Offense isn’t working | The Boneyard

Offense isn’t working

Reaction Score
The offense is horrendous!! When you look at the sets we run, there’s not a lot going on.. players aren’t really setting screens for others to get open.. and the continuous side to side action with the guards, with the bigs just standing there like their waiting for the bus isn’t creating good shots, I see why the Princeton offense worked so well because it’s a lot of moving parts every player has to be on guard defensively, we obviously can’t shoot the ball besides Adams n Larrier give or take so why not run sets getting to the basket .. we was damn near running our offense by half court most of the time last night..
change it up or they’ll change you

Reaction Score
The offense is horrendous!! When you look at the sets we run, there’s not a lot going on.. players aren’t really setting screens for others to get open.. and the continuous side to side action with the guards, with the bigs just standing there like their waiting for the bus isn’t creating good shots, I see why the Princeton offense worked so well because it’s a lot of moving parts every player has to be on guard defensively, we obviously can’t shoot the ball besides Adams n Larrier give or take so why not run sets getting to the basket .. we was damn near running our offense by half court most of the time last night..
change it up or they’ll change you

We all know this, not exactly the game to point this out because all this game told you was it doesn't matter what offense you run they don't have the skills to play offense period. Last night they had one guy and Tubby put the clamps on him as most any good coach would do, let anyone else beat them. Only hope is Vital to step up like he has but he was out of control, horrible night for the young kid.

Need better skilled players instead of guys like Carlton, Vital, Polley and even Anderson all of whom have trouble completing passes and even handoffs.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Last night they had one guy and Tubby put the clamps on him

That kid Martin was tenacious. Nice player.

They blitzed Jalen constantly. It was a great game plan because we have no relief valve. Larrier might not have even helped that much. But the lack of a relief valve was compunded ten fold by Vital's first 8 minutes of that game.
He shot us directly out of the game immediately. IMMEDIATELY. His horrible shots led to run outs, and because he was missing shots he let it effect his defense too. Without Larrier we needed a solid Vital. Instead we got the worst performance of the season out of him. He forced everything early. I really have mixed feelings about that kid. When he stays within the flow of team concept he is really an asset. When he is me me me me, Id rather see a walk on in.

Can I put one positive spin on the game last night if Im allowed?

The Big to Big passing on a couple of occasions between Whaley and Carlton was very nice to see and gives a glimmer of hope way down the line.

Reaction Score
That kid Martin was tenacious. Nice player.

They blitzed Jalen constantly. It was a great game plan because we have no relief valve. Larrier might not have even helped that much. But the lack of a relief valve was compunded ten fold by Vital's first 8 minutes of that game.
He shot us directly out of the game immediately. IMMEDIATELY. His horrible shots led to run outs, and because he was missing shots he let it effect his defense too. Without Larrier we needed a solid Vital. Instead we got the worst performance of the season out of him. He forced everything early. I really have mixed feelings about that kid. When he stays within the flow of team concept he is really an asset. When he is me me me me, Id rather see a walk on in.

The Big to Big passing on a couple of occasions between Whaley and Carlton was very nice to see and gives a glimmer of hope way down the line.

Agree on Vital, love - frustration relationship with his game. His mental approach was awful too, and he is beginning to show some punk which maybe why the UCF guys weren't in love with him. Needs to simmer down and just play, then run back and play defense. He plays "hard" defense but not very smart, lots of attempts at anticipation most coming out wrong and leaving the rest at a disadvantage.

You can throw that positive spin my way, agree. But be careful others will come at you with Pollyanna replies.;)

Reaction Score
Would be better with more talent. Shooting and ball handling are major issues.

Never seen so many awful passers on one team, you need to look for guys with good vision. I know Jalen is decent and AG was supposed to be much better but most scare me in the same way AB and KF did last year. I mean you can't play basketball the way it's supposed to be played without passers and ball handlers for crying out loud.

Reaction Score
The screens have not been good all year and when they try to set real screens, we always get called for illegal screens.

But its the personnel. We have very little margin for error or injury.

We can't even afford to be down 8 points against any team slightly better than horrendous. We have no firepower to make a comeback, especially with Larrier out. If Adams is out, we may lose by 50.

What other teams in the country have no guards coming off the bench that can make something happen? How many teams have one person that can be trusted to handle the ball (and ball handling isn't even one of Adam's strengths)?

We have a couple promising front court players. We have a crafty point guard that can penetrate and make floaters. We have a wing who is tall and a decent shooter (who was out) and we have another guard who is inconsistent and not reliable in any area besides effort.

Our first or second most talented player is out for the season again and last night we played without one of our only guys that is a threat to score.

Unrelated, but I also noticed our skinny guys like Polley, Whaley and Carlton are getting even skinnier. For naturally skinny kids, its really hard to keep weight on during the season but they need to be lifting and eating after practice to at least maintain a little bit of their summer weight and muscles.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We need to start following the reddit tread of making mega threads. So many threads on the exact same things.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We’ve had one top 50 offensive year under Ollie and it was 2014, Shabazz’s senior year and when Giffey shot almost 50% behind the arc. Ollie cannot coach offense. We have had plenty of talent since he took over. 2015-2016 they especially underachieved offensively.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Yeah, actually, that was probably the least bad thing out there. And I did see Whaley hit a nice 15 footer in the first half, so there's that.

Ollie is trying to play a pro-style offense, but that relies on multiple triple-threat players on the floor ... and we have only one on the whole team, and he's a 2.5 threat. It also requires players to recognize when someone has an advantage after a switch on a screen, and clear out. It does drive me crazy to see players standing around at the three point line, as if they're never going to be involved in the offense. Nobody goes hard and pushes the defense to adjust, except Adams.

Someone said we're an "easy scout." (sorry, can't recall the details) Absolutely, we are an easy scout. Tubby had to probably think for 2 or 3 minutes to figure out his defensive game plan.

Reaction Score
We do too much “going through the motions” versus actually doing the job.

Setting a screen is more than just running to a spot and running back under the hoop with ur hand up... need to get a physical body in front of the guy to create lanes, open shots and plays. Our screens were terrible last night. Spreading the court and moving around hasn’t been good either.

Reaction Score
You can't run a PnR-heavy offense when you have no shooters to space the floor and no big men who can finish off a roll. We need a more structured offense where a given action creates an open look. This team is nowhere near talented enough to run 40 PnRs a game.

Reaction Score
Our offense looks what you’d get if the History Channel needed to film a “dramatic reenactment” of a pro-style offense on a budget of about $5,000.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I watch a lot of High School Girls BB - it is quite refreshing to watch actually sets/screening/plays being run - granted that really isn't the college game these days, unless you are a mid major struggling to recruit 3/4 star student athletes and want to be consistently competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom