OC Hire will tell a lot about football future | The Boneyard

OC Hire will tell a lot about football future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The OC hire will be an interesting look into the long-term future of UConn football.

Both Pitt & Rutgers are in the market for an OC as well. We had a head start on both of them in the search but that doesn't matter. They are both P5 schools who we used to play every year.

Pitt has been in the ACC for a few years and has been receiving a full share of conference revenues from Day 1. They are about to see an increase in that number with the start of the ACC Network.

Rutgers is still in the buy-in phase in regards to conference revenues but they are about to see a massive spike as they get a full share of the B1G bounty.

As I can best see, Pitt was paying their OC $560K and Rutgers was paying their guy $450,000. Canada had been an OC before and the Rutgers guy was a 1st year OC after having been WR coach at Houston.

I don't expect UConn to compete with Bama & LSU who are giving their coordinators millions of dollars for multiple years but, if we intend on being serious about football & want to best position ourselves when/if there is one more CR shakeup we better be competitive with both Pitt & RU.

That means we need to be looking at the same caliber candidates & need to be offering a similar compensation packages for this job. We all know the cash crisis we are about to face but if this hire is made on the cheap in both quality of the hire and salary paid then IMO, it is a sign that the administration is telling us that this is now the reality we find ourselves in. The day was going to come at some point where we just can't compete financially, it just may be here now.

This OC hire needs to be a homerun on all levels. The media needs to talk about it, the current players & recruits need to get excited by it & maybe most important it needs to energize the fanbase. I hope our administration understands the critical time this is for UConn football

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The OC hire will be an interesting look into the long-term future of UConn football.

Both Pitt & Rutgers are in the market for an OC as well. We had a head start on both of them in the search but that doesn't matter. They are both P5 schools who we used to play every year.

Pitt has been in the ACC for a few years and has been receiving a full share of conference revenues from Day 1. They are about to see an increase in that number with the start of the ACC Network.

Rutgers is still in the buy-in phase in regards to conference revenues but they are about to see a massive spike as they get a full share of the B1G bounty.

As I can best see, Pitt was paying their OC $560K and Rutgers was paying their guy $450,000. Canada had been an OC before and the Rutgers guy was a 1st year OC after having been WR coach at Houston.

I don't expect UConn to compete with Bama & LSU who are giving their coordinators millions of dollars for multiple years but, if we intend on being serious about football & want to best position ourselves when/if there is one more CR shakeup we better be competitive with both Pitt & RU.

That means we need to be looking at the same caliber candidates & need to be offering a similar compensation packages for this job. We all know the cash crisis we are about to face but if this hire is made on the cheap in both quality of the hire and salary paid then IMO, it is a sign that the administration is telling us that this is now the reality we find ourselves in. The day was going to come at some point where we just can't compete financially, it just may be here now.

This OC hire needs to be a homerun on all levels. The media needs to talk about it, the current players & recruits need to get excited by it & maybe most important it needs to energize the fanbase. I hope our administration understands the critical time this is for UConn football

How can you hit a home run since you get one year and have a paper thin roster and no QB?

Reaction Score
How can you hit a home run since you get one year and have a paper thin roster and no QB?

Honestly this is why I would be surprised to get a young up-and-comer as OC. It'd be nice to find a fired HC that used to be a good OC.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
BD's chance to get the offensive situation right was when he hired Verducci. He blew it.

It feels like it is too late now. As Whaler said, how do you attract someone to work with this coach and this team? All we can hope is that BD can pull in a favor and get someone with talent who wants to try to save their buddy.

Two years ago was when we needed to get the up and coming offensive mind...preferably who had not worked with BD in the past. I doubt that person is coming to this situation. Now he just needs a Hail Mary

It's really hard to be optimistic at this point.

Reaction Score
BD's chance to get the offensive situation right was when he hired Verducci. He blew it.

It feels like it is too late now. As Whaler said, how do you attract someone to work with this coach and this team? All we can hope is that BD can pull in a favor and get someone with talent who wants to try to save their buddy.

Two years ago was when we needed to get the up and coming offensive mind...preferably who had not worked with BD in the past. I doubt that person is coming to this situation. Now he just needs a Hail Mary

Yes it is hard to be optimistic, but I'm really trying.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly this is why I would be surprised to get a young up-and-comer as OC. It'd be nice to find a fired HC that used to be a good OC.

We should check out MIT. I bet some cool nerds have an algorithm which could generate winning plays that we could use as a substitute to a human OC.

Reaction Score
We should check out MIT. I bet some cool nerds have an algorithm which could generate winning plays that we could use as a substitute to a human OC.

If we went to the Franklin-style geometry based passing routes you might be on to something

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm in the camp of believing plenty of football coaches have good offensive minds, with effective plays when executed by talented players. What we need is an entirely different philosophy of how to move the chains and put points on the board. So that OC might be out there for us, but Diaco has to leave him the hell alone.

Reaction Score

It's all so silly I want to laugh out loud but your words are truth...sad to say. He named the last two OC's and promoted them as rock stars, absolutely nothing leads me to believe he can get somebody here and let them do their thing nor have the horses to do so. Head bang

I'm in the camp of believing plenty of football coaches have good offensive minds, with effective plays when executed by talented players. What we need is an entirely different philosophy of how to move the chains and put points on the board. So that OC might be out there for us, but Diaco has to leave him the hell alone.
Ditto reply above...:( BD is a control freak and micro manager he said so after his first season and did not change a bit! As Shaky said BD needs a Hail Mary, I can only add at this point prayer may be the only answer....:D

Reaction Score

Rutgers offensive coordinator search: What's market value for Big Ten play callers?

This was updated today after recent moves: Rutgers offensive coordinator search: Updated list of names to replace Drew Mehringer

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This -- we can't be afraid of the offense getting in rhythm and speeding the game up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's all so silly I want to laugh out loud but your words are truth...sad to say. He named the last two OC's and promoted them as rock stars, absolutely nothing leads me to believe he can get somebody here and let them do their thing nor have the horses to do so. Head bang

I'm starting to think the new definition of 'Rock Star' is 'Used to be somebody"; It's like hiring Paul McCartney.

Reaction Score
I think it's wildly optimistic to think that will be competing with RU and PITT in terms of pay for an OC.

We should however strive to be in the top 4 of assistant pay in this league.

Reaction Score
I think it's wildly optimistic to think that will be competing with RU and PITT in terms of pay for an OC.

We should however strive to be in the top 4 of assistant pay in this league.

Orlando (DC) Houston - $526k
Taylor (OC) Cincinnati - $500k
Chinander (DC) UCF = $425K
Grimes (OL) - Cincinnati - $385k

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Orlando (DC) Houston - $526k
Taylor (OC) Cincinnati - $500k
Chinander (DC) UCF = $425K
Grimes (OL) - Cincinnati - $385k
I expect Pitt and RU to pay at more than that top mark.

We have to step our game up.

Reaction Score
I expect Pitt and RU to pay at more than that top mark.

We have to step our game up.

Agree. Just noting the "top 4 of assistant pay in this league". That is only last year and doesn't take into consideration any new hires in AAC this year.

The link above has the B1G OC salaries for last year:

1, Tim Drevno, Michigan, $850,000
2. Ed Warinner, Ohio State, $654,500 *
3. Garrick McGee, Illinois, $650,000
4. Greg Davis, Iowa, $625,000
5. Tim Beck, Ohio State, $604,500
6. Joe Rudolph, Wisconsin, $575,635
7. Jay Johnson, Minnesota, $550,000
8. Danny Langsdorf, Nebraska, $527,875
9. Walt Bell, Maryland, $500,000
10. Dave Warner, Michigan State, $450,584 *
11. Drew Mehringer, Rutgers, $450,000
12. Jim Bollman, Michigan State, $439,434
13. Terry Malone, Purdue, $400,000
14. Kevin Johns, Indiana, $381,000

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

We won't get anyone worth a damn since Red Pants is skating on thin ice

temery

What?
Reaction Score
We won't get anyone worth a damn since Red Pants is skating on thin ice

I'm not sure how true this would be. Someone looking to move up may see an opportunity.

Reaction Score
Agree. Just noting the "top 4 of assistant pay in this league". That is only last year and doesn't take into consideration any new hires in AAC this year.

The link above has the B1G OC salaries for last year:

1, Tim Drevno, Michigan, $850,000
2. Ed Warinner, Ohio State, $654,500 *
3. Garrick McGee, Illinois, $650,000
4. Greg Davis, Iowa, $625,000
5. Tim Beck, Ohio State, $604,500
6. Joe Rudolph, Wisconsin, $575,635
7. Jay Johnson, Minnesota, $550,000
8. Danny Langsdorf, Nebraska, $527,875
9. Walt Bell, Maryland, $500,000
10. Dave Warner, Michigan State, $450,584 *
11. Drew Mehringer, Rutgers, $450,000
12. Jim Bollman, Michigan State, $439,434
13. Terry Malone, Purdue, $400,000
14. Kevin Johns, Indiana, $381,000

I was hoping Garrick McGee woulda got a phone call for the HC gig a few years back.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Good Lord. The last thing we need is another favor in BD's hiring strategy. He's done everything short of bringing his immediate family on staff, and it's part of what's gotten us in this mess. I want someone who has no prior experience with Diaco. That should literally be a prerequisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom