Offseason Interview Series: Diaco, RKG's and the Recruiting Model | The Boneyard

Offseason Interview Series: Diaco, RKG's and the Recruiting Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Another good read Matt, thanks.

Here's the thing. I like his recruiting approach. He seems to be recruiting great kids (whom I'd love to hear about in person at a signing day event, but I digress...). Given enough time, I think Diaco is even going to find success. But a "development season", which 2014 essentially was... Was insanely risky, borderline criminal, and severely antagonistic to the fanbase. We don't have the luxury of waiting 3 years to see if it all comes together.

Reaction Score
It's a great insight into the plan........but we've got to understand.........we don't recruit the players that have offers from Ohio State, Oregon, Alabama, etc. Its obvious to me many of athletes on those programs may not have the RKG's Diaco is targeting.

Ever hear of "under the radar". You don't build instant success with this type of athlete, so we all have to become a RKF (right kind of fan) for this program and support it, the players, and the coaches over the long haul.

I love excitement and winning as much as the next fan, but using an analogy similar to a RKG, if tardiness from games becomes the norm because it takes too long to get to where you want to be (aka 1 hr vs 10 min. school trip), we're not a good fan base.

I'm in as long as I have a heart beat!

Reaction Score
I did it again, and read it. WTF is wrong w/ me? The RKG's are all still FNG's and based on what happened last season, it's hard to have any concept other than that the returning 2015 team and the returning coach, still will have all the same problems that come with FNG's.

I like his recruiting plan so far, and the few recruits he's had play so far seem promising, so that's positive.

Nothing to do but wait and see what kind of team shows up at Rentschler in the fall.

Reaction Score
That wasn't bad. @Carl Spackler , scared me with his post. I credit the OP for getting us every morsel of information that he does. Thank you. As for Coach Diaco, fingers crossed we didn't hire another, younger P.

Reaction Score
I hope that these writers start to think for themselves a bit. Recruiting is the only thing we've got to look forward to. It was a positive article, but it still irks me to listen to anything the FNG coach says. My guess is it took the feedback from the more recent piece for the writer to realize, that maybe talking about anything other than recruiting is not a good idea.

UCONN fans want winners. That's it.

I won at breakfast today. I'm going to win at doing some real work that pays my bills today too. Coach Bobby is getting paid to build a winner on the football field, and do it the right way. Results to date, are not good.

I was reading through some tweets last night online random UConn stuff, was actually looking for hockey info. Shane Stafford was tweeting like crazy during the NCG, and put out one that stuck me. Duke football won 9 games last season and went to a bowl game and had 72 players on the roster with a GPA of 3.0 or above.

I rarely cross over UCONN basketball success with football, two entirely different sports and ways to do things, but it's ironic how the universe works. Jim Calhoun was very, very adamant and open about wanting to model, emulate and create the success of Mike Krzyzewski's Duke program, going back to when he was just starting in the 1980s. Diaco would be smart, to look at what a coach like Cutcliffe at Duke is doing with a program, and go with that. Smart to look at a program like Stanford on the west coast, which is essentially the same. The midwest farmers model, is not going to work in the Northeast corridor of the USA. UCONN stopped being a cow college a long time ago. He's a Jersey kid, DIaco, he can do it. I believe.

Just stop screwing around with the game days and put a disciplined football team on the field that can get play calls in and out, communicate and get lined up within an effective game plan and execute.

I'm out for today boneyarders. Stay warm. Hats and gloves out today.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This is the most uplifting thing I've read in months. Can't wait to see the results on the field.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I was all in on RE looking for the RKG's, becuase that meant the Sherman', Dixons and Lutrus' of the world.

I sure hope BDs list includes guys who love FB and can bite through a bicycle chain.

If gym attendance is the key indicator when any meaningful recruit can get his chemistry grades changed, we are in big trouble.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
But a "development season", which 2014 essentially was... Was insanely risky, borderline criminal, and severely antagonistic to the fanbase. We don't have the luxury of waiting 3 years to see if it all comes together.

I agree. I would have liked to be playing Monday night.

But sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt.

Reaction Score
I think that the performance is more that we have only 65 scholly players on the roster as it is talent. We have been through the recruiting numbers. We just lost tons of kids beginning with Edsall's last two years.

We just need to get a larger group of kids to develop for 5 years.

Reaction Score
How can you tell anything from what Diaco says? Some of it sounds great. Some sounds crazy. I have no idea if his recruiting process is good, bad or indifferent.

I want him to succeed. But it would be nice if he would occasionally speak simply and comprehensibly about winning.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I agree. I would have liked to be playing Monday night.

But sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt.
What does Monday night have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
Would have liked to be playing for the National Championship.
No one in their right mind expects UConn to be at that level, but it would be nice if the team didn't look like it was coached by a bunch of volunteers against a winless team.

Reaction Score
No one in their right mind expects UConn to be at that level, but it would be nice if the team didn't look like it was coached by a bunch of volunteers against a winless team.
Obviously no one expects anyone to be there. It was just an obvious statement, of course we would have liked to be playing Monday night. That's all it was.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sure, and I'd like to win powerball too.

I'd have taken 4 wins and the chance to say "at least we were better than last year"... Nevermind any championship dreams. I dream of competence.

Gonna be a long offseason. As is tradition the last 4 years. :/

Reaction Score
I have one comfort in listening to Diaco - Calhoun often sounds like a loon when he speaks as well and he turned out to be pretty good.

In all seriousness, I think Diaco just runs at the mouth content to not really say anything. It is my sincere hope that his communications skills with the staff and team are a whole lot better than they come across with the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom