Odds of Poffenbarger seeing action this year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Odds of Poffenbarger seeing action this year

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think she'll play. I expect that she'll get in not too long after she's eligible. If Geno has any thoughts of playing her against South Carolina, he'll play her in 2-3 games before that. If he thinks she isn't ready, she'll play in the conference games after South Carolina. If she's lagging behind, she'll play in 4th quarters only.

Some posters have said Geno will put her in to makes some 3-pointers. That could happen. But I think he may put her in for defense or rebounding. We'll see.
My thoughts exactly. Because of COVID, her lack of conditioning and lack of game play, frankly, I don't think she'll be taking any starters position this year. This while not factoring her first extended time away from home, a new environment, new team mates, a new offensive system, new players she's never seen, new teachers, new classmates, new facilities, new food, new academic responsibilities, Geno's practices and the new pressures that come with that name across your chest. I think at this late stage Saylor should consider any significant PT a major victory.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if she sees anything more than "Walk-On" type minutes. She's awfully far behind the pack in terms of acclimating to the system. If it turns out she can get in the groove faster, maybe a few impact minutes. People who are looking for a major contribution are not being realistic.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Meanwhile y'all USWNT are laying a hurtin' on Colombia. Just a pounding. This team is scary deep.
Did you see the list of players who are on the bubble for being included on the Olympic roster? Geez Louise.

And that Colombian goalie (Supulvida sp?) has been busy!

Reaction Score
I will just note that regular players get to campus in June and then spend 5 months working out and playing pick up games to get acclimated to the size strength speed. Then they get to real practice in the fall and they ALL still say they’re not used to the speed and intensity that UConn requires.

Reaction Score
I just can't wait to hear Coach Geno make the statement of "She has to learn the offensive system before she can get minutes" LOL.
As my coach use to tell me back in the day..."Can you run? Yes. Can you hold a basketball? Yes. Go play, young fella. It is basketball. It ain't rocket science" LOL
But could you go to your left?

Reaction Score
I will just note that regular players get to campus in June and then spend 5 months working out and playing pick up games to get acclimated to the size strength speed. Then they get to real practice in the fall and they ALL still say they’re not used to the speed and intensity that UConn requires.
Stop being realistic, these guys are having a good time.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Did you see the list of players who are on the bubble for being included on the Olympic roster? Geez Louise.

And that Colombian goalie (Supulvida sp?) has been busy!
The USWNT could field three teams and take all the medals at the Olympics. People keep talking about how the world's teams are getting better and catching up. Nah!

Reaction Score
At some time in the near future Geno is going to want to see what is the available talent she brings to the table.
She may not earn valuable minutes this year but knowing Geno he'll test her late in games just to showcase what she brings to the program from her HS experience! She obviously has "skills" where does her skills rank with the rest of the team! Where does she rank offensively, defensively, conditioning, BB IQ, etc.

Reaction Score
Just curious, think she will be on court anytime this year? I know she has to get over quarantine, then get in shape and start to learn the system, but will she possibly see any time at all?
defo..as the young kids say over here in England!

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. The team has been together since the summer and the freshmen (except Paige) are barely getting to understand the offense. The UConn offense isn’t easy to learn
I agree that it is hard to learn and get a feel for what to do, but she is exactly what this teams needs and that is a shooter. I hope she can shoot as well as the clips I have seen on her.

Reaction Score
If it was Stewie or Maya and there were similar circumstances, do you think Geno would bench them just because? Like he said, he'll see if she can help. If he thinks she can, she will play. If she's too behind and not ready yet, she may get some. Quit trying to politicize it based on what's fair and all that. We're in a pandemic, I think all things PC and hurt feelings can be pushed to the side.

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. The team has been together since the summer and the freshmen (except Paige) are barely getting to understand the offense. The UConn offense isn’t easy to learn
She is a daughter of a coach and has had USA basketball experience. She will pick it up quicker than some others. The defensive and offensive concepts could be picked up in a week if you have experienced them before. Someone like Paige probably studied them before she showed up. Saylor, I m sure has been doing the same with her mother.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I say yes she'll get minutes. Maybe more than a lot of us think.

Geno needs 3 point shooters and Saylor is one. She is 6' 2" and the team can use the height.

None of us know what physical condition she is in. Maybe better than most of us think. The season is wacko - why not let her play if she can contribute.

Reaction Score
Garbage time only until the end of February. Then possibly situationally subbed in for limited action before the 4th quarter.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I remember that exact number from an old soap commercial. And just like Ivory soap, Saylor floats too! :rolleyes:
Well so much for older people's memories fading as that's pretty good, however the point that their sense of humor disappears as one gets older is still very much in tact... ;)

JordyG

Reaction Score
I say yes she'll get minutes. Maybe more than a lot of us think.

Geno needs 3 point shooters and Saylor is one. She is 6' 2" and the team can use the height.

None of us know what physical condition she is in. Maybe better than most of us think. The season is wacko - why not let her play if she can contribute.
Her injury kept her off the court last season, and this season her HS cancelled its games. How in hell is she in BB shape or even nearly so?

Reaction Score
Her injury kept her off the court last season, and this season her HS cancelled its games. How in hell is she in BB shape or even nearly so?
worst case, she is in shape and contributing by late march..that gives her 2 full months. that is my hope and I think it is reasonable.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It was stated she’s been working out regularly with a trainer so the initial poster stated they weren’t sure what kind of shape she’s in so we can assume she’s not in UConn basketball shape. To me, her relational experience pre-UConn is significantly ahead of Plath, Autumn and Mir. Whether she contributes is an unknown and will play out before us this year. How anyone can make any assumptions is based on nothing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saylor played through her injury last season and didn't miss any games. The team got to the Maryland semi-finals, before the season was cancelled. Saylor had surgery in early April, I believe. Her IG showed her with her trainer over the summer and fall. I don't know how much running she was able to do, and I don't think she played many (any?) competitive basketball games. Say is likely not in UConn shape and may not be in basketball shape, but she'll work hard to catch up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom