Officially Official | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Officially Official

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We’re going home boys... We’re going home.
Yeah but it sure don't look as nice as the home we left years ago
Looks like only the garage is left from the mansion

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 1 hour ago
Despite being married to a lawyer, I'm not fluent in legalese, but I think the UConn-Big East deal states the withdrawal fee is $30 million from acceptance thru year 6 ...

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 1 hour ago
$15 million from year 7 thru year 9 and $10 million after the start of year 10 of membership.
Who cares?
It's only hostage money
It's the NBE!!!!!
Whoever agreed to this is insane, better basketball or not
Hopefully not a grad from UConn Business School, if so, I'm digging up all the bricks my family donated
Scary stuff

Reaction Score
Not likely to be an afterthought for some time. More a not my kid is going to play which will greatly reduce the pool of players. The majority of parents who refuse to allow their own will have no problem watching someone else’s kid get his body destroyed. There will be enough desperate families who want the golden goose as well as regions of the country that consider it badge of manhood to ignore the consequences football has on the body to continue football for quite some time. It just might not be the number one sport.
My mother was way ahead of her time on this. She was born and raised in Ansonia. My godfather's son played at AHS and in college, has been a long time coach there and was, for a time, the head coach. My older sisters went to AHS. We went to nearly all the games and were big fans. In 8th grade, my father was approached by the then head coach asking if I was going to play football for him the following year. He said no because my mother refused to allow it. Why? She worked in an ER in Bridgeport and saw the injuries come in. My son was probably perfect for football as a corner or a receiver. I refused to allow him to play. We are not alone. But, yeah, down south it is going to take much longer for people to come to their senses. It won't happen in our lifetime but it will happen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He thinks UConn is in the same league academically with Georgetown and Villanova. Nothing wrong with UConn but John is a bit delusional.

Behind Georgetown, sure, but not Nova really. Villanova was never any great shakes back in the day. Their rise in the USNWR rankings is fairly recent. Admissions to Nova are about similar to UConn. Factor in graduate research stuff and it’s a wash.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that they originally wanted to form a league with members all on the same page, so not football playing schools.
I believe the phrase that was used was "Like Minded Schools"

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Any chance this is being used as leverage to get an invite to a P5 conference? Likely get laughed at, but who knows?

Reaction Score
Expensive leverage gambit then.

$30 million if UConn backs out or goes elsewhere for next ten years.

No...I'd say it was more giving up on the dream of a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
$30M isn't stopping UConn from accepting a P5 bid. West Virginia paid $20M 6 years ago. Par for the course.

Not like a P5 bid is ever coming, but it wouldn't stop them if it did.

No...But if, like the poster wondered, "Any chance this is being used as leverage to get an invite to a P5 conference? "

My comment is still the same...expensive gambit...pay exit fees to two conferences ($40 million), buy in fee, and it is a $43 million expense...

As leverage for a P5 invite?

Hell no...tired of treading water, waiting on a boat that may never come, UConn swam back to shore.

pj

Reaction Score
No...But if, like the poster wondered, "Any chance this is being used as leverage to get an invite to a P5 conference? "

My comment is still the same...expensive gambit...pay exit fees to two conferences ($40 million), buy in fee, and it is a $43 million expense...

As leverage for a P5 invite?

Hell no...tired of treading water, waiting on a boat that may never come, UConn swam back to shore.

True enough ... the move is just improving UConn's position, it's not a precursor to a P5 move. But there is a chance that it could showcase UConn's value better than the AAC. UConn's value to a P5 conference depends on the value of its market as demonstrated by statewide and regional fan support and revenue generated from it. Having independent football that airs on a regional network (SNY) and getting significant revenue and support via cable playing regional opponents from the northeast is better for UConn than trying to compete on the field as a national team with the likes of USF/UCF/Houston/SMU. The AAC's whole strategy is designed for the benefit of aspirational football powers located in good recruiting grounds like USF/UCF. It was a misfit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s
Expensive leverage gambit then.

$30 million if UConn backs out or goes elsewhere for next ten years.

No...I'd say it was more giving up on the dream of a P5 invite.
It’s 6 years and not 10 for 30 million. It drops to 15 million in years 7-10.

Reaction Score
UConn won't pay any stinkin' $10M fee.
Will claim the conf is guilty of NCAA infractions and that's why cutting ties.

Reaction Score
Behind Georgetown, sure, but not Nova really. Villanova was never any great shakes back in the day. Their rise in the USNWR rankings is fairly recent. Admissions to Nova are about similar to UConn. Factor in graduate research stuff and it’s a wash.
Average SAT scores:
UConn: 1250
Villanova: 1345

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman