Offense didn't do the D any favors last night | The Boneyard

Offense didn't do the D any favors last night

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wanted to break this out from the other threads. UConn scores to tie the game at 21 midway through the 2nd quarter. Next possession the D forces a punt. The very next play, Shirriffs throws just a brutal interception giving Memphis great field possession. But the D holds, a 4 and out! Then, the offense can't even hold on to the ball for a minute before they have to punt. Asking this D to hold for 3 straight possessions is too much and Memphis scores. Then the offense coughs up the ball again with a pathetic fumble on the very first play of the next drive. Ball game.

The D is rightly taking a load of crap for the second half, but in the first half the goat horns belong to the offense.

Reaction Score
I think that RE will start to put some handcuffs on Lashlee when it comes to tempo.

Going 3 & out in 30 seconds when your defense can't stop anybody is not a recipe for success.

Don't be surprised if we start to see more huddles just to slow the tempo down some

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Wanted to break this out from the other threads. UConn scores to tie the game at 21 midway through the 2nd quarter. Next possession the D forces a punt. The very next play, Shirriffs throws just a brutal interception giving Memphis great field possession. But the D holds, a 4 and out! Then, the offense can't even hold on to the ball for a minute before they have to punt. Asking this D to hold for 3 straight possessions is too much and Memphis scores. Then the offense coughs up the ball again with a pathetic fumble on the very first play of the next drive. Ball game.

The D is rightly taking a load of crap for the second half, but in the first half the goat horns belong to the offense.

Lashlee's Offense was beat by Dickey offense 35-7 in the second half. If Lashlee is the so great, Dickey must be the GOAT.

Our offense first 3 possessions of the second half had the ball for 2:35, 1:07 and 1:06. That's not much time for a defense to rest, regroup and adjust.

During this stretch when Laslee and the offense couldn't keep the defense off the field, Memphis went by 63-24, so much for being tied at 21

Reaction Score
I'm not as in love with the offense as so many others are, (we are middle-of-the-pack, after having played no really good defenses. We are decent when compared to us the last few years, and my grandmother is good compared to us the last few years) I will say, that if Sherriffs makes two or three throws in there, those three drives go much differently

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Last night was the first time I felt like our D made big plays when they had to. O made mistakes that we’re just not good enough to overcome and the D was behind the 8ball from the last 5 min of the half on.

Reaction Score
Seemed to me that Shirreffs rushed his throws in the series after our D got stops in the first half. Those two possessions really hurt us. Missed opportunities.

Reaction Score
We were in a position in the 3td quarter where we needed to score every time we touched the ball. Unless you are playing UConn that is a vey high bar. And it puts extra pressure on an improved but not great offense. It was ma long way crime over at the half. Teams come back from 11 points down all the time. And the figgy as time expired should have given us some momentum. What was needed was to stop their first drive. That didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
I'm not as in love with the offense as so many others are, (we are middle-of-the-pack, after having played no really good defenses. We are decent when compared to us the last few years, and my grandmother is good compared to us the last few years) I will say, that if Sherriffs makes two or three throws in there, those three drives go much differently
you're standards are ridiculously unrealistic if you can't see how much improved the offense is from what we've seen in the past. He's actually using talent on the team to their capabilities, and putting them in positions to succeed.

At the very least, it's nice to know that when a team scores a touchdown in the 1st qtr, we're not necessarily looking at the winning score.

Reaction Score
FOR YEARS we've been clamoring for a modern up-tempo offense, now we already have folks blaming it for our defensive woes?? I think it has more to do with not having the personnel to run the defensive scheme and not making the proper adjustments.

Reaction Score
I think that RE will start to put some handcuffs on Lashlee when it comes to tempo.

Going 3 & out in 30 seconds when your defense can't stop anybody is not a recipe for success.

Don't be surprised if we start to see more huddles just to slow the tempo down some

So UConn can have last year's all time pitiful offense to compliment this year's all time pathetic defense. Great! Leave the offense alone, at least they are exciting.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
So UConn can have last year's all time pitiful offense to compliment this year's all time pathetic defense. Great! Leave the offense alone, at least they are exciting.

Exciting going from 21-21 to 63-24? I didn't find the offense too exciting in that stretch.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
FOR YEARS we've been clamoring for a modern up-tempo offense, now we already have folks blaming it for our defensive woes?? I think it has more to do with not having the personnel to run the defensive scheme and not making the proper adjustments.
Uptempo is good but you have to know when to adjust
That's what an experienced coach does
I am impressed with some of what Lashlee does but he doesn't seem to have the full grasp of game management - yet

Reaction Score

Agreed - but there are times you should slow it down in certain game situations.

Reaction Score
True but we are at the point where we have to do anything to match the opposing offense which in this case sadly is a TD on every single drive. I'd kill to be in a situation where we can slow the offense down and drain some clock.
Agreed - but there are times you should slow it down in certain game situations.

Reaction Score
The defense has so many problems it is irrelevant what the offense does. The defense needs to worry about the defense.

Reaction Score
True but we are at the point where we have to do anything to match the opposing offense which in this case sadly is a TD on every single drive. I'd kill to be in a situation where we can slow the offense down and drain some clock.

At the end of the first half in a tie game was exactly that time.

Reaction Score
Exciting going from 21-21 to 63-24? I didn't find the offense too exciting in that stretch.

Leave offense alone, they are exciting and have been keeping UConn in games - at least until the defense makes it impossible. Heck, the 2007 Patriots' offense couldn't score fast enough to prevent the UConn defense from losing games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom