Ohio State 3rd string QB outplaying Heisman Winner so far. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio State 3rd string QB outplaying Heisman Winner so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you look at the Ohio State roster, they are extremely "Ohio heavy", with a handful from NJ, a handful from the surrounding states, and a scattering of FL / TX. The reason I bring this up is because I have constantly heard over the last 2 years that the north and the northeast can no longer compete for producing talent. I've been shown demographics information. I've been told the southern players get to play year round while the northern kids can't.

But the game against Alabama and so far the game tonight have shown that ideology to be false. Apparently, all that it took was the right coach...

(oh, by the way, I hope you all have extrapolated the ramifications of my statement to the bright future of Husky Nation)

Excellent observation. Ohio has always been fertile recruiting ground and is underrated when compared with the south and particularly TX and FL. I checked out Ohio States roster and around 60% come from Ohio. GA, FL, IL around 5 0r 6 players each. NJ, 3, PA 2, and a bunch of single states.

Diaco states, UCONN's footprint runs from MA to VA and West to PA and Ohio and direct flights to FL, and TX, etc. Having 60% of UCONN from CT would be disasterous. To be successful Diaco's plan would grab a good number of players from NJ, NY, PA , MA and it also seems that UCONN always gets decent players from FL, GA and VA. -TX, OK and LA seem out of reach although I suspect UCONN will get a few more from TX in future years.

Reaction Score
He was 3rd string for a reason the other two guys were Better. Myer did a great job tailoring his plan for him. In both games you could see the Bama and Oregon DBs not want to tackle Jones late in the game.

Reaction Score
He was 3rd string for a reason the other two guys were Better. Myer did a great job tailoring his plan for him. In both games you could see the Bama and Oregon DBs not want to tackle Jones late in the game.

Reaction Score
shaking my head.
But did he really? OSU's running back ran for more yards than Jones threw for. Mariota had better numbers including QBR.

Meyer clearly has a system that is high octane and not the easiest to defend. The ground game certainly helped Jones and the defense stepped up to the plate. It's a system you can plug and play any talented QB and they will succeed. All 3 QB's have found much success under Meyer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cardale Jones was impressive. This is an indication of how deep the elite schools are. To play the way he did after only 3 starts is remarkable! He displayed tremendous poise, cool, pocket presence, arm strength, running ability, size... I will be surprised if he loses the starting job next season. He is the real deal. Looks as good as Jamison Winston!

Having said that the Ohio State Offensive line was crazy good and Ezekiel Elliot might be one of the best running backs ever!

He was a beast. A great athlete but not exactly a kid as some people keep describing him. OSU just crushed it in the trenches and it opened up everything else.

Reaction Score
To wit, Jones was a 3* 78 rating based on ESPN's rankings. A Jones could be on our roster now/any day in the past.

Reaction Score
But did he really? OSU's running back ran for more yards than Jones threw for. Mariota had better numbers including QBR.

Meyer clearly has a system that is high octane and not the easiest to defend. The ground game certainly helped Jones and the defense stepped up to the plate. It's a system you can plug and play any talented QB and they will succeed. All 3 QB's have found much success under Meyer.
Early in the game he absolutely did. Completed some nice deep and intermediate throws. Don't forget the huge 26yd completion on third down from the shadow of their own endzone when they were either down 7-0, or tied 7-7. His next pass was another 26yd completion. While Marriota had two huge drops by his WRs that halted potential drives he also missed badly on a few passes. When the game was in the balance Jones did his thing. When Oregon's drives eventually stalled or ended in FGs, or three and outs, OSUs Oline and running game dictated the PACE that Oregon is so well known for.

Reaction Score

The key word being talented.

Reaction Score
That's where it was really won. The offensive line and running game just utterly dominated Oregon. Jones had a lot of man coverage deep because they had to sell out to try to stop the run and just couldn't. Amazing what a great running game can do.

Total domination. They wore Oregon down. Those Big Defensive ends were spent by the time the 4th quarter came around.

Reaction Score
If Diaco doesn't work out, I think this Meyer guy would be a good candidate for our job. Assuming we can't find someone more high profile.
We'll have to run it by the CT HS FB Coaches Assoc. first, make sure they're good with this guy.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Oregon's D was horrific. OSU did a great job controlling the tempo of the game, pushing them around midway through the 1st quarter on. But if Oregon's WR's makes those catches (couldn't ask for a better spot where to catch those passes) on the next 2 drives in the first quarter, quite possible the Ducks could easily be up 21-7 after 1, and have OSU reeling a bit.

Then again if "buts & if's" were only fifths, we'd all be drunk by now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Admit it. Who here didn't want to see OSU score one more TD to make it 49-20.

Which is of course one point worse than 48-20.

Reaction Score

key words - were better -Urban Meyer stated that Jones wasn't mature. Obviously he has grown up. I don't think Cardale is gonna give this job up too easily. May have been a great game plan by Meyer but Jones still had to execute and execute he did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom