Off topic: my first car | The Boneyard

Off topic: my first car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just sold my first car and I'm taking it a lot harder than I thought I would.
1994 Camry, it'd been in our family through different relatives all its years.
Any of you remember and have stories of your first car?

Reaction Score
never sold a car, they all died

Javelin, Pinto, Model T , and a Corolla which I should have repaired

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1963 Dodge Dart 225 slant six. Did a lot of runs from Westchester County to Ithaca ,NY. Had a nasty habit of eating exhaust manifold seals ... delayed ignition thing. Succumbed to the blandishments of a full sized Buick with a blown tire careening all over the highway just west of the Tappan Zee Bridge the Sunday after Thanksgiving 1968.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
1963 Dodge Dart 225 slant six. Did a lot of runs from Westchester County to Ithaca ,NY. Had a nasty habit of eating exhaust manifold seals ... delayed ignition thing. Succumbed to the blandishments of a full sized Buick with a blown tire careening all over the highway just west of the Tappan Zee Bridge the Sunday after Thanksgiving 1968.
Wow, so that was you that scratched my Buick....

Your Ol' Pal Boo

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, Boo, you might recall that the median divider said hello to your lurching monstrosity before it shook hands with my right front suspension! I suspect your 7 paying passengers and 47 pieces of luggage were just too much for your bald tires, but I could be wrong.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
My first car was a 1959 Triumph TR3A that I bought for $25... Rotted seats... screwball British wiring, clogged SU's, holes in the floorpan and a shredded top & tonneau. I loved it.... My dad and I restored the little beast to working order... I drove it from my the day I got my license till the end of the 1st semester of my 2nd year of college. I would love to have this car today. That car had character.

Your Ol' Pal Boo

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Well, Boo, you might recall that the median divider said hello to your lurching monstrosity before it shook hands with my right front suspension! I suspect your 7 paying passengers and 47 pieces of luggage were just too much for your bald tires, but I could be wrong.
Median/schmedian.... median dividers are for wussie cars... the old Buick barely noticed them as it flew through them while holding those epic dance parties in the back seat with the Swedish national bikini team....

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Reaction Score
First car I ever drove was my Dad's. 1955 Chevy
Followed by a 1957 ford ( I totaled) and a 1957 Chevy
My wife brought a 1954 Merc. awhich I sold when we bought a brand new 1966 Mustang. I wish I still had them all.
My last 3 cars have been Camrys I still have 2 of them
I'M In the market for a new car and will trade the 2007
I like the Nisson Altima but will take suggestions.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
My first car was a 1963 Impala. It was my grandfather's, then my father's, then mine. There was a hole in the passenger floor big enough to pass a six pack through. Towards the end of its life it had a hard time starting on cold morning. Mr. Russo, the mechanic at our gas station, lived up the street from us. He asked for a key to the car, and each morning on his way to work he would start the car for me. Back in those days, you could pull the key out when the car was running, so he'd take the key and I'd walk out 20 minutes to a warm, running car. He would never accept a dime for doing it -- a really great guy. The car ran and ran, except for that starting problem. Plus, you could easily fit six bravado-filled teenagers in it to seek out the fairer gender around town. Unfortunately, our social skills rarely got us past seeking. But it was a blast. I can remember changing the tires each year to put on the snows.

The first car I ever bought new was a 1981 Camaro Z-28. It was totally loaded with every option except a radio, because stock radios sucked in those days. It had a hood scoop that actually opened to boost cold air to the engine, T-tops, all kinds of spoilers. It was a hot looking car. It was also the stupidest purchase I ever made.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
1956 Pontiac Starchief with a long throw 6 cylinder. Two tone salmon tan and cream with matching leather interior with bench seat that comfortably seated three in the front and for in the back. The wheels were 16" rim with 4" white walls on the tires. It had a radio that could pull in signals from Alaska. It had a trunk the size of a classic movie theater. Paid $300 for it and sold it for $350 and that was the worst deal I ever made on a car.

Reaction Score
My first car was a 1959 Triumph TR3A that I bought for $25... Rotted seats... screwball British wiring, clogged SU's, holes in the floorpan and a shredded top & tonneau. I loved it.... My dad and I restored the little beast to working order... I drove it from my the day I got my license till the end of the 1st semester of my 2nd year of college. I would love to have this car today. That car had character.

Your Ol' Pal Boo[/quote
............................................................................................................................................................................................H
I had a TR3,my husband had it painted Corvette yellow,except no heat with those damn plastic windows and 3 kids to drive to school in the AM. When the wind blew on really cold winter AM, it took my breath away.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a '73 Plymouth Duster in '89 that was handed to my family... then I actually bought a '86 Mustang LX (not GT5.0) in '92....

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A Dodge Dart, I don't remember the year, a hand-me down.

The 2nd car I bought was a sweet Toyota Cellica, red, sporty, stick and ever so cool. My wife insisted on a trade in when it had some issues at 162,000 miles due to a bad tank of gas.

Two "deaths", a Camry we took from my Mother when we expanded to 2 cars (engine failure) and a Mazda that was a lemon from the get-go and likewise suffered engine death. Neither all that high mileage.

Currently high mileage 2003 Ford Ranger truck (red and cool and gas-guzzling) and a Nissan Altima, 2005, approaching 150,000 miles which we use around town. Hoping for 2 more years at least out of each.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
2005 was a good year for the Altima... had a white one

Reaction Score
.My first car was a hand me down 1996 Honda Civic that survive college. My graduation gift was my mom's Toyota Prius. In January I traded the Prius in for a Lexus RX450. I felt no emotion when I dumped the Civic or Prius, but I love my Lexus.

Reaction Score
My 1st car was a Chevy Chevette, which we quickly renamed the "ShitVette", I bought it with 88,000 miles on it, drove it until it hit 112,000 to my step mom.The repairs each month were more than the loan payment....

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
'68 Javelin, which made the run from Louisville to Ithaca many times. Now, the Javelin had a baby V-8 in the front, and absolutely no weight whatsoever in the back, which made it just about the most impractical car possible for upstate NY winters: an over-powered ice skate is what it wuz. It also still had "vacuum"- powered windshield wipers, which were losing their "vacuum", so, I tied hockey laces to each wiper, and snaked 'em out the windows on each side. When the wipers decided to "rest" at an inopportune moment (always while accelerating), I'd just give the hockey laces a tug or two, until the vacuum kicked back in.

This was "back in the day" when people were smuggling Coors beer east, as it was only available in the Rocky Mtn region. My version of that was, I couldn't get Stroh's beer in upstate NY, so, whenever I'd leave the 'Ville, I'd put a few cases of "fire-brewed" Stroh's in the back seat. Those were the days - much more ignorant than I knew, and giving my guardian angel many a grey hair...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
First car was a hand me down ten year old 1949 Ford. How I survived my teen years driving that "beauty" is a complete mystery. My first new car was a 1968 Mustang GT Fastback which I still own. Not sure how I survived driving this car either when I think about it. I particularly remember one night tangling with a 1968 Javelin (390 V8), was that you pinotbear?

Reaction Score
Boo reminds me of my pre-legal driving days: I used to steal my sister's TR-3. It was the easiest car to boost (Tin foil <Dentyne Wrapper> behind the key switch and pull the start thingee) and - with the overdrive switch - it was like speed shifting 7 speeds.
My first -purchased - car was a '56 Chevy 210-Coupe. I put a 327 Corvette motor in it. After -radicalizing - that motor, I bought another '56 Chevy 150-Coupe (for a daily-driver tow car) and put a mild 327 in that one.
'Course, going to college, dating, working 2 part time jobs AND trying to support 2 "special" cars was an exercise in self-abuse. At some point (in a fit of exasperation), I just sold everything and bought my neighbor's 64 Ford sedan (one of the least drama-prone cars I ever owned).
I still love cars - built a Lotus 7 Replicar a few years ago (w/ Chevy V6 motor) but, I no longer want drama in a daily driver. Still enjoy my Honda-motored Saturn Vue but, and rent something different for road trips (i.e. really enjoyed Chrysler 300-C w/ AWD for a 1600 mile round trip last weekend).

Reaction Score
The new car is also a Toyota, 2010 Corolla. Nice car, but less trunk space which is hard when I have extra boxes to carry to and from work. I've only been driving it a week so I haven't quite found a comfortable position while driving. Working on it though...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My first car was a 1967 SS-350 Camaro convertible. It was a gas hog but it was a time when gas was around 30 cents a gallon and the muscle car fad was just starting. It ate a lot of Mustangs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
First car I drove pretty much as my own was a family hand me down from my dad. 1970 Maverick. 3 speed on the column. What a piece of meat. However, having learned to drive that thing, all other cars were easy by comparison. Clipped a car at one point and destroyed my front right fender. Had to save up to get another (I wrecked it, I had to pay for it.), so drove a few months without a right front fender....ah back in the day of no inspections. Finally got one but didn't have the money to get it painted the same color as the car......ah youth.

First car I actually purchased for myself was a 1982 Honda Civic hatchback (bought it off my cousin). 5 speed. 1300cc. Could get up to about 75 mph down hill. But also got could get up to about 50 mpg, highway. Don't even know if I could fit in it anymore. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
First car was a hand me down ten year old 1949 Ford. How I survived my teen years driving that "beauty" is a complete mystery. My first new car was a 1968 Mustang GT Fastback which I still own. Not sure how I survived driving this car either when I think about it. I particularly remember one night tangling with a 1968 Javelin (390 V8), was that you pinotbear?

my first car also a 1949 ford. my brother left it to me when he went off to the marines in 1956. i drove it in the field across the street where he parked it when he left. that's how i sort of learned to drive. out of the field i happily drove when i got my license in 1958.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Memories - like Meyers, I destroyed my right front fender; in my case, I actually replaced it myself, but couldn't afford to paint it the same color as my car. In 40 years of driving and car ownership, the ONLY thing I ever did on my own car (my Dad, a WWII airplane mechanic, did help). Taught me I had no interest in cars.

Like JimGunther, I also rent a vehicle (small SUV) for the long trips; I recoup about half the rental in saved gasoline expenses vs. the pick-up that we would take otherwise, never mind the wear and tear on the higher mileage vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom