Ohio State WBB's newfound emphasis on defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio State WBB's newfound emphasis on defense

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting. I am guessing they may like the idea of televising all offense / no defense games ? Extra Bonus: Mitchell shooting from all over the arena including half court?

We need a statistician to tell us when Mitchell's widely predicted scoring record will occur.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe not defensive stars but just about ANY player that hustles can be a solid defender.
There could be a player who is the best hustler on her team, but if she is slow afoot and lacks lateral quickness, she will not be a solid defender, imo. I've seen a number of players like that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ohio State does need to play better defense. The also need more people taking shots. Mitchell takes most of the shots. They need more balance on offense.
To your point Kelsey Mitchell took 609 shots for tOSU last year. That was more than twice as many shots as the next player Sierra Calhoun with 299.
Of course when your father is an assistant coach you probably didn't sing on to pass the ball.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
To your point Kelsey Mitchell took 609 shots for tOSU last year. That was more than twice as many shots as the next player Sierra Calhoun with 299.
Of course when your father is an assistant coach you probably didn't sing on to pass the ball.
True I didn't look up the numbers. Just what I saw when I saw the team. I think that sharing the ball on offense is something needed. As much as the defense is. If Ohio State is going to be a top team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We need a statistician to tell us when Mitchell's widely predicted scoring record will occur.
She has a chance to pass Kelsey Plum's scoring late in the season. She has a chance to pass Kaleena's 3-point record early in the season. I'm not sure how many she needs, but I guess it's about 35. She has 2 of the top seasons ever and another season that was close.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Part of good defense is taking shots where the floor is balanced and you prevent run outs. There is a difference between a good shot and I'm open shot.

If anyone takes the first shot and the floor isn't balanced, team D will go out the window due to frustration.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plum finished with 3,527 points. Mitchell is at 2,553. So she needs 975 points to break the record. If Ohio State plays 34 games (a conservative estimate) and if Kelsey plays in all of them, she'd need to average 28.7 points per game to break the record. If Ohio State does extremely well in the postseason tournaments, the threshold would be closer to 26 or 27 points per game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mitchell definitely has a chance to break the scoring record, but it's far from a given. She's just under 1000 points away. Her previous best single season was 889 as a Soph. Last year was actually the lowest point total of her career. It will be interesting to follow this year. Even if she gets the record, I'll still take Plum any day of the week. And I'll go on record now as saying there is zero chance she has as good of a Sr. year as Plum did.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Also includes a game at Cincinnati (?!). I am wondering if ESPN is banking on Ohio State getting to the Final Four in Columbus.
ESPN probably banking on Mitchell making a run at Plum's record.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Also includes a game at Cincinnati (?!). I am wondering if ESPN is banking on Ohio State getting to the Final Four in Columbus.

Maybe its part of their compliance with the FTC's fairness rule? :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno has often said than defense wins championships, offense tells you by how much. Yes, defense is about effort , heart, and how or if coaches teach it. But the truth is all that goes out with the wash if the enitre team doesn't play it as a team, trust each other on defense, and lastly and just as importantly have the CONDITIONING to play hard defense effectively for 4 quarters and then turn around and play transitional offense. Few teams have this ability inWCBB, so even fewer have been able to consistently challenge the Husky's year after year. Some may have a class or two that have all of these qualities, but most fall to the wayside. This is the challenge facing Muffet, Tara, Shcaefer, and now Dawn.

Reaction Score
When you effectively compromise the integrity of a program in recruiting a shooter by hiring her father simultaneously, any thoughts about defense--which is about sacrificing individuality for the sake of the team--is just blowing smoke. The other kids look down the bench at her father and see that one player is a lot more important than the rest of them and think that they're not going to sacrifice their bodies for the glory of one future #1 draft pick.
Nah... You're thinking way to deep.

Reaction Score
Mitchell definitely has a chance to break the scoring record, but it's far from a given. She's just under 1000 points away. Her previous best single season was 889 as a Soph. Last year was actually the lowest point total of her career. It will be interesting to follow this year. Even if she gets the record, I'll still take Plum any day of the week. And I'll go on record now as saying there is zero chance she has as good of a Sr. year as Plum did.
I think Mitchell game is a bit more versatile. From what I seen, Mitchell can make more plays around the rim than Plum. What you think?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Mitchell game is a bit more versatile. From what I seen, Mitchell can make more plays around the rim than Plum. What you think?

I obviously have to admit to bias, and also I haven't seen Mitchell play much. Plum was very, very good in the lane though, no problems at all finishing around the rim. She's got all the angles, spin shots, dipsy dos, knows just how to put the ball beyond the reach of a taller defender. And finishes well through contact because she's strong. Both are good at drawing fouls.

As far as my statement about Mitchell not being able to replicate Plum's Sr. year, mostly what I'm referring to is offensive efficiency and consistency every single game, all season long. Plum was phenomenal last year, she didn't really have a bad game all season. If you didn't get a chance to watch her on a regular basis, you missed something remarkable. Also Plum increased her FG% almost .100 from her previous best. That's a fairly stunning improvement, especially for a perimeter oriented player. I would be very surprised if Mitchell showed a similar level of improvement this late into her career.

Reaction Score
I obviously have to admit to bias, and also I haven't seen Mitchell play much. Plum was very, very good in the lane though, no problems at all finishing around the rim. She's got all the angles, spin shots, dipsy dos, knows just how to put the ball beyond the reach of a taller defender. And finishes well through contact because she's strong. Both are good at drawing fouls.

As far as my statement about Mitchell not being able to replicate Plum's Sr. year, mostly what I'm referring to is offensive efficiency and consistency every single game, all season long. Plum was phenomenal last year, she didn't really have a bad game all season. If you didn't get a chance to watch her on a regular basis, you missed something remarkable. Also Plum increased her FG% almost .100 from her previous best. That's a fairly stunning improvement, especially for a perimeter oriented player. I would be very surprised if Mitchell showed a similar level of improvement this late into her career.
I must admit I have not seen much of Plum but some nonetheless. From what I have seen she is a SCORER! Her style of play is why I consider her more of a combo guard, same with Mitchell. I would say Plum game is getting buckets, but I think Mitchell has better play making potential. All in all, two players I enjoy and enjoyed watching on the collegiate level. But if I had my choice I just may have to go with Mitchell ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
When you effectively compromise the integrity of a program in recruiting a shooter by hiring her father simultaneously, any thoughts about defense--which is about sacrificing individuality for the sake of the team--is just blowing smoke. The other kids look down the bench at her father and see that one player is a lot more important than the rest of them and think that they're not going to sacrifice their bodies for the glory of one future #1 draft pick.

Well said. I've wondered if this situation (hiring Mitchell's dad) might have something to do with frosh recruits looking elsewhere. Yet, the program seems to have greener grass for transfers like
Linnae Harper (Kentucky), Stephanie Mavunga (North Carolina) and Sierra Calhoun (Duke).

I'll be very interested to see: 1) if there's any change in the defense and hustle on 50/50's; 2) If Coach Mitchell is still a coach once his daughter is in the WNBA; and 3) If that makes any difference in terms of procuring talent and retention.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plum shared playmaking duties at least half of her career, but she was the PG her Jr. and Sr. year. She might not be a prototypical PG, but she ran the offense very well last year. She works the pick and roll effectively. She tried very hard to get other teammates involved last year, especially early in games. Unfortunately outside of Osahor nobody else could hit shots consistently. You can't get assists if your teammates can't finish.

Their stats overall are fairly similar thru the first 3 years. Both struggled w/ A:TO early in their career. Plum showed a huge improvement her Sr. year. Mitchell was trending upward in that department her Jr. year. I'm sure which player a person prefers is largely dependent on which one they watched play more often. One thing in favor of Plum is that she played a huge role in elevating her program to a level they had never reached before. First ever Final 4, most wins in a single season, most wins in a 2 year period. I don't think Mitchell has elevated the tOSU program to anywhere near the same degree Plum did at UW.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2) If Coach Mitchell is still a coach once his daughter is in the WNBA

At least in men's hoops, it seems like the parent almost always ceases to be a coach after the player departs in these situations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom