Observations | The Boneyard

Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After a horrible first half, we turned it around by speeding the game up when we could and our outstanding defense took the game over. Huge props to Ollie for making adjustments, Nolan for his stellar defense down low, great half from Purvis and Hamilton. Gibbs had a horrible turnover during our late game collapse but kept his head in the play, stole it right back and then iced the game from the line. Our ft shooting is otherworldly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
After a horrible first half, we turned it around by speeding the game up when we could and our outstanding defense took the game over. Huge props to Ollie for making adjustments, Nolan for his stellar defense down low, great half from Purvis and Hamilton. Gibbs had a horrible turnover during our late game collapse but kept his head in the play, stole it right back and then iced the game from the line. Our ft shooting is otherworldly.

Still marveling at that hamilton cross court pass out of bounds. wasn't even open. not sure what he was thinking. he killed it otherwise though.

Reaction Score
I sort of invented a "pressure FT" stat when looking back at the last NCAA Tournament. Everyone used the last five minutes/OT stat, which was something like 64-70, but that included Leon Tolksdorf missing one in garbage time, and Boat missing the very last one in the overtime against Saint Joe's with five seconds left when we were up by nine and the game was wrapped up (plus a couple against Villanova when we led by more than 10). So I said, "last six minutes, 10 points or less, still a mathematical possibility of losing" and I think we were 49-50 or 50-51 (Bazz missed one up by five against Iowa State with 1:30 to go and that was it).

I used goalposts basically to make us as good as possible, but still.

We were 11-11 today. The last two from Purvis still fall under the "mathematically possible" - long pass to a three-pointer, followed by a Darius Rice.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I sort of invented a "pressure FT" stat when looking back at the last NCAA Tournament.

I used goalposts basically to make us as good as possible, but still.

That is complety mojo positive.

Reaction Score
FT shooting has been incredible in our tourney runs

The only guy who missed a free throw all day was Enoch. And that was because he got fouled about four seconds after entering the game for the first time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The only guy who missed a free throw all day was Enoch. And that was because he got fouled about four seconds after entering the game for the first time.

nah, that's because he's a 45% FT shooter. haha

Reaction Score
They never used the baseline after a make by the Buffs either on the in bounds always elected to stay put - WTH?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They never used the baseline after a make by the Buffs either on the in bounds always elected to stay put - WTH?

yeah that was weird. amazing to see what having bigs with hands will do on offense though. their interior passing was tight.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Brimah. Limited PT. Why? I hope someone asks Ollie. He had limited minutes in AAC too. Hand issues?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Brimah. Limited PT. Why? I hope someone asks Ollie. He had limited minutes in AAC too. Hand issues?

not the right match up for him. Phil better on the ball defender.

Reaction Score
not the right match up for him. Phil better on the ball defender.

There's your answer. Amida is effective when he can slack off his guy a bit and be an off-ball shot blocker/rim protector. Against three pretty solid low post scorers, Amida can become a liability one-on-one as his instincts and foot speed are always a step slow. Also, I never want Amida posting up in the history of ever. That hideous half hook body flail thing has not gone in in over a year.

Other observations...

1) MAJOR props to Phil who came in and illustrated what solid post and pick and roll defense looks like.
2) Purvis for hitting two huge threes and then getting out in transition. He had 11 huge points during the game changing run and lead extension. Gibbs for sacking up and purely sinking FTs.
3) DHam was excellent and is extremely tough to handle when he penetrates from the top of the key.
4) Sam Jr. Why? Although it's strange, for no reason whatsoever, I expected him to hit that 3.
5) I thought Omar played very well in his short (9 minutes?) time. I'm not sure who's time he could have taken due to their bigs, but I really like his minutes.
6) Is it possible that one of those hoops was just too tight? We could not buy a shot in the first half and Colorado struggled mightily on that same hoop in the 2nd half.
7) I'm usually not one of the guys who thinks that every time we're breathed upon it's a foul and on the converse that we're allowed to rape and pillage without it being one, but I thought the officiating was just hideous both ways.

Some negatives; two of which are recurring

8) Maybe I'm delusional, but I feel like Facey is so close to being an excellent player. He does things that none of our other bigs can do. But yet, it seems like he leaves you scratching your head more often than not.
9) I've said this at least 312 times this year. But for the love of God, KO, why do you not realize that our scouting report dictates that the defense completely ignore our 5 man on the high screen/roll; especially when it's Gibbs running the point? I feel like almost every first half we are committed to running that set and what occurs is Gibbs trying to dribble around a double team and putting our offense completely out of rhythm. Then we are forced to go one-on-one which often necistates our "shot-clock" violation play. Amida is barely a threat when he's 5 feet from the hoop. Everyone knows we're not going to use him cutting to the hoop 12-13 feet away. And to follow up, why does it always take so long to make that adjustment? We hardly ever run that stuff in the 2nd half.
10) As an additional follow-up, why are our bigs (especially Amida) hedging so incredibly deep on the opponents screen rolls? It's the converse of the above except that a decent point guard will find the wide open guy. This also requires our other guys to rotate putting people out of position. Against Cinci, Memphis, and Temple this often put Miller in precarious situations with guys with deep position down low and just simplified Miller's silly fouling tendencies.
11) On another related x and o note, why did it take so long to figure out how to deal with the 1-2-1-1 at the end? How many times did we have to do exactly what the press dictated by giving the ball to our smallest, slowest guard in a trappable position before we made an adjustment? Raftery and Grant Hill called it immediately and Nance was shocked how we kept on making the same mistake. Call a freaking timeout and get everyone organized.

Reaction Score
There's your answer. Amida is effective when he can slack off his guy a bit and be an off-ball shot blocker/rim protector. Against three pretty solid low post scorers, Amida can become a liability one-on-one as his instincts and foot speed are always a step slow. Also, I never want Amida posting up in the history of ever. That hideous half hook body flail thing has not gone in in over a year.

Other observations...

1) MAJOR props to Phil who came in and illustrated what solid post and pick and roll defense looks like.
2) Purvis for hitting two huge threes and then getting out in transition. He had 11 huge points during the game changing run and lead extension. Gibbs for sacking up and purely sinking FTs.
3) DHam was excellent and is extremely tough to handle when he penetrates from the top of the key.
4) Sam Jr. Why? Although it's strange, for no reason whatsoever, I expected him to hit that 3.
5) I thought Omar played very well in his short (9 minutes?) time. I'm not sure who's time he could have taken due to their bigs, but I really like his minutes.
6) Is it possible that one of those hoops was just too tight? We could not buy a shot in the first half and Colorado struggled mightily on that same hoop in the 2nd half.
7) I'm usually not one of the guys who thinks that every time we're breathed upon it's a foul and on the converse that we're allowed to rape and pillage without it being one, but I thought the officiating was just hideous both ways.

8) Maybe I'm delusional, but I feel like Facey is so close to being an excellent player. He does things that none of our other bigs can do. But yet, it seems like he leaves you scratching your head more often than not.
9) I've said this at least 312 times this year. But for the love of God, KO, why do you not realize that our scouting report dictates that the defense completely ignore our 5 man on the high screen/roll; especially when it's Gibbs running the point? I feel like almost every first half we are committed to running that set and what occurs is Gibbs trying to dribble around a double team and putting our offense completely out of rhythm. Then we are forced to go one-on-one which often necistates our "shot-clock" violation play. Amida is barely a threat when he's 5 feet from the hoop. Everyone knows we're not going to use him cutting to the hoop 12-13 feet away. And to follow up, why does it always take so long to make that adjustment? We hardly ever run that stuff in the 2nd half.
10) As an additional follow-up, why are our bigs (especially Amida) hedging so incredibly deep on the opponents screen rolls? It's the converse of the above except that a decent point guard will find the wide open guy. This also requires our other guys to rotate putting people out of position. Against Cinci, Memphis, and Temple this often put Miller in precarious situations with guys with deep position down low and just simplified Miller's silly fouling tendencies.
11) On another related x and o note, why did it take so long to figure out how to deal with the 1-2-1-1 at the end? How many times did we have to do exactly what the press dictated by giving the ball to our smallest, slowest guard in a trappable position before we made an adjustment? Raftery and Grant Hill called it immediately and Nance was shocked how we kept on making the same mistake. Call a freaking timeout and get everyone organized.

Good post and I agree with everything except the Facey comments. I just don't think he will ever be more than what he is now. He certainly isn't s true 4 as he showed today by not being able to block out on a late free throw which was grabbed by Colorado. I'd be satisfied with 5 - 7 productive minutes a game which he isn't really providing now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
screening is not always about feeding the screener, it always leads to a defensive rotation unless you want brimah to catch an open lob.

KO is drawing up a lot of impressive stuff, it started in the AAC tourney. Guys are timing when to come off the down screens better , outstanding change of pace from purvis/Gibbs/Hamilton. Purvis just needs to not force any thing .

As far as hedging I had my issues with it but realize most d1 schools aren't equipt with pro talent who split doubles well or make skip passes at a high rate. The hard hedge is what makes uconn defense elite , especially when purvis/Adams are helping well weakside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not saying that I wasn't nervous because I'm always nervous. But there was never one moment when I thought we weren't going to beat these guys.

Reaction Score
Good post and I agree with everything except the Facey comments. I just don't think he will ever be more than what he is now. He certainly isn't s true 4 as he showed today by not being able to block out on a late free throw which was grabbed by Colorado. I'd be satisfied with 5 - 7 productive minutes a game which he isn't really providing now.

There are times where he just really looks like a player. Case in point, that alley-oop. He caught it and glided so smoothly in the air and then inexplicably nearly airballed the oop. His other layup miss was a super smooth looking finger-roll thing that he should have just dunked. He's got bounce, a pretty solid J, but yet makes so many defensive/fundamental mistakes. I just remember the guy who put up 14-9 against Duke last year and looked legit and every once in awhile there are these glimpses of what he could be.

Reaction Score
screening is not always about feeding the screener, it always leads to a defensive rotation unless you want brimah to catch an open lob.

I agree. The issue is this. Brimah is not a threat in any way shape or form. So there is no need to rotate with any expediency. Instead, Gibbs tries to dribble out of the double team which throws our entire set completely off. SO now when he finally gets rid of the ball, there are 12 seconds on the clock and Purvis or Hamilton is now committed to try and go one on one. There's a reason most of our first halfs are pretty hideous and I think this is a large part of it. We never get into any rhythm because we are against the shot clock so often. I doubt anyone keeps the stat, but I bet you the majority of our shot-clock violations are in the first half of games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Facey was pretty bad today but that's a good thing. He's pre-disastered. He'll give us some good minutes on Saturday.

Reaction Score

Other observations...

Most PGs really haven't been doing this, and most of the time with the way that hedge operates its gonna have to require a PG to either sling a one handed whip pass, a skip pass, or overhead 2 hander, possibly even jumping to deliver the pass. There is only one kind of tier of PG in college who can really deliver those passes. Also, Miller isn't really committing his fouls on those defensive plays as you described, its just him being so damn silly with hands and arms 90% of the time.

Reaction Score
@boog204 you lost your mind boog. Brimah is the best lob threat on the team probably , he is never rolling into the paint not guarded . He isn't a good screener but he is fast so he slips well and makes the defense rotate .

Look that isn't crazy impressive but it's necessary action when there is a dearth of offensive talent among the bigs. When Gibbs feeds the weakside wing they are looking at an unbalanced floor where they can attack. Less bodies in the drivers path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom