Ohio State PreGame Notes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio State PreGame Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fortunately, I found a sports bar 5 miles from my home that carries CBSSN and Big 10 (for the Nebraska Game). BYers are welcome to join us if you're in the neighborhood.

BTN has easily found live streams for those who don't get it or don't want to go to a bar. CBSSN is another story

Reaction Score
If people don't have CBSN or BTN, every Buffalo Wild Wings in the country has both. I'm the GM of a B-Dubs and we will surely have the game available.

Reaction Score
There are 2 UConn games on CBSSN: OSU and USF (Jan. 10). If the Huskies are undefeated by the 10th, the game at home vs USF will be of history-making proportions (if UConn wins, of course). Verizon carries CBSSN in HD on channel 594. I had to switch my packages in order to get the game. This meant giving up my favorite news station, but sacrifices must be made. It's all part of the cable networks' routine of trying to extract a extra shekel by giving here and taking away there. IMO this refusal to allow people to get and to pay for what they want to see is the death knell of the cable networks. RIP.

A la carte for all channels(ie.."allow people to get and to pay for what they want") would make the cost of each channel high, The reason there are so many channels is they all get a tiny fee..10 cents, 25 cents, 40 cents, etc...from 70, 80, 95Million subscribers instead of the maybe 10 to 15M who really want the channel paying $10/month.

Look at a channel like ESPNU which costs 22cents x 75M homes = 16.5M per month and 198M/yr in subscriber fee revenue. Do a lot of people watch ESPNU ? NO if you look at their ratings. How much would ESPNU have to charge for those who really want it to generate the same 16.5M revenue month ...A TON! You can take this beyond sports, to all the channels that you surely skip over in your cable package or watch once in a blue moon. Yet you're paying 5 or 10 cents a month for these channels. This keeps these obscure channels with low rating in business.

Reaction Score
tOSU has played much better as of late, Mavunga is back from her sore knees(she sat out 4 games) and Linnae Harper the UK transfer played her first game last night. tOSU has the athletes and the post game to beat this Connecticut team, with them it always focus on offense and what kind of defense they'll play. Freshman Tori McCoy is a better version of Texas freshman Joyner Holmes who gave Connecticut fits, until she got into foul trouble. Kelsey Mitchell will be hard to defend if her she comes ready to play and this year there's no MoJeff to bother her, Dangerfield, Chong , nor Kia defend on that level. This is a typical Kevin McGuff coached team, he recruits like a sonofabitch, but he coaches like an AAU Coach, his teams are unfocused on offense and defense with them is an afterthought. I don't see tOSU winning this game but they'll keep it competitive if they play well. Maryland will be the team that breaks the streak.
I bet Gabby gets that duty tonight! :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The key to this game is how well Crystal Dangerfield plays on offense and defense. Can she keep Lewis and Calhoun in front of her? She has shown definite progress the last 2 games in this area. She's made a concerted effort to keep front being taken on her right. Can she abuse Lewis and Calhoun on offense by penetrating, making the right and timely pass? Can she contribute points on offense? Can she reduce mental errors and turnovers? Will Geno go to his "big" lineup of Gabby, KLS, Collier, Kia and Butler? Will he even need to? The key to the season is can Geno continue to play his core 3 players 35 to 40 mins a game while they remain injury free? History says when players are ridden that hard injuries happen. Even minor injuries to the core 3 could have a major impact on the season. Lastly, can Molly make a contribution tonight and through to the NCAA's?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I bet Gabby gets that duty tonight! :cool:
If you mean guarding Kelsey Mitchell, I doubt it. Gabby has guarded post players almost exclusively this year. Kia will get first crack at KMitch and maybe Dangerfield, but she'll be a tough cover for either of them. Gabby will be guarding Mavunga, Hart and Tori McCoy when she's in. If Butler plays significant minutes, then Gabby will play Shayla Cooper or whomever McGuff plays at the 3...

Reaction Score
If you mean guarding Kelsey Mitchell, I doubt it. Gabby has guarded post players almost exclusively this year. Kia will get first crack at KMitch and maybe Dangerfield, but she'll be a tough cover for either of them. Gabby will be guarding Mavunga, Hart and Tori McCoy when she's in. If Butler plays significant minutes, then Gabby will play Shayla Cooper or whomever McGuff plays at the 3...
You have a point there. Kia was assigned the duty of guarding Marina Mabrey from Notre Dame and did well. I haven't seen Mitchell to compare but I think Kia will give it her best shot and at least make a pest of her self with Mitchell. Go Huskies. I will miss the start of the game which I'm bummed about. Shame on me for making other plans. :( Twitter is just not the same as watching but it will have to do;)

Reaction Score
Anyone know if "CBSSN" is on Direct TV? I've never heard of that one.

Even though DirecTV tends to be more expensive, it is worth it's weight in gold to me because of just how many sports networks are offered,

Reaction Score
I guess this is our annual game on CBS? It's weird how they get one UConn game per year while the rest go to ESPN and SNY.
And one is too many... for years everytime Uconn has played on CBS, they would carry over what ever crap was being played before them (cuz it would always run long) and then we'd miss the first 5-10 minutes of the uconn game... I called in several years, sent messages via email... nobody puts the huskies in the corner.... grrrrrrrr

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Anyone know if "CBSSN" is on Direct TV? I've never heard of that one.

Yes, I think it is ch 221 (from memory).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN ran diamond press that fell back into at time a 1 2 2 or 3 2 zone pretty effectively against tOSU last year. Not sure UCONN will vary form that much this year.
tOSU still very dependent on Mitchell as scorer and primary ball handler. Same strategy might be a double bonus for UCONN in that it get the ball out of Mitchell's hands and allows Natalie ( Better in Zone) and Molly (Best in Full court press) to compensate for short bench.

Reaction Score
Even though DirecTV tends to be more expensive, it is worth it's weight in gold to me because of just how many sports networks are offered,
Directv 221 is CBS sports Channel. I'm happy with Directv, now, when they changed over their home page it bothered me.
Reliability is good but not as good as advertised---weather related issues. Dish is the only other "cable" tv i've ever had
and Dish was terrible in every aspect of the business. I'd do without TV rather than go back to dish..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gabby was matched up against Ogunbawle (4 for 14) for significant minutes at ND.

Reaction Score
Not to change the subject, but Ohio wins big time in football, win or lose, OSU from BIG 10 conference play ends up with 50 million as a team member & we get what in the ACC ? Pennies in Comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom