Offensive Line, Take One | The Boneyard

Offensive Line, Take One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From several of the reports, this is what they're pivoting off of for the Offensive Line:

LT Richard Levy (6-6, 305), LG Gus Cruz (6-4, 296), C Alex Mateas (6-4, 309), RG Tyler Samra (6-2, 288) and RT Andreas Knappe (6-8, 300).

The obvious spot to look at is RT. Kevin Friend was there this year, but it appears as if the staff is really intrigued by Knappe.

A couple of thoughts on it.

First, from a strictly developmental point of view, it's more important for Knappe to get reps than it is for Friend. Friend has plenty of experience and is probably close to max'ing out his potential. Plus, if Knappe fails, Friend can come right in and play.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, Diaco has mentioned several times that he needs able bodies all along the line. Good thing with starting Knappe and getting him up to speed is that Friend can play any of the spots along the line besides center. Using him as a utility linemen means only switching one player should one of the starters get injured.

As for Knappe, it's obvious the staff likes him. A lot. He's now on his third year in the program and has had plenty of time to start putting his bits and pieces together. He can be a beast at RT. Plus, his body doesn't have the wear and tear that most linemen his age have. He's fresh relatively speaking.

Mateas at C was a given and it seemed obvious coming out of spring that Levy was the LT. Getting Cruz back was big, but he has one of those chronic ailments that can rear its head at inopportune times (another reason to have Friend ready in relief).

RG is the only position I can see a where the back up may flip the script based off of play in practice.

Above all else, making a decision and getting the five starters reps together as a unit is imperative.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's preseason thread writing. I meant Gifford.
I'll be up tomorrow morning running bleacher steps.
This is what five months of off topic threads does. I need a more rigorous off season conditioning program.

Reaction Score
Hope Diaco being an Iowa guy has some k owledge about coaching tackles and offensive line. Nobody breeds better tackles than Iowa

Reaction Score
This is what five months of off topic threads does. I need a more rigorous off season conditioning program.

I actually thought Gifford played decent enough last year in essentially his first year of action. Was looking forward to seeing his development

Reaction Score
Blog quote on Knappe:

“You look at him and right away you see there’s length, athleticism and flexibility,” Diaco raved. “It’s not like you can pick those types of guys off a tree, they’re rare to begin with anyway. And then you meet him and you watch him work and you see what kind of toughness he has and then you believe, okay, this guy can develop. There’s certain things required intangibly to develop, it’s not like you look at a body and say, oh he’s developmental, we can develop him. If he doesn’t possess the other intangible traits necessary to develop, it’s very hard to develop people like that. He possesses the tangible and intangible traits that we believe will allow him to develop into a good to great offensive tackle and we believe he is right on track for that.”

All I can think of is footwork and leverage. If he's quick enough to be in the right spot and has the lower body balanced he could be a real beast.

Reaction Score
I don't think Gifford is athletic enough to be that guy that can play every OL spot. I do believe Friend would have been if he was utilized that way. I do think he could probably play guard in addition to RT, but not LT or C. Just my opinion from watching him. Didn't seem to move laterally real well.

Reaction Score
If Levy and Knappe are both ahead of Gifford then that is an encouraging sign IMO because I thought Gifford did a respectable job last year. Levy and Knappe both have NFL size and are only RS sophomores so the future is bright.

I'm still hoping that Schafanacker emerges as a force at guard in camp.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I want the most athletic big uglies we have to be starting up front.

It's all about the footwork!

jagslinemenkick.jpg

Reaction Score
I want the most athletic big uglies we have to be starting up front.

It's all about the footwork!

jagslinemenkick.jpg

Yep. People still have this belief that an offensive lineman needs to be 6'6 325 to be effective. It is all about creating space, not who can bench the most.

Reaction Score
Blog quote on Knappe:

“You look at him and right away you see there’s length, athleticism and flexibility,” Diaco raved. “It’s not like you can pick those types of guys off a tree, they’re rare to begin with anyway. And then you meet him and you watch him work and you see what kind of toughness he has and then you believe, okay, this guy can develop. There’s certain things required intangibly to develop, it’s not like you look at a body and say, oh he’s developmental, we can develop him. If he doesn’t possess the other intangible traits necessary to develop, it’s very hard to develop people like that. He possesses the tangible and intangible traits that we believe will allow him to develop into a good to great offensive tackle and we believe he is right on track for that.”

All I can think of is footwork and leverage. If he's quick enough to be in the right spot and has the lower body balanced he could be a real beast.

Here's another from John Silver:

*Andreas Knappe is there at right tackle and is imposing at 6-foot-8 and now over 300 pounds. The converted defensive lineman from Denmark has always been targeted to eventually go to the OL, and he could very well be the starting right tackle. Knappe is one fo the biggest people I’ve ever encountered. That strength, size and footwork make him a salivating force at tackle in a power run game.

Looking forward to seeing him in action!!

Reaction Score
What amazes me is that P recruits Knappe initially for the OL , at least that was the way it appeared, and then they move him to the DL. As soon as Foley takes over they move him back to the OL and now the kid is contending for a starting spot.

Everything points to GDL being completely and utterly incompetent and P just standing there watching. Frightening.......

Reaction Score
What amazes me is that P recruits Knappe initially for the OL , at least that was the way it appeared, and then they move him to the DL. As soon as Foley takes over they move him back to the OL and now the kid is contending for a starting spot.

Everything points to GDL being completely and utterly incompetent and P just standing there watching. Frightening..

Pasqualoni's personnel moves were horrifying. From putting guys in the wrong spots, to over playing some guys and nailing potential contributors to the bench, Knappe was a victim of P's insanity.

Reaction Score
Just curious, any reports of who was on the 2nd line of the two deep yesterday.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Pasqualoni's personnel moves were horrifying. From putting guys in the wrong spots, to over playing some guys and nailing potential contributors to the bench, Knappe was a victim of P's insanity.

I hope that is the case. We really need players to step up on the O Line.

Reaction Score
One thing I read last year was that when Foley re-took command of the offensive line, he made a point of working with younger players on their development. with luck guys like Samra, Levy, some of those guys will benefit this year. Not sure what the status with Knappe was during the second half of last year.

Reaction Score
Is this the same rich1122 that said we would never get over 25,000 in Rentschler this year?
No the same guy who said we would not get over 25K Season's Tickets sold - hoping he was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom