Ohio State WBB's newfound emphasis on defense | The Boneyard

Ohio State WBB's newfound emphasis on defense

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I especially like the part where he concludes that defense is all about having enough heart - thereby taking his inability to coach it off the list of suspects.
I think that quote about heart was from Kelsey Mitchell.

Reaction Score
“Overall, our defense has not been good. I’m not gonna lie, it’s been bad all four years I’ve been here,” Mitchell said. “We’ve been good in spurts, but it’s bad because we can’t piece it together the whole season.”

Women's basketball | High-scoring Ohio State makes defense the top priority

It's been bad because playing good defense takes effort, heart, and selflessness. These traits have not exactly been the hallmark of the OSU program!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not gonna happen. Good defensive teams like UConn, SC & Stanford develop their defensive toughness over years of consistent hard work and commitment. You can’t just turn it on by saying we’re going to play better defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Individual stellar defense is rare and is just not taught at HS / AAU (especially for the stars). Team defense with communication is critical and must be coached. Of course individual defense can improve but in the scheme of winning a NC, it is secondary. In the glorious history of UConn, how many stellar elite individual defensive players were there? Who come to my mind are MoJeff, Kia Stokes, Gabby Williams and Kelly Faris. Others? I don't view Stewie in that mode even though she had some great efforts but I think that was more in the team defense mode.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Speaking literally and figuratively, there is no D in Kelsey Mitchell, the Ohio State WBB or Kevin McGuff. This is not a coincidence!

Thank god for Chris Dailey. Now I have more hope for Crystal Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
Individual stellar defense is rare and is just not taught at HS / AAU (especially for the stars). Team defense with communication is critical and must be coached. Of course individual defense can improve but in the scheme of winning a NC, it is secondary. In the glorious history of UConn, how many stellar elite individual defensive players were there? Who come to my mind are MoJeff, Kia Stokes, Gabby Williams and Kelly Faris. Others? I don't view Stewie in that mode even though she had some great efforts but I think that was more in the team defense mode.

What do these players have in common? A relentless motor that just refuses to stop. It does take some god given gifts to be a good defender, like quickness for a guard, size for a post, but the majority of it is simply hustle!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Defense has to be a staple identity and hallmark of your program. A good defensive identity is not something that can be installed over the course of an offseason.

I applaud them for trying and I appreciate Mitchell's honesty. It's a start.

Reaction Score
When you effectively compromise the integrity of a program in recruiting a shooter by hiring her father simultaneously, any thoughts about defense--which is about sacrificing individuality for the sake of the team--is just blowing smoke. The other kids look down the bench at her father and see that one player is a lot more important than the rest of them and think that they're not going to sacrifice their bodies for the glory of one future #1 draft pick.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of course individual defense can improve but in the scheme of winning a NC, it is secondary. In the glorious history of UConn, how many stellar elite individual defensive players were there? Who come to my mind are MoJeff, Kia Stokes, Gabby Williams and Kelly Faris. Others? I don't view Stewie in that mode even though she had some great efforts but I think that was more in the team defense mode.
Are you saying individual defense is secondary to team defense? Or are you saying that defense is secondary to offense? I would strongly disagree with the latter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What do these players have in common? A relentless motor that just refuses to stop. It does take some god given gifts to be a good defender, like quickness for a guard, size for a post, but the majority of it is simply hustle!

I think there are a lot of hustle players that may not be defensive stars. You need instincts and timing as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Are you saying individual defense is secondary to team defense? Or are you saying that defense is secondary to offense? I would strongly disagree with the latter.

Individual defense is secondary to team defense. If I said "defense is secondary to offense", I would rightly lose BY status. Sorry if I was unclear.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Individual defense is secondary to team defense. If I said "defense is secondary to offense", I would rightly lose BY status. Sorry if I was unclear.
Your BY status is very secure. I was trying to make this very point in an earlier post. When you watch a Geno coached team & assuming you are basketball junkie like me you have to marvel at the team defensive cohesion and the solid defensive techniques. When people see Geno freaking out on the sidelines it is most often over a blown defensive assignment.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it.

Goddamnit-i-wanted-to-point-that-one-out-_b0e398449555851b290430ca99c617ae.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve always believed that great offensive players are born with the ability to score while great defensive players are the result of years of incredibly hard work.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Close has been to Uconn to watch quite a few of Geno practices and you can bet that she was watching how he gets his teams to play great TEAM defense. After all, it is the TEAM that has to play great defense in order for the team to be great. We are still not there, but we have definitely become a better defensive TEAM.

It's funny I don't recall McGuff ever being known for his defense, so if he is just starting now, and he actually does know what he is doing, the results won't be visible for quite some time as it takes reps on reps on reps.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog