Oh, How Miami Has Fallen | The Boneyard

Oh, How Miami Has Fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since the Canes left the Big East, they have become just another mediocre football program. Watching a little of their bowl tonight, they are a shadow of their former glory. Can't say I feel sorry. They broke the Big East to get their money. Hope they enjoy it. Also hope they love being in football limbo.

It's almost impossibe to remember when they were a national relevant football power

Reaction Score
My God! 4th quarter and Miami still has not scored a point. 7-0 La Tech.

Reaction Score
They aren't the only one's that have declined. BC, Cuse, Pitt, now WVU, VT without Beamer, Lville had one of the best College players in recent times in Jackson and they are now mediocre but still bowling, and then there is Rutgers. The college game is separating into contenders and filler at a rapid pace. The ranks of filler expanding while contenders shrinks. Lville in Clemsons division is no picnic. We would love to be in each of their situations but blowing up our conference has not been anything but a bigger payoff. The Canes need better QB play which is something we are familiar with.

Reaction Score
They aren't the only one's that have declined. BC, Cuse, Pitt, now WVU, VT without Beamer, Lville had one of the best College players in recent times in Jackson and they are now mediocre but still bowling, and then there is Rutgers. The college game is separating into contenders and filler at a rapid pace. The ranks of filler expanding while contenders shrinks. Lville in Clemsons division is no picnic. We would love to be in each of their situations but blowing up our conference has not been anything but a bigger payoff. The Canes need better QB play which is something we are familiar with.
Don't forget FSU. They suck now, too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Since the Canes left the Big East, they have become just another mediocre football program. Watching a little of their bowl tonight, they are a shadow of their former glory. Can't say I feel sorry. They broke the Big East to get their money. Hope they enjoy it. Also hope they love being in football limbo.

It's almost impossibe to remember when they were a national relevant football power

Miami, BCU, the ACC and ESPN staged a coordinated raid on the Big East designed to destroy the conference and every athletic program in it. Miami and BCU would have gotten paid if they stayed in the Big East, but they thought they could get a few million more if they destroyed their conference. Ironically, by every measure, that plan failed. Only one member of the Big East at the time Miami stabbed the league in the back did not end up in a major conference. That school was UConn.

I am not sure what Miami got out of hobbling UConn's football program, but I doubt it was much. ESPN ended up paying a lot more money and lost a lot of the content anyway, and the ACC ended its basketball dominance by adding mediocre Miami, VTech and BCU programs. Pitt's basketball program was gutted when it left the Big East because it lost NYC as a recruiting area. The ACC lost on both football and basketball, and is a Clemson run away from being completely irrelevant nationally in football.

That decision ended Miami as a major football program. In their final 4 years in the Big East, Miami went 3-1 in bowls, making a major bowl every year. Miami is 3-9 in bowl games since, only making one major in the 16 years since they left the Big East. In fact, all the former Big East schools have been significantly worse in football since they left the Big East.

Reaction Score
When they moved to the ACC Miami, VaTech and BC were top programs in that conference. They have all fallen to the mean. Same with UL I suspect. Really same thing with Nebraska and Penn State in the Big 10. When was the last time the Huskers were in the national conversation? Penn State has had better success but not to its former level. Texas A&M and Missouri have always been the second level and pretty much remain there.

I honestly think that the next round of conference reorganization could be a national league of maybe 20-24 teams and everybody else.

Reaction Score
Miami, BCU, the ACC and ESPN staged a coordinated raid on the Big East designed to destroy the conference and every athletic program in it. Miami and BCU would have gotten paid if they stayed in the Big East, but they thought they could get a few million more if they destroyed their conference. Ironically, by every measure, that plan failed. Only one member of the Big East at the time Miami stabbed the league in the back did not end up in a major conference. That school was UConn.

I am not sure what Miami got out of hobbling UConn's football program, but I doubt it was much. ESPN ended up paying a lot more money and lost a lot of the content anyway, and the ACC ended its basketball dominance by adding mediocre Miami, VTech and BCU programs. Pitt's basketball program was gutted when it left the Big East because it lost NYC as a recruiting area. The ACC lost on both football and basketball, and is a Clemson run away from being completely irrelevant nationally in football.

That decision ended Miami as a major football program. In their final 4 years in the Big East, Miami went 3-1 in bowls, making a major bowl every year. Miami is 3-9 in bowl games since, only making one major in the 16 years since they left the Big East. In fact, all the former Big East schools have been significantly worse in football since they left the Big East.
They certainly succeeded in destroying UConn financially. No matter how bad they are now in athletics, they are still raking in way more than UConn ever will now and the joke is, that CT taxpayer dollars are aiding it.

Reaction Score
They have all declined, but the school that has declined the most is UConn.

Reaction Score
A couple of points. Every conference can only really have 2 or 3 heavyweights who can win 10+ wins per season. When conferences expanded, some schools that were in the top 2 or 3 in their previous conference got "demoted" in their new conferences. It happened to Nebraska when the Big 8 became the Big 12 and has continued in the Big 10. It happened to West Virginia when they went from the Big East to Big 12. Penn St. went from the Eastern heavyweight to a good Big 10 team. Put Penn State in the ACC Coastal and they would become a perennial top 8 program.

The next point is that most private schools can not keep up the arms race. Sure, they have more media money, but they have to spend their own money to build facilities and pay coaches. State funded schools can get state subsidies or state funded facilities.

It seems Miami stopped trying to win at all costs in football under Donna Shalala when they moved to the ACC as she wanted to improve Miami's academic reputation. Until they decide they are all in in football, and I don't think they will, Miami will remain down.

Finally, I think FSU will be back. Too many natural advantages and they can be a top 2 team in the ACC which means they will win and winning brings better recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom