Offense against Georgetown | The Boneyard

Offense against Georgetown

Reaction Score
Sorry if someone already posted this but I didn't see it.

If you thought the offense looked really good against Georgetown you were right. Historically good. I know Georgetown's defense stinks but can the Huskies do more of this every game? Is this a trend or just a one off?

Reaction Score
Gotta give credit to John Silver on pointing this out. He also said:

Scoring 1.645 points per possession was perhaps the best offensive performance of any team in the country this season. As far as offensive efficiency, it was one of the five most efficient games since at least 2002.

John, where did you get that information?

Reaction Score
Offense has been very good when the team is healthy and 100%. If they get Polley and Hawkins shooting 3s, to go with Cole and martin, it's a really really hard offense to stop.

They can score in the post, they can shoot the 3, and they are a terrific offensive rebounding team. Hawkins and Polley scare me because they come and go, but if those two are consistent threats every game (no more 1-for-15s combined) they are going to be tough to stop.

Reaction Score
Gotta give credit to John Silver on pointing this out. He also said:

Scoring 1.645 points per possession was perhaps the best offensive performance of any team in the country this season. As far as offensive efficiency, it was one of the five most efficient games since at least 2002.

John, where did you get that information?
I stole that off twitter. Let me see where I can find it. I would link, but I couldn't retrace it. I think someone here may have posted it.

Reaction Score
I stole that off twitter. Let me see where I can find it. I would link, but I couldn't retrace it. I think someone here may have posted it.
BTW, the five most efficient games was UConn games last 25 years. Not all games ever in that period.

That was one of the five best UConn performances offensively since 2002. Which is still massively impressive considering that includes 4 Final four teams and three national championships.

But, I think from reading Gasway it was either the best or second best offensive performance of the season in college basketball.

No wonder Pete Gillen was having nightmares.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping the narrative that we’re a bad offensive team can start to die

I would say we're significantly better on offense than defense this year by my eye. We defend the post really well, but the 3 not so much, and our defensive rebounding isn't elite. Xs and Os looks a lot better on offense... wonder how much of that is staff changing things up vs just having more players involved.

Torvik has our offense as #25 and defense #52.

Kenpom has our offense #19 and our defense #36.

Only offense issues are late in close games.

Reaction Score
Sanogo has been great at passing the ball out of the post since he returned from injury. That's got to be a big part of why the offense has looked so good lately.

Yep. It's made Sanogo much more dangerous. You also have to credit Sanogo fro getting better position and Jackson and Cole for doing a much better job feeding the post.

Reaction Score
We're top 20 in offense. Better than our defense.

We're extremely versatile. We can kill you on the break. We can get hot from 3. Sanogo can kill you in the paint. We can kill you on the boards. Martin or Cole can get hot in ISO.

Not everything will be working every game, but there's enough options that we usually can find something. That and when it does all work, we look like we did against Georgetown.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
1.46 PPP lol. When we play uptempo we look really good offensively. Also worth noting that Georgetown is a horrendous poorly coached team made up of transfers and freshman. We can’t glean much from this.

Reaction Score
I would say we're significantly better on offense than defense this year by my eye. We defend the post really well, but the 3 not so much, and our defensive rebounding isn't elite. Xs and Os looks a lot better on offense... wonder how much of that is staff changing things up vs just having more players involved.

I agree. Also we are suspect guarding guys off the dribble. On offense if we keep our TOs in check even if we're not shooting it great we are a tough out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not me, let teams underestimate us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1.46 PPP lol. When we play uptempo we look really good offensively. Also worth noting that Georgetown is a horrendous poorly coached team made up of transfers and freshman. We can’t glean much from this.
Add the two Butler games to that as well. They were a great breath of fresh air, and a very positive sign, because good teams beat the teams they’re supposed to be, but don’t give us much insight as to how we will do against good opponents.

Reaction Score
This team has come so far in a couple of months. We have plenty of offensive weapons. It was ball movement that we needed and that has been really good lately. The ball almost never sticks now.

Reaction Score
Still concerned about a propensity to miss too many shots within a few feet of the basket and inconsistent foul shooting.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Isn't having the best offensive game of the year a one-off by definition?
In the sense that the "best" is the best, and there can only be one best, you are correct. But if the definitional best is within a trend line, making a "one-off" characterization of it could be misleading.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the sense that the "best" is the best, and there can only be one best, you are correct. But if the definitional best is within a trend line, making a "one-off" characterization of it could be misleading.
As they say, technically correct is the very best kind of correct.

Reaction Score
We played a terrible defensive team in Georgetown, so until we show we can play good offense consistently, I will say that is not our stregnth.

Reaction Score

Another thing ive noticed is we get beat to a lot of loose balls. I find that concerning especially in a tight game late where every possession can be life and death.

Reaction Score
I really hope the this offensive efficiency carries forward. I just want to see these numbers somewhat matched against teams that
are not as defensively challenged as Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Georgetown style is exactly the style we’re best at .
They like to crash the boards giving us easy 2‘s if they don’t get the put back.
Trust me not everyone will play this way.
Because we rebound and run so well many teams will see what we can do if they all fall back on a missed shot making us beat them in a half court game.
That’s were outside shooting especially threes is huge .
Since they’re slowing the game down they need stops or it will quickly be game over. a 10-15 point lead in a half court game is difficult to overcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom