Ohio State PreGame Notes | The Boneyard

Ohio State PreGame Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay, exam week is history; let’s get back down to business. Next game is in two days against Ohio State. The Buckeye’s are 9-3 on the year, with losses to South Carolina, Baylor, and Miami (in overtime). Of their nine wins, they have scored over 100 points twice; the latest was last night (Dec. 16) against Alabama State in a 118-61 affair.

[HERE] is a link to their schedule.

[HERE] is a link to their roster.

So while we're waiting for game time, here is a 7+ minute highlight package from last year’s UConn OSU game. It was the first game of the season played on Nov. 16 last year at Ohio State with the Huskies winning by a score of 100 to 56.

And... if you crave more UConn OSU basketball, here is the complete game. Enjoy!

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
tOSU has played much better as of late, Mavunga is back from her sore knees(she sat out 4 games) and Linnae Harper the UK transfer played her first game last night. tOSU has the athletes and the post game to beat this Connecticut team, with them it always focus on offense and what kind of defense they'll play. Freshman Tori McCoy is a better version of Texas freshman Joyner Holmes who gave Connecticut fits, until she got into foul trouble. Kelsey Mitchell will be hard to defend if her she comes ready to play and this year there's no MoJeff to bother her, Dangerfield, Chong , nor Kia defend on that level. This is a typical Kevin McGuff coached team, he recruits like a sonofabitch, but he coaches like an AAU Coach, his teams are unfocused on offense and defense with them is an afterthought. I don't see tOSU winning this game but they'll keep it competitive if they play well. Maryland will be the team that breaks the streak.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Okay, exam week is history; let’s get back down to business. Next game is in two days against Ohio State. The Buckeye’s are 9-3 on the year, with losses to South Carolina, Baylor, and Miami (in overtime). Of their nine wins, they have scored over 100 points twice; the latest was last night (Dec. 16) against Alabama State in a 118-61 affair.

[HERE] is a link to their schedule.

[HERE] is a link to their roster.

So while we're waiting for game time, here is a 7+ minute highlight package from last year’s UConn OSU game. It was the first game of the season played on Nov. 16 last year at Ohio State with the Huskies winning by a score of 100 to 56.

And... if you crave more UConn OSU basketball, here is the complete game. Enjoy!

I remember that game well. UConn got just about whatever they wanted on offense. They beat Ohio State like a "rented mule". The huskies shut down their leading scorer (Kelsey Mitchell). She had only 8 points that night. No doubt she's looking to have a better performance Monday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tOSU has played much better as of late, Mavunga is back from her sore knees(she sat out 4 games) and Linnae Harper the UK transfer played her first game last night. tOSU has the athletes and the post game to beat this Connecticut team, with them it always focus on offense and what kind of defense they'll play. Freshman Tori McCoy is a better version of Texas freshman Joyner Holmes who gave Connecticut fits, until she got into foul trouble. Kelsey Mitchell will be hard to defend if her she comes ready to play and this year there's no MoJeff to bother her, Dangerfield, Chong , nor Kia defend on that level. This is a typical Kevin McGuff coached team, he recruits like a sonofabitch, but he coaches like an AAU Coach, his teams are unfocused on offense and defense with them is an afterthought. I don't see tOSU winning this game but they'll keep it competitive if they play well. Maryland will be the team that breaks the streak.

I know most of the top 20 Div 1 coaches --I have never heard of a coach named sonofabitch. Is he only on the Recruiting trail??? Must be an assistant!

Teams like Ohio St are not to be taken for granted--expect a fight and UC has to bring their A defense game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The word on the street is that while they are formidable on offense, they (as a team) are not a very good defensive team, which may bode well for the Huskies. The fact that the game is in Hartford should give UConn a bit of an edge, as it is hard to beat the Huskies at home. They defend their turf well. Geno and staff have had 7 whole days to prepare for the Buckeyes. Here's hoping for a little deja vu. Geno will have the girls ready to play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Preview Capsule: No. 12 Ohio State At No. 1 UConn Women
UConn Women's Basketball by PAUL DOYLE

Site: XL Center
Time: Monday, 7 p.m.
TV: CBSSN (Brent Stover, Debbie Antonelli, Allie LaForce)
Radio: WTIC AM-1080, WILI-AM 1400, WELI-AM 960, WGCH-AM 1490, XM-384, Internet-97 (Bob Joyce, Deb Fiske)
Series history: UConn, 3-0
Last meeting: UConn, 100-56, Nov. 16, 2015, Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio

Reaction Score
I asked my "Swami" about the Ohio St game. He wrote me a note that said 3 times he cast uconns horoscope - 3 times the stars made the same prediction. Ohio St is helpless against the will of infinite destiny. It is ordained that Uconn will win the game. It must - It is written.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if "CBSSN" is on Direct TV? I've never heard of that one.

Reaction Score
As I wrote on another thread, this game could easily be an 30+ win for UConn but it could also be a very tough day for the Huskies if Mitchell and company are having a hot shooting game............I'm sure Geno has been working on preventing Mitchell from getting good shots..........of course she's not known for her superior shot selection............

Reaction Score
Anyone know if "CBSSN" is on Direct TV? I've never heard of that one.

Here's what I found--this from CBSSN, verified by DirectTV online.

What channel is the CBS Sports Network on DirecTV?
Both DIRECTV and Dish Network carry our channel in HD. It is recommended you call your local provider if you are not receiving CBS Sports Network. DIRECTV (channel 221) carries CBS Sports Network in its Choice Extra package while Dish Network (channel 158) carries CBS Sports Network in its Classic Silver 200 package.

Reaction Score
I guess this is our annual game on CBS? It's weird how they get one UConn game per year while the rest go to ESPN and SNY.

Reaction Score
I guess this is our annual game on CBS? It's weird how they get one UConn game per year while the rest go to ESPN and SNY.

There are 2 UConn games on CBSSN: OSU and USF (Jan. 10). If the Huskies are undefeated by the 10th, the game at home vs USF will be of history-making proportions (if UConn wins, of course). Verizon carries CBSSN in HD on channel 594. I had to switch my packages in order to get the game. This meant giving up my favorite news station, but sacrifices must be made. It's all part of the cable networks' routine of trying to extract a extra shekel by giving here and taking away there. IMO this refusal to allow people to get and to pay for what they want to see is the death knell of the cable networks. RIP.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, I found a sports bar 5 miles from my home that carries CBSSN and Big 10 (for the Nebraska Game). BYers are welcome to join us if you're in the neighborhood.

Reaction Score
Geez, wonder what happened. What new data point did they acquire?

Still, I like our chances. :cool:
That's a difference of 5 points. They may have found out that Butler has a hangnail on her shooting hand.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-18_12-13-59.png

NOTING THE BUCKEYES

• Ohio State has won four-straight games, all at home, and come into the game at 9-3 on the season.
  • OSU is ranked No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 13 in the Coaches Poll.
  • Junior Kelsey Mitchell became the fastest player in NCAA history to 2,000 career points as she reached the mark in just 79 games.
  • Mitchell is in 5th place on the OSU career-scoring chart with 2,034 points.
  • Mitchell is also the school's all-time three-point leader 292 career three-pointers. There are just four players in Big Ten history with 300 or more career three-pointers.
  • Freshman Tori McCoy was named the Big Ten and National Freshman of the Week on Dec. 13 after tying the OSU single-game record by going 10-for-10 from the floor vs. Southern and missing just one shot in her first double-double of the season vs. Canisius.
  • McCoy has made 27-of-31 shots (87.1 percent) over the last five games.
  • Stephanie Mavunga has notched a double-double in four of the seven games in which she has played and has been the team's leading rebounder in five of those games.
  • Transfer Linnae Harper made her Buckeye debut vs. Alabama State on Dec. 16 and scored 15 points to go along with five rebounds.
  • Ohio State had a tremendous second half effort in its win over Cincinnati, limiting UC to just 10 points over the final two quarters and just one point in the fourth. The 10 points were the fewest points allowed in a half since 2012 and the one point was the fewest ever allowed in a quarter.
  • The Buckeyes led the Big Ten and were third in the country last season in scoring at 86.0 ppg and is averaging 90.5 points per game this season.
  • Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 331-139 (.704) and 76-40 (.655) with the Buckeyes.
NOTING UCONN
  • The Huskies are the No. 1 ranked team in the country and are a perfect 9-0 on the season.
  • UConn is riding an 84-game win streak dating back to the second game of the 2014-15 season.
  • Five of the Huskies...

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I know most of the top 20 Div 1 coaches --I have never heard of a coach named sonofabitch. Is he only on the Recruiting trail??? Must be an assistant!

Teams like Ohio St are not to be taken for granted--expect a fight and UC has to bring their A defense game.
They expected a fight last year and Connecticut won the game 100-56. Kelsey Mitchell who was averaging 25 ppg and the leading scorer in the country scored 8 points. I've watched every tOSU game this season and as I said, Connecticut's defense will pose problems because tOSU's offense is unfocused and they go for lengthy periods without scoring, which will be a death knell against Connecticut. KLS should have a big game because tOSU will lose her in the half-court. Every team has a sonfoabitch, some more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom