Offensive Efficiency and Production Starts and Ends With Bazz's Mindset | The Boneyard

Offensive Efficiency and Production Starts and Ends With Bazz's Mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So much of how efficient and effective the team is on offense depends on Bazz's mindset. When he plays a pass first pg the whole offense feeds off him and the team tends to shoot well. This also opens up lanes and shots for Bazz who does not need to shoot a lot to be the best player on the court.

When he presses for his shots and goes into a one-on-one mood the offensive dynamic of the whole team changes, and then Boatright starts looking for his shots on his own, as happened today, and this results in a low number of assists as a result of no ball movement. Shabazz shot as many shots as Boatright, Calhoun, and Giffey combined.

The team plays best offensively when Bazz looks to pass first and he asserts himself when he has to as the floor general. The spotlight may have gotten to him tonight, and its hard for it to not to when your playing in MSG, but I really hope that his decision making gets back to what he was doing in the first 4 games of the season.

Reaction Score
So much of how efficient and effective the team is on offense depends on Bazz's mindset. When he plays a pass first pg the whole offense feeds off him and the team tends to shoot well. This also opens up lanes and shots for Bazz who does not need to shoot a lot to be the best player on the court.

When he presses for his shots and goes into a one-on-one mood the offensive dynamic of the whole team changes, and then Boatright starts looking for his shots on his own, as happened today, and this results in a low number of assists as a result of no ball movement. Shabazz shot as many shots as Boatright, Calhoun, and Giffey combined.

The team plays best offensively when Bazz looks to pass first and he asserts himself when he has to as the floor general. The spotlight may have gotten to him tonight, and its hard for it to not to when your playing in MSG, but I really hope that his decision making gets back to what he was doing in the first 4 games of the season.

I thought for the most part - a couple possessions notwithstanding - Boat was pretty solid. He got DD going by setting him up with some great looks on pick and pops. He did force it a couple times, but I think that's going to happen over the course of 40 minutes when you play an aggressive style. He was 2-8 from the floor, and one of them was the heave at the end of the half, so really 2-7. He willingly took a supplemental role.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I think the reason Shabazz was going 1-on-1 a lot tonight was because there were probably a lot of NBA scouts watching. He was definitely under pressure to showcase his offensive capabilities.

Reaction Score
I think the reason Shabazz was going 1-on-1 a lot tonight was because there were probably a lot of NBA scouts watching. He was definitely under pressure to showcase his offensive capabilities.

Gawd, I hope not. Scouts are everywhere.

More likely that he wanted this one a little more as a Boston guy that BC never recruited and got outside of himself. I think he shot the first two possessions (or two of the first three), the sort of thing he hasn't done as long as I can remember.

Reaction Score
I thought for the most part - a couple possessions notwithstanding - Boat was pretty solid. He got DD going by setting him up with some great looks on pick and pops. He did force it a couple times, but I think that's going to happen over the course of 40 minutes when you play an aggressive style. He was 2-8 from the floor, and one of them was the heave at the end of the half, so really 2-7. He willingly took a supplemental role.

I think Boat has taken a supplemental role too but with limits. There was a time in which he was open on the wing and Bazz didn't pass to him and just kept dribbling. Then there was some words between the two on the court, the announcers picked up on it as well...

Reaction Score
I think Boat has taken a supplemental role too but with limits. There was a time in which he was open on the wing and Bazz didn't pass to him and just kept dribbling. Then there was some words between the two on the court, the announcers picked up on it as well...

Not sure if that was a big deal. Seemed like Boat may have been calling for the ball, while Bazz was trying to set up a specific play (that play actually ended with the Giffey three in the corner). Stuff like that happens mid-game from time to time, so I'd be surprised if it was a symptom of something deeper. Odds are the two didn't give it a second thought after that possession.

Reaction Score
I thought BC had a little better offensive game-plan than UConn did. From the get go our offense didn't seem to have a purpose or structured way to attack. Ultimately were able to consistently produce good looks for DeAndre, but I'd hazard that half of those were self-created. Bazz's general one-on-one play typified by first shots of game could just as likely be this as opposed to reading something that is going on in his mind.

And BC's slowdown offense dictated the pace of the game without question. Simpler really for them to look for a late shot-clock 3 and an offensive plan to get the ball to either of their 2 playmakers in triple threat position to create offense. UConn's defensive game plan and individual effort did a good job of keeping Hanlan in check. Anderson (great player btw) kind of had his way with UConn's individual defenders though his touches were limited (candidly not sure if that was due to UConn's scheme or BC's failure to get him the ball often in right spots).

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Earlier in the season, the offense worked best when Bazz and/or Boat penetrated into the paint early in the shot clock and then made a pass out to the open man. It seemed most effective when they each may a sequential, penetrating drive. This allowed the entire defense to be moving and made the last pass out to get to a good perimeter shooter at the right time, in rhythm and with adequate space to get off the shot without having to rush. Last night, Giffey and other perimeter shooters didn't get that time and space and their shots were rushed which killed the 3 pt. efficiency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog