Oh, that defense! | The Boneyard

Oh, that defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This reminds me of the Big East tourney a few years ago when the opposing teams' leading scorers barely scored:

UConn has now held the Top 3 scorers in the Big East – Rodgers, DePaul’s Anna Martin and Seton Hall’s Jasmine Crew – to a combined 22 points (7.3) on 20.6 percent shooting this season (7-of-34).

Reaction Score
Yeah, but West Virginia suffered Skylar Diggins' career best point total and still won. So what is the meaning of all this, wrapped up into a single pearl of wisdom?

I dunno, but alexrgct's entry with "Is that good?" would get my vote.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Earl the Pearl played on the men's side. So did Pearl Washington.

Yeah, Skylar had a career high of 32 but she missed 6 FTs in a 2-point loss. So WV's free throw defense was good.

Reaction Score
... Yeah, Skylar had a career high of 32 but she missed 6 FTs in a 2-point loss. So WV's free throw defense was good.
I don't think you addressed my point, which, simply put, is that the point total of the team's leading scorer is not necessarily determinative of her team's success. It's still a team sport.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think you addressed my point, which, simply put, is that the point total of the team's leading scorer is not necessarily determinative of her team's success. It's still a team sport.
Correct. But when the leading scorer is held well below her average and the teammates are more role players, there is a high probability that the team loses.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In any team sport, there are two defensive approaches one can take:

• Try to neutralize your opponent's best option.
  • Try to neutralize everything other than your opponent's best option
Either approach can work.

In the WVU-ND case, turning the point guard into the primary scorer is not a bad strategy because they then lose sight of their job as PG of getting everyone involved.

In other cases, neutralizing the best scoring option often puts undue pressure to score on people who aren't used to shouldering that burden, and the result is a big mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom