OC Frank Giufre and some of the offensive coaches take a look back on spring practice and what expectations are moving forward. | The Boneyard

OC Frank Giufre and some of the offensive coaches take a look back on spring practice and what expectations are moving forward.

Reaction Score
Coach, you do know you're EXECUTING against the UConn defense, right? How much continuity can an offense have with its 3rd OC in 3 years?

Reaction Score
Oh stop. An old friend coached at LSU a few years ago. He is retired now but coached several places including a stint with Alan NFL team that has been to more than a few Super Bowls. At LSU They had 7 offensive plays base plays. They stressed A. Execution. B. Execution C. On field decision-making by the quarterback. Everything was a variation off the 7 bases. Everyone knew the plays. They just ran them very well and had guys who made good decisions.

Reaction Score
Oh stop. An old friend coached at LSU a few years ago. He is retired now but coached several places including a stint with Alan NFL team that has been to more than a few Super Bowls. At LSU They had 7 offensive plays base plays. They stressed A. Execution. B. Execution C. On field decision-making by the quarterback. Everything was a variation off the 7 bases. Everyone knew the plays. They just ran them very well and had guys who made good decisions.

Tom Osborne at Nebraska probably had less than seven plays. The we’re going to out muscle and out execute the other team. Wear them down.

Reaction Score
Consistent execution and more intensity, play over play, generally wins games. The mind unwilling to accept that it takes painful, boring repetition and attention to detail and mastery of technique until it becomes reflexive, moves to the cure all- if I only had better athletes, if only we had better facilities, if only we had new Surface Pros... then we’d contend.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Lashlee’s offense was only a few plays also. It’s amazing to think DeLeon thought having walls papered with plays was a good thing.

Reaction Score
This team is capable of a big turnaround this fall. I love the infectious intensity built into the new strength training regimen and the way the players have bought into the revamped coaching staff. Getting psyched for the season.

Reaction Score
Consistent execution and more intensity, play over play, generally wins games. The mind unwilling to accept that it takes painful, boring repetition and attention to detail and mastery of technique until it becomes reflexive, moves to the cure all- if I only had better athletes, if only we had better facilities, if only we had new Surface Pros... then we’d contend.

I agree with this. I never played at this level of competition but I was a part of enough upsets to know it's not the best team that wins, but the team that plays the best. Executing in each phase as one unit and playing with confidence wins games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This team is capable of a big turnaround this fall. I love the infectious intensity built into the new strength training regimen and the way the players have bought into the revamped coaching staff. Getting psyched for the season.

I too am excited about the S&C...but also - yes - the new coaching staff. I think the new staff has the ability to surprise. The area of concern I have is with the passing game. Guifre/Moyseeko/Smith/C-Edsall have a bit of a challenge in devising an effective passing game.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can win with conviction week one and get a fired up + 30K crowd at the Rent for week two. A win in week two would be cathartic.

Two huge keys will be Spanos' ability to scheme a line of scrimmage pass rush (something we haven't had since Don Brown left) and strong QB play, I do think all three QB's have real D1 passing talent and I am most excited by the kid who led his D2 team to the championship game as a freshman. (not an easy thing to do). I think Beaudry's passing talent is similar to Cochran's passing talent with a slightly stronger arm. BTW the team Beaudry lost to in the 2017 D2 championship game was QB'd by Luis Perez who is currently on the Eagles roster.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I need to understand which receivers are going to step up before I get too optimistic. Also, that may determine who is QB.
Do they attempt to have a passing game or do they just commit to the run and short passes? That decision, may determine who is QB.

Reaction Score
I need to understand which receivers are going to step up before I get too optimistic. Also, that may determine who is QB.
Do they attempt to have a passing game or do they just commit to the run and short passes? That decision, may determine who is QB.
We can't/shouldn't go back to the short pass garbage.. We gotta open this thing up.. run the ball, play action, RPO, mix it up....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom