Odds Are ???? | The Boneyard

Odds Are ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
10% - I see no burning conviction in the administration to get football right. They will wait to save a few bucks. 6o% after Jan 1, 40% he stays to save more dollars at the expense of the future. This is classic small thinking land.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
10% - I see no burning conviction in the administration to get football right. They will wait to save a few bucks. 6o% after Jan 1, 40% he stays to save more dollars at the expense of the future. This is classic small thinking land.
So you're saying there's a chance...

Reaction Score
If they would not fire him in season, after multiple bad losses, after multiple bad coaching decisions and after almost 3 seasons of nonsensical rants and inability to implement and execute a game plan, after achieving the lowest ranked offense in CFB 2 years running, why would after next week become magical? Serious football schools don't accept 3 points in 3 games. Serious schools don't accept burning a redshirt with 3 games left n a season of your most promising recruit. A serious football school does not accept multiple, repeat coaching blunders weekly.

I asked 4 weeks ago about the cost of not firing him right then. That cost is front and center today with all time low fan enthusiasm, a potentially empty stadium on senior day and the Spector of the most loyal fans not renewing their tickets. That does not matter and between next week and 1/1, will the economics change so much more than keeping him until the end of 2017?

The lack of any sign from the AD that he cares, the words Diaco continues to use, the apparent inability of the press to care, leads me to have to conclude that Diaco is going nowhere until the end of 2017.

What stage of grief is acceptance? Maybe the more appropriate word is resignation. At least I won't feel bad when I don't go to games next year due to apathy.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's not that they are thinking small, it's that the money isn't there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Any school that is serious about football would relieve him of his duties next Saturday night
And the $5 Million comes from where?
This is not a private school with deep pockets
State school with holes in the pockets thanks to the commie Malloy

Reaction Score
he lack of any sign from the AD that he cares, the words Diaco continues to use, the apparent inability of the press to care, leads me to have to conclude that Diaco is going nowhere until the end of 2017.
This is as disturbing as Diaco. AD is in hiding. No mettle. No zeal. No leadership.

Reaction Score
Even after the ECU game, I thought Diaco was a lock to return. I don't think anyone could have predicted how awry things would go. I am curious as to what @zls44 thinks.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm going with Jan 2. Save over 1.5 million, and it gives us time to look for the right coach. A few might slip through the cracks, but most of them would pass over us anyways.

Reaction Score
If this actually happens by Jan 2nd we're better off with getting a HC from a lower level with a ton of success who's not making much $$$. Get him for Diaco $$$ and move on.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should just scrap •••ing program then if they don't have the balls or conviction to support the program appropriately. Even during the PP years I wasn't this indifferent toward the program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What I would like to know:
What are the odds that AD Benedict will say anything about the situation BEFORE Saturday
I think he needs to say something before the fan base blows up and implodes (if it hasn't already)

Reaction Score
Maybe they should just scrap •••ing program then if they don't have the balls or conviction to support the program appropriately. Even during the PP years I wasn't this indifferent toward the program.
I'm afraid they are going to fudge their way through it. P5 is light years away with what has transpired. Nobody wants a program on its last legs. So, I'm sure the goal is to subsist until stars begin to align for major realignment and then try to rebuild 2 or 3 years before. It's fools gold, but they are going to operate on the cheap. The right watch words for UConn AD and admin are "NO CONVICTION." The worst part will be the panic setting in with UConn basketball falling apart if things go as they are. Then, it will be an all out fire drill to get the program into the BigEast to salvage something. In reality, they will be sealing their grave as a regional university instead of a national flagship. They have this so ephed up and mismanaged over the last decade you could write a text book on incompetence.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I bet they have a plan to move BD along. Benedict will eat crow since he is responsible for extending BD's contract. They did a cost/benefit of keeping BD vs buying him out. The buyout is less of a loss than the long term damage of losing the remaining fans. Plus (frankly) it is the more fiscally responsible move for the taxpayers of CT to cut the loss and move on. They will find the buyout money from the Foundation, boosters, and the $72 million athletic department budget. Here are the percentages:

50% he is fired next week
40% he is fired on January 2
10 % he is fired after the first or second major loss of next year, similar to PP

Reaction Score
I'm afraid they are going to fudge their way through it. P5 is light years away with what has transpired. Nobody wants a program on its last legs. So, I'm sure the goal is to subsist until stars begin to align for major realignment and then try to rebuild 2 or 3 years before. It's fools gold, but they are going to operate on the cheap. The right watch words for UConn AD and admin are "NO CONVICTION." The worst part will be the panic setting in with UConn basketball falling apart if things go as they are. Then, it will be an all out fire drill to get the program into the BigEast to salvage something. In reality, they will be sealing their grave as a regional university instead of a national flagship. They have this so ephed up and mismanaged over the last decade you could write a text book on incompetence.

No reason to think any of this. UConn has the good fortune of knowing what success looks like. The school and state would be wise to always seek getting back to the big time. Anything less than striving for the P5 is wasteful because it will destroy all that has been built over the last 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom