Offensive Sets | The Boneyard

Offensive Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've seen discussion elsewhere to the effect that Uconn's half-court offense is less potent than last year's version.

Examples include:
-Jeff Waltz daring Bria to shoot by 'unguarding her' in the manner of Kelly in the past.
-Refusal of UConn guards to avail themselves of more opportunities to penetrate and either shooting or kicking out.
-not enough cutting
-too much passing around the perimeter and then taking a long-range shot
And my concern: Not enough mid-range jumpers.

Interested in the boards comments and evaluation

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think this years offense is much, much more potent than last years. There have only been a couple games where,when the big boys are in, that we have gone long periods without scoring. That seemed to be a problem last year. Enough that it was talked about. Not so this year.

I haven't looked to see if the stats actually support this though. But my perception is that this is a much more potent and diverse offense.

It also seems much quicker. More taking the shots when they appear as opposed to lots and lots of passing without any attacking notion (which seemed to be the case many times last year).

Reaction Score
I think this years offense is much, much more potent than last years. There have only been a couple games where,when the big boys are in, that we have gone long periods without scoring. That seemed to be a problem last year. Enough that it was talked about. Not so this year.

I haven't looked to see if the stats actually support this though. But my perception is that this is a much more potent and diverse offense.

It also seems much quicker. More taking the shots when they appear as opposed to lots and lots of passing without any attacking notion (which seemed to be the case many times last year).
Sometimes too quick.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sometimes too quick.
Sometimes, but as long as it's a decent, open shot I don't think it bothers Geno too much. (at least this year). I think he is Looking for them to be more direct.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your soccer is showing.....
:)

I actually thought about that when I was posting that. Was going to compare them to Barcelona under Guardiola (2011/2012) vs Vilanova (2012/2103). Pretty much the same team, same style (tiki-taka), but Vilanova has them playing more direct. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I've seen discussion elsewhere to the effect that Uconn's half-court offense is less potent than last year's version.

Examples include:
-Jeff Waltz daring Bria to shoot by 'unguarding her' in the manner of Kelly in the past.
-Refusal of UConn guards to avail themselves of more opportunities to penetrate and either shooting or kicking out.
-not enough cutting

I would say that such observations are basically wrong. Last year the half court offense stalled frequently when teams packed it in against us. The same has been true before.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Examples include:

She's not a great 3 point shooter, but a decent one. I didn't see Waltz daring her to shoot. They were open 3's based on ball movement.

Huh???

-not enough cutting

Cutting when? Where? By who?

That is called ball movement to get an open shot. It's time that some people come to grips that this is a big part of the offense and not changing no matter how much they complain.

I showed you in the GTown game that your percecption that they don't take mid-range jumpers is incorrect. It was around 1/3 layups, 1/3 3 pointers. What kind of shots do you think the other 1/3 are? My guess is mid-range jumpers.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The reason this team isnt playing like we saw earlier in the season is because of injuries and sickness. Bria has been out since the summer. Can we give her sometime to come back. MJ Tuck Stokes Caroline KML Bria and Breanna have been out alot with injuries or sickness. Only BB, Stef and Kelly have been healthly. We're killing teams except for ND. We get ND at the end of the season and we will if healthly and 100% blow them away. The attitude they had in the first meeting will be knocked off their shoulder. There is not a team in WCBB that can beat a healthly 100% Uconn this season or next.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I don't have access to replays (at this time)
But I've seen precious few 2-point jumpers in the games I've seen.
I'll keep careful track on Saturday.
Let's revisit after Duke

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I don't have access to replays (at this time)
But I've seen precious few 2-point jumpers in the games I've seen.
I'll keep careful track on Saturday.
Let's revisit after Duke

We can revisit any game and see the number of 2 point jumpers.

Go go UConn Stats Page

Once there go to any game's box score. Here is Louisville game.

Now, go to the play by play.

Do a "find" (control f) and count all the "layup" and count the occurances for UConn.
Do a "find" (control f) and count all the "3 ptr" and count the occurances for UConn.
Do a "find" (control f) and count all the "jumper" and count the occurances for UConn.

This gives you a breakdown (or close to it) of the 3 kinds of scoring plays.

Some games there will be a higher percentage of 3 pointsers, other, jumpers, and other layups. But overall, my guess there is a pretty even breakdown with 3 pointers and layups a slightly higher percenatge of shots than jumpers. But not enough to complain about.

JS

Reaction Score
But overall, my guess there is a pretty even breakdown with 3 pointers and layups a slightly higher percenatge of shots than jumpers. But not enough to complain about.
Why complain at all, unless you have a knowledgeable opinion that (a) the defenses are giving you, and (b) you aren't taking, a certain type of shot, and (c) it's strategically a good shot to take in view of (d) the likelihood of making it, and (e) the number of points it's worth, factoring in (f) the likelihood of getting fouled?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Why complain at all, unless you have a knowledgeable opinion that (a) the defenses are giving you, and (b) you aren't taking, a certain type of shot, and (c) it's strategically a good shot to take in view of (d) the likelihood of making it, and (e) the number of points it's worth, factoring in (f) the likelihood of getting fouled?

Huh?

JS

Reaction Score
Huh?
Cliff's Notes Edition: It's pointless to complain about a perceived lack of shots from a certain distance unless you supply context indicating that's a mistake.

A Cliff's Notes Further Simplified Edition is also available.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Cliff's Notes Edition: It's pointless to complain about a perceived lack of shots from a certain distance unless you supply context indicating that's a mistake.

A Cliff's Notes Further Simplified Edition is also available.

Who is this guy Cliff? Since it is a short version, is HuskyBill involved?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Who is this guy Cliff? Since it is a short version, is HuskyBill involved?
cliff_notes.jpg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Getting back to the discussion:
A coach quoted in an SI article about 3pt defensive schemes notes the early emphasis on developing and training 3-point shooters and the remarkable success thereof.
He says that he preferred the two-point shot but that it's becoming obsolete.
sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/05/.../index.html

Reaction Score
Even though is sounds like it would be demeaning, I'd like to read Cliff Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom