Official Start Deshon Foxx at QB Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Official Start Deshon Foxx at QB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think (and I have no idea) that the coaching staff is hoping that another year of S&C and coaching will improve the OL enough. But yeah, it would be the same players for the most part.

Hope there is a large travel budget for the coaching staff for the bushes to be shaken and beaten to find 7 JUCO lineman that can step in next year and patch this fiasco.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've thought about Foxx at QB all day today (I can't believe that I'm even saying that, but here we are). My only...and I mean ONLY...reservation is whether or not he can get the ball to Geremy Davis accurately. He through a nice short pass yesterday, which looked promising. If he has any semblance of accuracy whatsoever, then he should be our QB for the rest of the year. Because make no mistake, we need someone with the wheels to run for his life, and Deshon definitely has the wheels. Mix in some option stuff and maybe, just maybe, this is the answer to get us a W in the near-term while we sort out our protection woes...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
EdDaigneault8:21pm via TweetDeck
UConn coach Bob Diaco said Deshon Foxx is in play as a QB. Said they have a package of plays designed for Foxx

6 people liked this.

I don't know what mental disorder would lead one to thinking this is a positive, but thankfully Pfizer and Astra Zeneca are working on treatments.

It's so absurd it makes me question caring.

BOB DIACO WHEN HE ISNT TELLING US THE TEAM SUCKS THEY ARE PLAYING 55 PLAYERS FROM SCRIMMAGE BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR THE FUTURE ALSO THINKS ITS A GOOD IDEA TO PLAY A SENIOR WIDE RECEIVER AT QUARTERBACK THAT WILL REALLY HELP BUILD FOR THE FUTURE.

Reaction Score
@whaler11 , Diaco seems to be all over the place. What you say is why I can't see how Kamal Abrams is taking snaps from Bradley and Lamelle. He tells us it is about developing for the future but he continues to play a 5th year senior that drops more balls than he catches over two kids who showed a lot of promise as true freshman.

He needs to use this year to get the first time head coach booboos out the way and come back sharper next year. We seem to be regressing weekly on offense.

I like what he is doing with the defense but the offense and special teams need improvement in coaching in addition to personnel.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
6 people liked this.

I don't know what mental disorder would lead one to thinking this is a positive, but thankfully Pfizer and Astra Zeneca are working on treatments.

It's so absurd it makes me question caring.

BOB DIACO WHEN HE ISNT TELLING US THE TEAM SUCKS THEY ARE PLAYING 55 PLAYERS FROM SCRIMMAGE BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR THE FUTURE ALSO THINKS ITS A GOOD IDEA TO PLAY A SENIOR WIDE RECEIVER AT QUARTERBACK THAT WILL REALLY HELP BUILD FOR THE FUTURE.

So what's your alternative? Putting a slower, less mobile QB behind our swiss cheese OL? We can't move the ball a single foot as a conventional offense. Playing Tim Boyle makes sense for 2015 but not if he is going to constantly run for his life. You can't develop much when you have less than 1 second to get rid of the ball. And if they're just going to hand it off and run on most plays anyway, it makes sense to have a mobile QB in there that can run read-option.

Time to go unconventional with our offense. Shirreffs and Davis are both dual threat style QBs and coming in next year. Implement that offense now with whoever can run it best and then hope someone with a better QB pedigree can take over next year.

Reaction Score
I'll take 10-12 passes (HB screens, PA roll-outs, quick slants and the occasional air out to 85) along with the read-option and full house over Whitmer. I don't think that's tasking Foxx with too much and it means more development for all of our younger RB's while giving us a constant homerun threat. And since Foxx wouldn't pass all that much anyways there would naturally be less sacks, translating into less negative plays but he can also use his speed to escape sacks CW cannot when we do choose to pass. I think this move could also take a lot of pressure off our inexperienced O-Line since they've proven their ineffectiveness in a conventional-style offense. It's definitely worth a shot imo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So what's your alternative? Putting a slower, less mobile QB behind our swiss cheese OL? We can't move the ball a single foot as a conventional offense. Playing Tim Boyle makes sense for 2015 but not if he is going to constantly run for his life. You can't develop much when you have less than 1 second to get rid of the ball. And if they're just going to hand it off and run on most plays anyway, it makes sense to have a mobile QB in there that can run read-option.

Time to go unconventional with our offense. Shirreffs and Davis are both dual threat style QBs and coming in next year. Implement that offense now with whoever can run it best and then hope someone with a better QB pedigree can take over next year.

If Diaco stood up and said I'm going to play mobile quarterbacks in the future and I'm making Foxx the QB so we can implement the offence that would make sense.

I get you can't stop talking about Sherrifs - but NC State seemed to want to turn him into a fullback so your expectations are so far away from where they should be it's crazy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So by this logic Tim Boyle can't ever play.

And why burn his redshirt they were hellbent on using if they aren't going
to play him?

It's breaking news the offensive line sucks?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, I have absolutely zero explanation why Boyle's redshirt was burned if he is going to be played sparingly the rest of the year. That makes zero sense to me too. It's not as if our OL was mildly competent in Week 3 and have gotten worse. We've had the same OL all season and it seems like it will not be getting much better all year.

Reaction Score
If we went with Foxx to spare Boyle's redshirt I would have understood and been supportive. Casey retiring really hurt us.

But this doesn't make sense. Now we will rotate 3 QBs? Ugh.

Reaction Score
So my question is why haven't we seen anything until now?.... This is a joke.... Couldn't use him in the USF game?.... I'm sick of this crap

Reaction Score
We started the year with a 2 headed QB monster in CC and CW.
Maybe we should end it the same way the rest of the season ...with Deshon sprinkled with a little Boyle in third and very,very long situations and give the clipboard to
Whitmer and say thank you-have a nice day. Boyle gets some snaps, the offense gets quicker and little less unpredictable, take the ball out of Whitmer's hands, less pressure on the OL with Deshon, better playmaker in Deshon..just sayin'....
because 3rd and very long will preserve your qb?

Reaction Score
If there's this much confusion over Boyle's status, I honestly feel they'd be better off starting Foxx and exclusively running a read-option/wildcat offense. Continuing to throw Whitmer out there is like beating a dead horse, and running this type of offense is more up Mike Cummings alley anyway. They ran all over our defense with that style of play back when Cummings was OC at Central Michigan, and that's how the most effective offenses in the country are run anyway.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If there's this much confusion over Boyle's status, I honestly feel they'd be better off starting Foxx and exclusively running a read-option/wildcat offense. Continuing to throw Whitmer out there is like beating a dead horse, and running this type of offense is more up Mike Cummings alley anyway. They ran all over our defense with that style of play back when Cummings was OC at Central Michigan, and that's how the most effective offenses in the country are run anyway.

I think you might have your directional Michigans confused...we played Western Michigan while Cummings was OC at Central Michigan and W Michigan threw WAY more than they ran.
Whitmer had a nice day in a loss though...

Reaction Score
I think you might have your directional Michigans confused...we played Western Michigan while Cummings was OC at Central Michigan and W Michigan threw WAY more than they ran.
Whitmer had a nice day in a loss though...

You're right. I totally got my opponents/coordinators mixed up. My memory is hazy and that game was a couple of years ago. Regardless, my general feeling remains... abort the pro-style offense immediately. It will do nothing but continue to sputter without pro-caliber talent which is clearly lacking up front. Diaco and Cummings need to seriously consider taking a huge step back and working around their offensive weaknesses for the time being rather than beating a dead horse and making this offense something it clearly is not. Offensive success in college football revolves around unpredictability, not sticking to tired convention. Pro-style convention on this level only works for teams with pro-caliber talent and depth like a Southern Cal or a Bama. Basically, they need to stock the cupboard with better offensive groceries before they can even expect to have success with that scheme. In the meantime, they likely need to deviate from their preferences and get creative. I fear staying on the path they're on with the offense will only spill over into the following season (following a pro-style script with subpar OL talent and skill players with limited or non-existent experience). But maybe I'm just panicking and rambling nonsense.

Reaction Score
Now that I have had a week to take a breath, watch the replay and also watch SMU about to score 24 on ECU with more time to play, it is clear to me we do not have a winnable game left on the schedule. We know what we have we Whitmer and Boyle does not look ready from his limited time. Too many INT's, fumbles, sacks, overthrows, etc.

What do we have to lose by trying Foxx as a starter? Let's see if we can capture lightning in a bottle. If it doesn't work we can go back to the same c r a p we have now. I do not want to see a GDL like wildcat, I want to see Foxx given time. We can spot Whitmer for a series to change things up. I know its crazy but I can see Diaco trying some crazy to match the crazy speak.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah, I have absolutely zero explanation why Boyle's redshirt was burned if he is going to be played sparingly the rest of the year. That makes zero sense to me too. It's not as if our OL was mildly competent in Week 3 and have gotten worse. We've had the same OL all season and it seems like it will not be getting much better all year.
Only thing I can say is things can change week to week. At the end of the summer Boyle was going to redshirt if possible. One week Cochran was okay, then he wasn't. After that, Boyle was probably going to increase his practice and game snaps, then he had his mysterious pain issue. Fans want to hold Diaco accountable which is fine, but we don't know all the details, and no coach knows who is going to get injured ahead of time (though my guess is that Diaco thinks Boyle is susceptible to injury behind this line).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom