

OK Huskies - It's Time to Rock & Roll!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When the ref tosses the ball for the opening tip in Columbus between UConn and Stanford it will have been 225 days, 14 hours and approximately 42 minutes since Morgan Williams shot ended the Huskies bid for an unprecedented 5th straight national championship along with their 111-game winning streak...but who’s keeping track? While long-time BY’ers may disagree, I cannot remember another season that arrived with a greater sense of anticipation for Husky WBB fans.

The loaded Huskies boast 3 returning 1st team AA’s out of 4 returning starters plus a mercurial pg, who appears fully ready for “prime time”, a 6’6” sixth man, who could well be a 1st team AA on any other team, the top-rated freshmen in the country, who could well be the NFOY on any other team, and a group of talented reserves who are all vying for PT. Last season we had many questions. The team was inexperienced. It lacked depth. It lacked size. Those questions don’t exist this season.

After 2 exhibition games, it is fairly clear that this Husky team has a core of at least 7 incredibly talented players who may be as good as any 7 players that UConn has ever suited up at the same time. Gabby, Kia, Lou, Pheesa, Danger, Z & MW appear to be the core of this team. Hopefully, Molly, Coombs, BatCam or some other player can also develop sufficiently to become part of the regular game rotation.

In the Stanford Cardinal, UConn has a worthy 1st game opponent. While Stanford has lost 3 key players to graduation, Tara is perhaps the best WBB coach in the country not named Geno. She’ll have her team ready. They will play hard. I expect Stanford to hang around for a while, but I also expect UConn’s overpowering talent on offense to pull away. In fact, there is a possibility that UConn could overwhelm Stanford with their talent. If that happens, it will send shock waves through the rest of WBB.

There are always potential pitfalls in any season: injury, upsets, etc. But every indication is that this team is ready for the challenge and prepared to go the distance. If UConn blows through their non-conference schedule dispatching one ranked team after another, don’t be surprised if Dan Shaughnessy, or some other troll, raises the specter again that, “UConn is bad for WBB.” I personally hope to hear this complaint as I consider it to be a rallying cry for UConn WBB, which will only serve to enhance the spotlight on this Husky team.

OK Huskies – IT’S TIME TO ROCK & ROLL!!!

Reaction Score
When the ref tosses the ball for the opening tip in Columbus between UConn and Stanford it will have been 225 days, 14 hours and approximately 42 minutes since Morgan Williams shot ended the Huskies bid for an unprecedented 5th straight national championship along with their 111-game winning streak...but who’s keeping track? While long-time BY’ers may disagree, I cannot remember another season that arrived with a greater sense of anticipation for Husky WBB fans.

The loaded Huskies boast 3 returning 1st team AA’s out of 4 returning starters plus a mercurial pg, who appears fully ready for “prime time”, a 6’6” sixth man, who could well be a 1st team AA on any other team, the top-rated freshmen in the country, who could well be the NFOY on any other team, and a group of talented reserves who are all vying for PT. Last season we had many questions. The team was inexperienced. It lacked depth. It lacked size. Those questions don’t exist this season.

After 2 exhibition games, it is fairly clear that this Husky team has a core of at least 7 incredibly talented players who may be as good as any 7 players that UConn has ever suited up at the same time. Gabby, Kia, Lou, Pheesa, Danger, Z & MW appear to be the core of this team. Hopefully, Molly, Coombs, BatCam or some other player can also develop sufficiently to become part of the regular game rotation.

In the Stanford Cardinal, UConn has a worthy 1st game opponent. While Stanford has lost 3 key players to graduation, Tara is perhaps the best WBB coach in the country not named Geno. She’ll have her team ready. They will play hard. I expect Stanford to hang around for a while, but I also expect UConn’s overpowering talent on offense to pull away. In fact, there is a possibility that UConn could overwhelm Stanford with their talent. If that happens, it will send shock waves through the rest of WBB.

There are always potential pitfalls in any season: injury, upsets, etc. But every indication is that this team is ready for the challenge and prepared to go the distance. If UConn blows through their non-conference schedule dispatching one ranked team after another, don’t be surprised if Dan Shaughnessy, or some other troll, raises the specter again that, “UConn is bad for WBB.” I personally hope to hear this complaint as I consider it to be a rallying cry for UConn WBB, which will only serve to enhance the spotlight on this Husky team.
o

Not to slice and dice as it may appear I'm pulling those parts which I agree with more. Although there is nothing with which to disagree.\ I am more than pleased that you are a fan of great coaching whether Geno or another. Dan S as a human is entitled to his stupid opinions and this one which attribute to him, except for politicians, is one of the most disagreeable. Oldude, FAN--TASTIC!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s been a generation since UConn has lost 2 in a row, even the first game in a season after a year ending loss. Stanford is one of the few teams that we’ve faced after a loss that has more than a crazy wild upset chance to pull it off. But it would at least qualify as a wild upset. We all know how unexpectedly great we were last year. This team could be crazy wild great.

Reaction Score
At the macro level, some of us may only be happy with an undefeated, blow-out season; others with just an undefeated seasons; others would "settle" for a loss or two, so long as it's not in the final game. Beyond that, some may need to see 3 1st team AAs, or some other honor for specific players, etc.

But as with all Geno-coached teams, the devil is in the details. Drilling down on expectations, it's the level of play, game after game. How to stay sharp in a 50 point blow out? How to stay cool in a close game? Is this team as efficient as last year's with assists/point ratio? Does Lou continue to improve her defense; Pheesa her passing; Gabby her outside shot; Kia her layups; Crystal her consistency; Z her underneath work? Do the subs play effectively when they get playing time? Does Geno learn to tweet out the correct game time?

Years from now, most of us will look back and judge this season by only one metric: is there a 12th banner in Gampel with this year on it? But for the next 5 months let's enjoy the small things too. It's getting those small things right that makes the big things go. And let's remember that the team does improve on those small things as the season goes along--but so do other teams.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the macro level, some of us may only be happy with an undefeated, blow-out season; others with just an undefeated seasons; others would "settle" for a loss or two, so long as it's not in the final game. Beyond that, some may need to see 3 1st team AAs, or some other honor for specific players, etc.

But as with all Geno-coached teams, the devil is in the details. Drilling down on expectations, it's the level of play, game after game. How to stay sharp in a 50 point blow out? How to stay cool in a close game? Is this team as efficient as last year's with assists/point ratio? Does Lou continue to improve her defense; Pheesa her passing; Gabby her outside shot; Kia her layups; Crystal her consistency; Z her underneath work. Do the subs play effectively when they get playing time? Does Geno learn to tweet out the correct game time?

Years from now, most of us will look back and judge this season by only one metric: is there a 12th banner in Gampel with this year on it? But for the next 5 months let's enjoy the small things too. It's getting those small things right that makes the big things go. And let's remember that the team does improve on those small things as the season goes along--but so do other teams.
Great stuff Bags.

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more! That loss last year to Miss St. left us all(players and coaches included) with a bad taste in our mouth. I think there is definitely a sense of urgency this year and I for one can't wait until we come out and put a hurting on somebody. Unfortunately for Stanford, it is just a case of wrong place, wrong time!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

But as with all Geno-coached teams, the devil is in the details. Drilling down on expectations, it's the level of play, game after game. How to stay sharp in a 50 point blow out? How to stay cool in a close game? Is this team as efficient as last year's with assists/point ratio? Does Lou continue to improve her defense; Pheesa her passing; Gabby her outside shot; Kia her layups; Crystal her consistency; Z her underneath work? Do the subs play effectively when they get playing time? Does Geno learn to tweet out the correct game time?

One possession at a time, for 38 games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Ok, that's it. Paul Doyle, move over. We now have our own "in-house" columnist. Oldude, this is one of the finest pieces I've read here in the yard or any on-line media outlet. I look forward to more of your unabashed comments and takes throughout the year.

Reaction Score
Huge boatload of good stuff today, fellas. I'd like to add one more: the sheer beauty of the game played really well in the manner of a team. There is an aesthetic to UConn bb lacking anywhere else. It goes by several names (teamwork, chemistry, etc.), but I'd call it the beauty that's followed by a gasp. When everything works perfectly, when balls are delivered with precision, when players move constantly in a choreographed dance designed to get open, when balls are stripped and 6'6" players run out for an easy lay-up, when the ball smacks the net as a final exclamation point. Defense, too, has its beauty: when a full-court press leads to a turn-over, when a wall is set to deny drives, when players attack the perimeter to disrupt plays, when an opponent is handed-off to 2 other Huskies lying in wait, when players run switches to frustrate every attempt by an opponent to get open. Just observing the general flow of the UConn team w/out fixing on a particular player can be a thing of beauty. Hey, baby, it's just bb as no one else plays it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ok, that's it. Paul Doyle, move over. We now have our own "in-house" columnist. Oldude, this is one of the finest pieces I've read here in the yard or any on-line media outlet. I look forward to more of your unabashed comments and takes throughout the year.
Ah shucks....:oops:

Reaction Score
Huge boatload of good stuff today, fellas. I'd like to add one more: the sheer beauty of the game played really well in the manner of a team. There is an aesthetic to UConn bb lacking anywhere else. It goes by several names (teamwork, chemistry, etc.), but I'd call it the beauty that's followed by a gasp. When everything works perfectly, when balls are delivered with precision, when players move constantly in a choreographed dance designed to get open, when balls are stripped and 6'6" players run out for an easy lay-up, when the ball smacks the net as a final exclamation point. Defense, too, has its beauty: when a full-court press leads to a turn-over, when a wall is set to deny drives, when players attack the perimeter to disrupt plays, when an opponent is handed-off to 2 other Huskies lying in wait, when players run switches to frustrate every attempt by an opponent to get open. Just observing the general flow of the UConn team w/out fixing on a particular player can be a thing of beauty. Hey, baby, it's just bb as no one else plays it.
" The beautiful game...."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's been too long since I've posted a song. This is one of the all-time greats. Second verse is applicable (quoted from memory:

I'm the king in fighting competition
And the other pieces are there for my art and my tactics now
All my games are won before they're played, for
I have planned that no opposition can stage a fight
I'll play the game
And never ever lose

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Great stuff. This team is going to be something special. The expectations are merited, but I also hope that we can temper our greediness just enough to enjoy the process of watching them grow and get better over the course of a difficult schedule. Let the fun and excitement begin.

I do feel compelled to indulge one bit of fact-checking minutia: "The loaded Huskies boast 3 returning 1st team AA’s out of 4 returning starters ...". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm aware of three entities that select All-American teams: the AP, the WBCA, and the USBWA. The AP selects a first, second, and third team of 5 members each. The WBCA and USBWA select a single 10-member team. Gabby was selected AP Second Team and was included in both the WBCA and USBWA 10-member teams. So while we can certainly claim to have three returning All-Americans, only two of them are "first team" (by the AP).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great stuff. This team is going to be something special. The expectations are merited, but I also hope that we can temper our greediness just enough to enjoy the process of watching them grow and get better over the course of a difficult schedule. Let the fun and excitement begin.

I do feel compelled to indulge one bit of fact-checking minutia: "The loaded Huskies boast 3 returning 1st team AA’s out of 4 returning starters ...". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm aware of three entities that select All-American teams: the AP, the WBCA, and the USBWA. The AP selects a first, second, and third team of 5 members each. The WBCA and USBWA select a single 10-member team. Gabby was selected AP Second Team and was included in both the WBCA and USBWA 10-member teams. So while we can certainly claim to have three returning All-Americans, only two of them are "first team" (by the AP).
If I added preseason before AA, we could also include the AP AA team with three 1st team Huskies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If I added preseason before AA, we could also include the AP AA team with three 1st team Huskies.
Ah, yes, I completely forgot about the preseason team. :(

Reaction Score
It's been too long since I've posted a song. This is one of the all-time greats. Second verse is applicable (quoted from memory:

I'm the king in fighting competition
And the other pieces are there for my art and my tactics now
All my games are won before they're played, for
I have planned that no opposition can stage a fight
I'll play the game
And never ever lose

I don't know why, but I've never heard this group. They sound like Yes on Valium.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but I've never heard this group. They sound like Yes on Valium.

Gentle Giant was to Yes as Yes was to pop music. Their lead singer once said something to the effect, "We wanted to make very interesting music with the risk of being very unpopular." I first bought the album pictured above just because I liked the cover, still love them 40+ years later.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom