Official Newton Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Official Newton Thread

Reaction Score
Newton and Hawk attacking the rim is what we are missing. Even if they miss it frees up an offense board that we seen Sanogo and Jackson grab and put back.

We were shooting lights out from three the first 14 games then we started settling for way too many and Newton got very passive. He needs to be aggressive even if he misses or turns it over. Sanogo starting to pass more out the double team, still too long but he’s passing. Had 3 assists.
Were missing is what I meant.

Reaction Score
Just like R.J. Cole needed to figure out Big East play, Newton took a step back when BE play started. Now he's ready and looking more confident. Also, Hawkins needed to be more assertive in his game and that has become more evident in his recent play. Both portend well for continued Uconn success.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Also have to give Sanogo a little love on that play. Watching the replay, there was an instinct for him to try to catch that bullet pass. He flinches, but something (BB IQ or instinct) told him to let it go. He probably would have just deflected it out of bounds as hard it was thrown. He had no chance at the clean catch. He let it go and Karaban got an easy 2.
I noticed this as well. He probably read Tristen's eyes but whatever it was, it was a heads up read.

caw

Reaction Score
I noticed this as well. He probably read Tristen's eyes but whatever it was, it was a heads up read.

Let's be honest, Newton rarely throws a pass too hard, sometimes too soft/lazy, but not too hard. Have to think the players know each others tendencies by now.

Reaction Score
I've merged a couple with the game thread but think he deserves his own thread today.
Hi. Does Newton have eligibility past this year? Would live to have him back

Reaction Score
1 year remaining, TBD what he does though since using a Covid year is a tossup for a lot of guys

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Yes, he has 1 more year of eligibility due to the COVID year.
It remains to be seen if he wants to come back as a grad student. It probably depends on how this season shakes out, his professional opportunities, and who stays/leaves for the draft. So who knows. I'm sure most of these players don't have a concrete plan for after this season yet.

Would love to have him back as a two-headed monster in the backcourt with Castle next season, assuming Hawkins leaves for the NBA.

The only player on the team who has no eligibility left after this season is Joey California.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom