Odyssey Sims vs Mo Jeff | The Boneyard

Odyssey Sims vs Mo Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought it would be interesting to compare the two point guards thus far. I took stats from the 5 Baylor games against top 100 RPI (UK, Uconn, Ok St, Kansas x2) and stats from games against ranked opponents for uconn (Stanford, Maryland, Penn St, Duke, Cal, Baylor, Rutgers). Uconn has faced 13 top 100 RPI opponents. I chose ranked opponents for time reasons.

Odyssey Sims
5 Games - 29 ppg, 36.1% FG (52/144), 20% 3FG (6-30), 79.5% FT (35-44), 6 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg, 5.4 TOs , 4 PF/game in 38.6 MPG.

Notice her assist/TO ratio is 22/27 ----> 0.81 (more TO than assists)

Mo Jeff

7 Games- 9.2 ppg, 48.1% FG (26-54), 31.2% 3FG (5-16), 58% FT (7-12), 3.3 rpg, 5 apg, 2.3 spg, 0.14 bpg, 1.42 TOs, 1.7 PF/game in 30.28 MPG.

Assist/TO ratio is 35/10 ---->3.5 (more Assists than TOs)

Quick comparison shows that Odyssey is obviously scoring more PPG but MO is shooting a better percentage from the field, both in and outside of the arc. Odyssey is better at getting to the line and hitting her FTs. Odyssey is also a good rebounding guard, grabbing almost twice as many as Mo. Mo however has the edge in assists and steals, true stats of a point guard. Blocks are irrelevant to these players due to size.

The most shocking stats (or not so shocking) came by looking at TOs and PF. Odyssey averages 5.4 TOs and 4 PF while Mo averages 1.4 TOs and 1.7 PF. She is taking better care of the ball (A/TO 3.5 compared to 0.81 OS). I think MO is having a phenomenal season to date and she should be considered one of the premier PGs in the nation.

These stats also make me question the merit in voting Odyssey NPOY based on an extremely weak OOC schedule....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will just say that Odyssey is technically not the PG sort of like DT was not the PG for 2003 and 2004 though she is certainly dominating the ball on offense.
Agree as a PG Moriah is doing everything she is supposed to do to be a great PG.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There is really no way to compare any single player from UCONN to any single player from another team, because those players from the other teams don't have the supporting cast that the UCONN players do. If Sims is having a bad game or patch of games, she just has to continue to put her head down and keep trying to do what Mulkey asks of her. If a UCONN player is having a bad day they can defer to any of the other players on the court to pull them through.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is really no way to compare any single player from UCONN to any single player from another team, because those players from the other teams don't have the supporting cast that the UCONN players do. If Sims is having a bad game or patch of games, she just has to continue to put her head down and keep trying to do what Mulkey asks of her. If a UCONN player is having a bad day they can defer to any of the other players on the court to pull them through.

That is both true and not true in that it works for and against aspects for each player. MoJet scores less because it isn't necessary or her role with UCONN. Sims scores more because it is her role or perceived role for Baylor. I question that a bit because of the different way in which Diana filled similar circumstances. DT has always sought to make others better and to score as necessary. She seemed to find more opportunities for improving others than Sims has.

It is interesting that MoJet who sees her role as distributor in chief has the vastly better A/TO ratio. Sims is taking many more shots 3-4x as many which by definition means plays ending without a TO. She shoots a lower % which likely means many of those shots are less than ideal. This would seem to argue against a high rate of TOs and yet Sims success of A/TOs is terrible. For some reason she is not completing passes to players who can finish whether because of position on the floor or shooting ability. This means checking the shooting %s for teammates and watching a lot of film may be helpful. Hard to say without looking further.

What can be said is that MoJet whose central function is delivering the ball to others in scoring position is much more successful with lower risk and failure than Sims on a very regular basis despite the relative higher risk of a pass producing a TO vs taking a shot. On the other hand Sims is dominating the ball much more which increases her opportunities for failure, TOs and low shooting %, but is producing points.

I'll leave that to others to decide if that is more important for Baylor but it should be noted that against UCONN it was the second half when UCONN forced the ball out of Sims hands that Baylor competed better. Mull key and Sims might need to evaluate that and consider how to involve those other players more and both give them more opportunities and development for the future.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is both true and not true in that it works for and against aspects for each player. MoJet scores less because it isn't necessary or her role with UCONN. Sims scores more because it is her role or perceived role for Baylor. I question that a bit because of the different way in which Diana filled similar circumstances. DT has always sought to make others better and to score as necessary. She seemed to find more opportunities for improving others than Sims has.

It is interesting that MoJet who sees her role as distributor in chief has the vastly better A/TO ratio. Sims is taking many more shots 3-4x as many which by definition means plays ending without a TO. She shoots a lower % which likely means many of those shots are less than ideal. This would seem to argue against a high rate of TOs and yet Sims success of A/TOs is terrible. For some reason she is not completing passes to players who can finish whether because of position on the floor or shooting ability. This means checking the shooting %s for teammates and watching a lot of film may be helpful. Hard to say without looking further.

What can be said is that MoJet whose central function is delivering the ball to others in scoring position is much more successful with lower risk and failure than Sims on a very regular basis despite the relative higher risk of a pass producing a TO vs taking a shot. On the other hand Sims is dominating the ball much more which increases her opportunities for failure, TOs and low shooting %, but is producing points.

I'll leave that to others to decide if that is more important for Baylor but it should be noted that against UCONN it was the second half when UCONN forced the ball out of Sims hands that Baylor competed better. Mull key and Sims might need to evaluate that and consider how to involve those other players more and both give them more opportunities and development for the future.
TOs can also be offensive fouls which Sims seems to pick up with some regularity as well as walks and carries - things not associated with attempted passes but with trying to score.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, many of Sims' TOs occur not when she is trying to pass but when she is driving into the lane and spinning around in a minimally balanced fashion. Another note on her stats is that she picks up a fair amount of rebounds on snags of her own driving misses, which is both good and bad. Both she and the Bears get 37.5% of their rebounds on the offensive end, which is a high percentage. UConn's percentage is 27%, though part of the difference can be attributed to the Huskies making 7% more of their shots than the Bears. Still, Baylor scoops up a lot of ORs.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced Sims is the MVP on her team. My vote might go to Nina Davis. Amazing rebounder for her size. Yesterday she scored 16 pts and had 17 rebounds.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect we will not know Sims' true worth until her second/third season in the WNBA. I say that because I think her game has to evolve significantly in the pro environment - and certainly not as a PG but as a 2. In the pros her attempts per game have to dive and she has to play smarter to stay on the court.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As mentioned above, Moriah doesn't have to score a whole lot because everyone else on the floor for UConn has the capability.

What she does need to do is score enough from inside and outside that defenses can't afford to not guard her. This is a test she has aced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom