Odds Are ???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Odds Are ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where is this $5 million number coming from? From his contract it is $1.4 million until the end of the year. On 1/1 it drops to $800,000.

https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/robertdiaco-uc-employment-contract.pdf

It comes from the current contract - not the original contract. For ease: http://adimeback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/diaco-contract.pdf

Termination costs:
1/15/2016-12/31/2016 - $5M
1/1/2017-12/31/2017 - $3.4M
1/1/2018-12/31/2018 - $1.7M
1/1/2019-12/31/2019 - $1M
1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020 - $1M

Reaction Score
I'm just torn over this whole mess. I'd love to see us in a decent p5, acc or big10, but neither seems remotely close as an option. I wish we'd hire good coaches and ads instead of superstars. Coming here and reading what people are saying is just a kick in the scalitos. I had hopes for Diaco, but he's burned through every bit of goodwill with his unbelievably idiotic deeds and words. And not even going to game management.

Reaction Score
No reason to think any of this. UConn has the good fortune of knowing what success looks like. The school and state would be wise to always seek getting back to the big time. Anything less than striving for the P5 is wasteful because it will destroy all that has been built over the last 30 years.
I hope your right more than I am. I just have this feeling based on the disengagement at higher levels and major budget issues at the state level.

Reaction Score
I hope your right more than I am. I just have this feeling based on the disengagement at higher levels and major budget issues at the state level.

We will save 1.7 mill by waiting until 1/1/17 to fire him and another 1.7 waiting until 1/1/18. After that the buyout is 1 million.

So, is waiting a whole season worth 1.7 million? I don't think so. If we get a new, exciting coach, they could realistically sell 10k extra tickets per game next year. At an average of $25 each, that is $1,500,000. Think of all the other revenue another disastrous season would cost us. It is a no brainer. The only way it isn't is if they decide they need to keep him two more years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is nothing stopping the AD from conducting a search before 1/1/17. The 4 weeks of recruiting is a small price to pay. If everyone knows he is leaving, it makes no difference.

We aren't signing anyone until all the openings and availabel coaches are known. Davis to FIU was an anomoly. A rehabing coach in his home market.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think he gets into 2017, and by week 5 if they're anything below 3-2 he's gone.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
10% - I see no burning conviction in the administration to get football right. They will wait to save a few bucks. 6o% after Jan 1, 40% he stays to save more dollars at the expense of the future. This is classic small thinking land.

I can't like this post, but I lean toward agreeing with it, sadly.

If it turns out that they won't pony up the buyout just to save the bucks they shouldn't have agreed to pay him in the first place, then the entire university administration deserves to get canned. It's really too bad they weren't thinking small time when they gave Bobby Redpants the undeserved fat contract extension, which he is now holding over everybody's head like the Sword of Damocles.

Reaction Score
to lose to BC 30-0...the team that stopped you from joining the ACC? and there is a question if he should be gone? I am surprised he wasn't hung in effigy using the actual Diaco.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is nothing stopping the AD from conducting a search before 1/1/17. The 4 weeks of recruiting is a small price to pay. If everyone knows he is leaving, it makes no difference.

We aren't signing anyone until all the openings and availabel coaches are known. Davis to FIU was an anomoly. A rehabing coach in his home market.

This is what I expect to happen. We can recruit and interview without terminating him. If Bob wants to start interviewing for jobs himself now, and wants his staff to be able to, tell him to take the January buyout number and he can start right now. Diaco is better of being let go sooner rather than later, so why wouldn't he do that?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is what I expect to happen. We can recruit and interview without terminating him. If Bob wants to start interviewing for jobs himself now, and wants his staff to be able to, tell him to take the January buyout number and he can start right now. Diaco is better of being let go sooner rather than later, so why wouldn't he do that?
Ehhh, debatable (Hey, look!! This is a message board. Let's debate!)

First off, that's a lot of money to leave on the table. If I were Diaco, and the University came with that offer, I'd hold them to every word of the contract. He is virtually unemployable as a head coach, and maybe even as a coordinator, for the next year, so it is nowhere near his interest to take that deal. I'd tell them if you fire me now, you pay me now.

Secondly, coaching is extremely fraternal. No one worth anything (especially if they are up and coming) is going to agree to interview for a job that is still filled, Unless it is an "Interim arrangement. They don't want to be labelled, "That guy."

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Sons of Nutmeg, or Son of RedPants?
he's gone at 8pm Saturday night.
Silence of DB speaks volumes.
We'll see... But I wouldn't be suprised to see Diaco take the team onto the field in 2017. I think there will be a MASSIVE overhaul of the staff and program that being siad. New OC, possibly new DC... we need to score points and develop these kids- they've almost all gone backwards since 2015 IMO. Exceptions being Noel Thomas and Obie.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Deck chair movement aboard the Titanic, Nutmeg. Everyone goes.
Sunday morn is a new era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek