OT: - Ohio State seeks to trademark the word 'The' | The Boneyard

OT: Ohio State seeks to trademark the word 'The'

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The school, formally known as The Ohio State University, is seeking a trademark on the word "The" for use on clothing and hats. According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the filing was made Thursday.

Would this mean UConn couldn't sell shirts that say "The University of Connecticut" without a royalty or permission to Ohio State if their trademark is approved?

Either way, it's interesting and also a little pretentious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Calling @kobe:

Why are we called "THE" Ohio State University"?
In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.
However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:
"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'" Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.
Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Calling @kobe:

Why are we called "THE" Ohio State University"?
In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.
However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:
"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'" Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.
Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.

screw them lmao. we got a big contigent of fans going up for the football game this year with "THE University of Cincinnati" T-shirts.

god if we could somehow beat them it may be the greatest sporting moment of my life

Reaction Score
Trademarks only apply where there could be confusion in this first place. Like Home Depot has a trademark on their color of orange, but it only applies if you want to make a home goods store. You can't use their orange if you want to do that. But for any other usage, they'd have no say.

So I'd say this would really only apply to anyone with a university in Ohio. No other university or entity could be confused with it in the first place. It's not like they are seeking a general monopoly on "the" in the English language.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh no!!!!

product_t_h_thethelogoblackt.jpg

Reaction Score
"Common words and phrases can be trademarked if the seeker can prove a distinctive usage outside the traditional meaning."

So just how is the use of "the" when referring to Ohio State different than the use of "the" when referring to boneyard ?

Reaction Score
As if people would be confused about who you were talking about if you simply said Ohio State was the team that lost to Uconn at the final 4 in 1999 and that their appearance was subsequently erased due to NCAA violations.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Trademarks only apply where there could be confusion in this first place. Like Home Depot has a trademark on their color of orange, but it only applies if you want to make a home goods store. You can't use their orange if you want to do that. But for any other usage, they'd have no say.

So I'd say this would really only apply to anyone with a university in Ohio. No other university or entity could be confused with it in the first place. It's not like they are seeking a general monopoly on "the" in the English language.
I believe it's "The Home Depot."

Reaction Score
screw them lmao. we got a big contigent of fans going up for the football game this year with "THE University of Cincinnati" T-shirts.

god if we could somehow beat them it may be the greatest sporting moment of my life
I'm also going up with a group and agree it might reach greatest sporting moment ever if we were to beat them! I had to miss the Pittsburgh come back in 2009. I wish they played us every year. Have they not won the national championship that season the last two times they've played us???

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a buddy who is terrible about differences between college names. He routinely says stuff like “stoked for the football game vs Florida this week.” When we’re about to play UCF or “I hope we beat Michigan, Tom Izzo pisses me off.” Drives the rest of us crazy but he’s like “what’s the big deal?!!”

Also my wife excitedly came home from work one day last year and was like “Honey! Someone was giving away tickets to a UConn-UMass basketball game! That’s a good game right?” After initially thinking uhhh we don’t play UMass in basketball this year I realized what happened. I didn’t have the heart to tell her UMass Lowell was not a good game.

Maybe this is more important than you guys think!

Reaction Score
Saw them open for Gang of Four at Irving Plaza. Introductory, words were, "Ladies ladies and and gentlemen gentlemen, The The..."

Even mentioning Gang of Four here is such a blast from the past. Hard to believe that band even ever existed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I wonder what The Bronx thinks about this?

I wonder what Ohio State University (not to be confused with THE Ohio State University) thinks about this

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom