Ok how does everyone respond? | The Boneyard

Ok how does everyone respond?

Reaction Score
Before yesterday, the focus of defenses would've been Napheesa & KLS, and CD to some extent. I think CW now moves up to #3 on that list.

Be interesting to see how CW responds to getting more defensive attention.
And should be more opportunities for CD & Walker.

Reaction Score
Before yesterday, the focus of defenses would've been Napheesa & KLS, and CD to some extent. I think CW now moves up to #3 on that list.

If CW gets more defensive attention, Lou and Pheesa will burn them. I still think teams will still let CW proves to them she can do it again and again, rather than let Lou/Pheesa do it because the other teams know they can.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Since UConn is showing that it has offensive weapons at every position there reallly isn't much that other teams can do other than what ND did. That is to place their best defensive guard on her and face guard her. Face guarding is however physically intensive, and it generally limits the defenders offensive game, and you can't face guard everyone. Again, options such as a box and one or help weak side or on the perimeter just opens up the floor for UConn's other scorers. It's a tough situation for future UConn oposition to deal with.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We ( Me, Kevin McGruff, and @bbballfan23) all said at the beginning of the season that this lineup is going to be very hard to guard because you have 5 players that can score from all three levels. It just got harder for the rest of WCBB. Keep in mind we haven't seen the best of CW's game yet, per Kara that's the mid range and I'm sure Shea is teaching CW post up moves as well. For the rest of college WBB playing UCONN will be like playing whack a mole. UCONN has 5 players that are unselfish enough to recognize when it is their turn to carry the team, gifted enough passers to find open players, and trusting enough to know that the ball is coming your way if you work hard enough to get open.

Reaction Score
We ( Me, Kevin McGruff, and @bbballfan23) all said at the beginning of the season that this lineup is going to be very hard to guard because you have 5 players that can score from all three levels. It just got harder for the rest of WCBB. Keep in mind we haven't seen the best of CW's game yet, per Kara that's the mid range and I'm sure Shea is teaching CW post up moves as well. For the rest of college WBB playing UCONN will be like playing whack a mole. UCONN has 5 players that are unselfish enough to recognize when it is their turn to carry the team, gifted enough passers to find open players, and trusting enough to know that the ball is coming your way if you work hard enough to get open.

This team is more offensively gifted than teams from last several years.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

And with ONO added to the mix it gives UConn a chance to rest players when needed. The next big test is Baylor.

Reaction Score
I said before the season, CW would be our third scoring option. She outplayed & outclassed Arike. She is an absolute star in the making! Let’s pump the brakes on the DT & Stewie comparisons and just let CW be CW! She will have her great games and bad games this season and will be our 3rd option but I think we all know how she will respond when the lights are brightest!

How do you guard these 5!?!? Dare I say, this team is better than last years?? Lou & CD healthy and a year older. Pheesa back to her sophomore ways. Megan has been great & we’ve seen what CW can do. Oh did I forget to mention, ONO off the bench will be a monster come March!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I said before the season, CW would be our third scoring option. She outplayed & outclassed Arike. She is an absolute star in the making! Let’s pump the brakes on the DT & Stewie comparisons and just let CW be CW! She will have her great games and bad games this season and will be our 3rd option but I think we all know how she will respond when the lights are brightest! How do you guard these 5!?!? Dare I say, this team is better than last years?? Lou & CD healthy and a year older. Pheesa back to her sophomore ways. Megan has been great & we’ve seen what CW can do. Oh did I forget to mention, ONO off the bench will be a monster come March!
I would have to pump the breaks on this team being better than last year. Last years team graduated consecutive National Defensive Players the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In reality the ND game means very little as one game does not a season make..........................put this win in your pocket and just keep moving......................hopefully CW will continue with her aggressive play and perhaps Geno can effectively use an eight man rotation in non competitive games to give the first five a break..................continued great team play, the development of the two freshmen and the two sophs and good health are what''s going to get this team to the finish line.........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have to pump the breaks on this team being better than last year. Last years team graduate consecutive National Defensive Players the year.
Yes but how do last years numbers defensively rank to this years teams? I know we’re ranked 1 in the country and showed what we can do again. Offensively this team is on another level than the team last year. That’s all I’m saying.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes but how do last years numbers defensively rank to this years teams? I know we’re ranked 1 in the country and showed what we can do again. Offensively this team is on another level than the team last year. That’s all I’m saying.
I have not checked the defensive numbers yet. I'm just reiterating what I thought we had previously agreed to: The success of this season will come down to being able to make a few key defensive stops. I'm just saying Gabby and Kia would be better equipped to get me stops just ask Durr and Turner when she was healthy.

JordyG

Reaction Score
But let's also consider that CW gave up almost as much as she scored. So let's just trim back our all around expectations. After all there was a reason why Geno thought ND may put up the most amount of points they ever have against this team.

CW has a bit of work to do defensively, and the better teams are going to take advantage of this. CD is also going to be tested as bigger guards will try to post her up on the block, although she is tougher to take off the dribble. The problem for the rest of WCBB is that you can see that physically and mentally CW has the tools to be a lock down defender as well as an offensive nightmare.

Let's not sleep on Liv either. That "Get that weak @%&@t outta here" was the moment that got me out of my chair, and there's a lot more where that came from. She has what seems a nice stroke, but she occasionally does a little hitch at the FT line that throws her off. She also hesitated shooting a 3 at one point, got the ball to Meg late in the shot clock, and Meg had the ball jacked back in her face. For long stretches yesterday Geno had one senior, 2 freshmen, a sophomore, and a junior whuppin' that ND behind. Me likey that the most.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'd say they have the potential to be better offensively but CW and MW will both have to show scoring consistency to make that a reality....................after all we;re only seven games into the season.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In reality the ND game means very little as one game does not a season make......put this win in your pocket and just keep moving.......hopefully CW will continue with her aggressive play and perhaps Geno can effectively use an eight man rotation in non competitive games to give the first five a break...continued great team play, the development of the two freshmen and the two sophs and good health are what''s going to get this team to the finish line....
Can we have at least 48-72 hours before you go poo pooing a HUGE victory?
th

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
In reality the ND game means very little as one game does not a season make......put this win in your pocket and just keep moving.......hopefully CW will continue with her aggressive play and perhaps Geno can effectively use an eight man rotation in non competitive games to give the first five a break...continued great team play, the development of the two freshmen and the two sophs and good health are what''s going to get this team to the finish line....
It meant something to me. A little payback for last year, a little doubt thrown into ND's minds. A little questioning of their desire, and a little acknowledement that yeah, this ain't last year, and repeating is the hardest thing to do in sports. It may just be so very little, but the margin between going home in the FF last year, or any year, and victory is razor thin.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This team is more offensively gifted than teams from last several years.
Giftted in a different way. We scored lots of points last year. And Lou and CD are healthier this year. They are going to tough for anyone to defend. Should be a great year to be a Husky! :D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Can we have at least 48-72 before you go poo pooing a HUGE victory?
th
Like the ebb and flow of the tides, the waxing and waning of the moon, the rising and setting of the sun, the slow and inexorable march of time, some things are just immutable. Charlieball is such a force!

Reaction Score
Boy what difference a week and a big win makes. So I see most of you stepped back from the ledge. Just enjoy. There will be bumps in the road.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And with ONO added to the mix it gives UConn a chance to rest players when needed. The next big test is Baylor.
Yes, and wouldn't it be great if Liv pulled the trigger on the three and made a couple during a game? Coaches would be hollering "No Fair!!"

Reaction Score
I'd say they have the potential to be better offensively but CW and MW will both have to show scoring consistency to make that a reality.....after all we;re only seven games into the season...

You’re correct, since during a college regular season you will have about 5 games where you are lights out, about 5 where you leave an odor in the arena, and all the others are somewhere in between. It sure is nice though that game #7 was one of the real good ones, considering the opponent. One thing I have always admired about this program is the level of consistency they are able to maintain. It’s obviously easier to do with very talented players, but you’re still dealing with young adults, which adds a degree of difficulty to that goal. Geno has 6 very, very gifted players, and barring injury, it will take a good bunch to get them. Nothing wrong with having good players though- hard to have a zoo without animals. I hope that statement doesn’t violate anyone’s sense of PC, since many many moons of being around locker rooms has given me a jaded idea of what that really means.

Reaction Score
Yes, and wouldn't it be great if Liv pulled the trigger on the three and made a couple during a game? Coaches would be hollering "No Fair!!"
Hey why not Stef occasionally did so.

Reaction Score
Like the ebb and flow of the tides, the waxing and waning of the moon, the rising and setting of the sun, the slow and inexorable march of time, some things are just immutable. Charlieball is such a force!

just trying to remind some of these folks that the regular season isn't over now that the big green dragon has been slain.................when they play like crap against Oklahoma or Seton Hall I don't want to hear "what happened to that great team I saw a few games ago"?

Reaction Score
It meant something to me. A little payback for last year, a little doubt thrown into ND's minds. A little questioning of their desire, and a little acknowledement that yeah, this ain't last year, and repeating is the hardest thing to do in sports. It may just be so very little, but the margin between going home in the FF last year, or any year, and victory is razor thin.

I didn't mean to imply that the game wasn't important as it happened, just that it's not best for a team to dwell on a bad loss or a great victory for too long..................... a few weeks from now when your watching them slog through a game against Central Florida you're not going to be dwelling on what was but more on what has yet to come.......

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Different teams will try different things, like DePaul trying to tire them out with fresh bodies and Jack-up threes... but if teams are smart, just like Notre Dame tried, they would try to limit the proven player's (KLS & NC) touches and let the newbie Starters MW and KW prove that they can be consistent scorers. Most teams will also try to get them in foul trouble as the best way to stop a person from scoring is to have them off the floor entirely and with UConn depth issue(s) that might be the best strategy if you can effectively execute it..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom