OT: - Oculus Busted TV. What do you do? | The Boneyard

OT: Oculus Busted TV. What do you do?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, night of 23rd Mrs Diesel and I are over a neighbor's house. Drinks were flowing.

Our friends get Mrs. Diesel's attention about some VR game and how they can simulcast it on their TV. After 3 or 4 rounds of the three of them taking turns, Mrs Diesel steps in to a fabulous straight right nailing the TV with her fist. Beautiful Starburst pattern right on top center. TV is toast.

Would you
1. Offer full cost of replacement
2. Go 50/50
3. Something else.

TV replacement is a 55 or 60 inch and is probably in the $500 range. Cost isn't an issue and friend's even have another big screen boxed up they hadn't even used yet.

Reaction Score
Think you need to offer full. He probably says “not necessary- it was an accident and we have an extra anyway.” You say “you sure we feel terrible.” He says “no really.” You stop there and get him a really nice bottle of booze, buy them a dinner or something.

Or he accepts and you pay up - you did bust it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, night of 23rd Mrs Diesel and I are over a neighbor's house. Drinks were flowing.

Our friends get Mrs. Diesel's attention about some VR game and how they can simulcast it on their TV. After 3 or 4 rounds of the three of them taking turns, Mrs Diesel steps in to a fabulous straight right nailing the TV with her fist. Beautiful Starburst pattern right on top center. TV is toast.

Would you
2. Go 50/50
3. Something else.

TV replacement is a 55 or 60 inch and is probably in the $500 range. Cost isn't an issue and friend's even have another big screen boxed up they hadn't even used yet.
Offer some community meat.

EDIT: Replied first. Read thread later.

Reaction Score
You have to offer to replace it. You don’t get to negligently bust up someone’s property and then say “but you don’t need it anyway because you have another one.”

See, lawyers get blamed for people like Chin when they have to step in to settle matters that should be settled without needing them.

Reaction Score

Would you
2. Go 50/50
3. Something else.

Never done VR. Is it boxing? Is this kind of stuff fun as long as you stand away from the screen?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
But you all have a wonderful memory together now, and that’s priceless.

admins GIF

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah if cost isn't an issue just offer to buy them a new TV. If they insist that you don't need to do that, get them another nice gift as @mussels suggested. Otherwise, it could lead to resentment that could boil over and cause a fracture in the friendship.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If Mrs. Chin can KO a television, I don't think your friend has the guts to ask for the money. You should offer to pay for it anyway.

Reaction Score
Pay for a new TV.

Not 50/50 or some other option. Pay for a new TV. If you don't, awful things will be said behind your back even if they are good friends. And there may be lingering resentment. That's just human nature. If you replace the TV, it turns into a funny story and that's the end of it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have to offer to replace it. You don’t get to negligently bust up someone’s property and then say “but you don’t need it anyway because you have another one.”

See, lawyers get blamed for people like Chin when they have to step in to settle matters that should be settled without needing them.

Oh I'd defend his Mrs. against that negligence claim. The hosts furnished the Oculus VR. They presumably selected the location where they would all play, a location that included their TV. It is at least contributory negligence on their part (and probably more than 50%) to effectively put a person who they have blinded and who they know if playing a physical game, in that space without precautions. They're lucky she didn't cut her hand and damage a ligament or something.

That said, offer because it's always best to do the right thing by any friendship.

Reaction Score
Oh I'd defend his Mrs. against that negligence claim. The hosts furnished the Oculus VR. They presumably selected the location where they would all play, a location that included their TV. It is at least contributory negligence on their part (and probably more than 50%) to effectively put a person who they have blinded and who they know if playing a physical game, in that space without precautions. They're lucky she didn't cut her hand and damage a ligament or something.

That said, offer because it's always best to do the right thing by any friendship.

O.K., I was dead wrong. My apologies. Chin isn't the reason people hate lawyers. You've convinced me that lawyers are the reason people hate lawyers.

LOL.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Then why step in now?
Im just joshing :p

Reaction Score
In the spirit of giving an upgrade to a 65 Qled or whatever the latest are now is in order. They will be grateful.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

O.K., I was dead wrong. My apologies. Chin isn't the reason people hate lawyers. You've convinced me that lawyers are the reason people hate lawyers.

LOL.
Defend Mrs. Diesel?

How about bringing a claim against the neighbor for negligence/premises liability? It's preposterous that they set up their VR gaming area so close to the television set when it is reasonably foreseeable that an invitee might punch it (or another object) and injure herself.

How is her hand feeling, @Chin Diesel ? I think you better get it checked out, maybe get some meds and physical therapy prescribed, treat for a couple months and see if she is left with any permanent injury--other than the emotional scars and trauma, that is.

In the meantime, tell him to check his homeowner's insurance policy and put the carrier on notice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom