Observations on Cincy | The Boneyard

Observations on Cincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, I managed to catch the game yesterday when Cincinnati was at home vs USF:

I saw many flaws in their game that I would like to touch upon..

1) Kilpatrick:
I don't think UConn would be able to stop him, but even if we can't, where would their scoring come from? Justin Jackson is not a great scorer (11 PPG) and their next leading scorers after him average about 7 PPG from 2 other players, Shaquille Thomas and Titus Rubles. Jackson/Thomas/Rubles usually score inside, so if we can keep Brimah in their for most of the time, we better hope he can protect the rim.

Kilpatrick, and Jackson respectively combined for 33 of the team's 50 points. They struggled against USF who was giving them a lot of fits. Cincy tends to let teams shoot jump shots because through all the games I've watched them, they focus on half court defense. Once the opponents guards settle past half court, Cincy's defense just get lazy on perimeter defense and this could be used to UConn's advantage as they can't score much inside.

2) Kromah/Giffey
Kromah has been a great addition to this team and we're expecting him to guard Kilpatrick (Or Giffey would get the assignment off the bench). Kromah is a great defender, but I still think Kilpatrick will be able to get 20 something points if no one else on the bearcats show up. Even if he does score 20 +, we still have a shot at holding the other players and this could end up UGLY for Cincy. Think about it, great half court defense but they often let teams shoot jumpers as they expect them to miss every one of them. UConn's gotta take advantage, and I'm sure Ollie will make sure they do.

3) Kilpatrick forcing shots

Every game I see Kilpatrick play, he's thrown some badly forced shots, even against teams who can't defend well on the perimeter. UConn HAS to make them run the shot clock down because the ball will mostly be in Kilpatrick's hands, and he'll likely chuck the ball because no one else will. He'll often attempt shots that Jimmer Fredette woulda tried back in the day and they really don't go in as much as you think.

4) Transition defense/offense

Cincinnati murdered Louisville during the fast break getting a lot of dunks in the first half.However, I think we have the advantage here. We have some pretty quick guards who can get back and force Cincy to pull back and settle behind the 3pt line. Louisville didn't have fast guards besides Russ Smith but he gave up at half court when he realized Kilpatrick and Jermaine Sanders were way past him because they turned the ball over at half court. Also, Uconn must take advantage of their quickness. We have to crash the boards and immediately push because Cincinnati isn't fast, and we can score some easy buckets.

- These are just my observations. If you have something to say, just don't bash me. I'm trying to open up a discussion on this game so you all understand how Cincinnati REALLY is.
thanks

Reaction Score
So, I managed to catch the game yesterday when Cincinnati was at home vs USF:

I saw many flaws in their game that I would like to touch upon..

1) Kilpatrick:
I don't think UConn would be able to stop him, but even if we can't, where would their scoring come from? Justin Jackson is not a great scorer (11 PPG) and their next leading scorers after him average about 7 PPG from 2 other players, Shaquille Thomas and Titus Rubles. Jackson/Thomas/Rubles usually score inside, so if we can keep Brimah in their for most of the time, we better hope he can protect the rim.

Kilpatrick, and Jackson respectively combined for 33 of the team's 50 points. They struggled against USF who was giving them a lot of fits. Cincy tends to let teams shoot jump shots because through all the games I've watched them, they focus on half court defense. Once the opponents guards settle past half court, Cincy's defense just get lazy on perimeter defense and this could be used to UConn's advantage as they can't score much inside.

2) Kromah/Giffey
Kromah has been a great addition to this team and we're expecting him to guard Kilpatrick (Or Giffey would get the assignment off the bench). Kromah is a great defender, but I still think Kilpatrick will be able to get 20 something points if no one else on the bearcats show up. Even if he does score 20 +, we still have a shot at holding the other players and this could end up UGLY for Cincy. Think about it, great half court defense but they often let teams shoot jumpers as they expect them to miss every one of them. UConn's gotta take advantage, and I'm sure Ollie will make sure they do.

3) Kilpatrick forcing shots

Every game I see Kilpatrick play, he's thrown some badly forced shots, even against teams who can't defend well on the perimeter. UConn HAS to make them run the shot clock down because the ball will mostly be in Kilpatrick's hands, and he'll likely chuck the ball because no one else will. He'll often attempt shots that Jimmer Fredette woulda tried back in the day and they really don't go in as much as you think.

4) Transition defense/offense

Cincinnati murdered Louisville during the fast break getting a lot of dunks in the first half.However, I think we have the advantage here. We have some pretty quick guards who can get back and force Cincy to pull back and settle behind the 3pt line. Louisville didn't have fast guards besides Russ Smith but he gave up at half court when he realized Kilpatrick and Jermaine Sanders were way past him because they turned the ball over at half court. Also, Uconn must take advantage of their quickness. We have to crash the boards and immediately push because Cincinnati isn't fast, and we can score some easy buckets.

- These are just my observations. If you have something to say, just don't bash me. I'm trying to open up a discussion on this game so you all understand how Cincinnati REALLY is.
thanks

How'd they ever win a game?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Tale of the tape in conference play

Looking at cinci offensively is the wrong way to size up this team. Their opponent eFG% is one of the best in the country. You don't get numbers like that by letting your opponent have anything or being lazy.

The good news? Our defense is pretty damn good too. They've held teams to 43.5% eFG in conference play, we've held teams to 44%. We more than offset that with our 51.5% shooting to their 48.4

Originally I was concerned about rebounding but we are quietly performing much better on the glass of late. We've rebound a greater % of misses than Cinci has in conference play, both offensively and defensively. If we get in there and scrap we'll be okay.

Where cinci is sneaky, and where we have to be focused, is protecting the ball. They turn teams over on 21% of possessions! They hang their hat on turning you over and getting out and turning those turnovers into points.

My keys to the game.

1) Control the ball, force them to score in the half court
2) Brimah. Has to stay out of foul trouble and be a presence.
3) Shoot our average from 3. They can't shoot with us from deep.

If we do those things, we can overcome their home court advantage.

Reaction Score
They're a good for a reason. Anything we do on offense or defense will be made difficult.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
South Florida has historically been a bad match up for Cincinnati because of their size at every position. Cincinnati is a very small team, they don't play anyone more taller than 6' 8'' (Justin Jackson) for more than a few minutes a game. You also have to consider UC played a very emotional rivalry game on Thursday. Sean Kilpatrick also was very sick and didn't practice on Friday or Saturday.

From what I've seen of UConn they run a lot of ball screens, and Cincinnati is going to switch every screen. Justin Jackson and Titus Rubles are both capable of guarding smaller players, in fact Rubles guarded Russ Smith for long stretches of the Louisville game. They key for UConn will be taking advantage of the switches, meaning Boatwright and Napier will need to draw fouls on Rubles & Jackson.

The UC players know and respect how good UConn is so they will come out fired up. I think this will be a very good game, Cincinnati has to contain the rest of the team because Napier is going to kill us like he has the past 3 years. Kilpatrick and Napier should be a big battle down the stretch of the game as both have been clutch in the last few minutes of close games.

caw

Reaction Score
South Florida has historically been a bad match up for Cincinnati because of their size at every position. Cincinnati is a very small team, they don't play anyone more taller than 6' 8'' (Justin Jackson) for more than a few minutes a game. You also have to consider UC played a very emotional rivalry game on Thursday. Sean Kilpatrick also was very sick and didn't practice on Friday or Saturday.

From what I've seen of UConn they run a lot of ball screens, and Cincinnati is going to switch every screen. Justin Jackson and Titus Rubles are both capable of guarding smaller players, in fact Rubles guarded Russ Smith for long stretches of the Louisville game. They key for UConn will be taking advantage of the switches, meaning Boatwright and Napier will need to draw fouls on Rubles & Jackson.

The UC players know and respect how good UConn is so they will come out fired up. I think this will be a very good game, Cincinnati has to contain the rest of the team because Napier is going to kill us like he has the past 3 years. Kilpatrick and Napier should be a big battle down the stretch of the game as both have been clutch in the last few minutes of close games.

I'd say that's fair. It's a very interesting team you have.

That said, Russ Smith is a much different player than Napier. Not saying Rubles can't defend him, but Russ lives on attacking the hoop where Napier lives on his step back and shooting ability. Napier is also a much better passer. Much different way of defending, and IMO, much more difficult.

Hopefully a good game with decent reffing.

Reaction Score
Cincy switching on ball screens is very advantageous for Bazz, Bazz eats big men alive with his step back J when they get matched up on him.

Reaction Score
They aren't big but they're pretty long, athletic and physical. Let's be honest once in a while, like many inadequate perimeter teams, they make shots - this can't happen Thursday. When they make shots they're real tough, especially at home. Good news is not that often……but one thing they will do is make Bazz and Boat work harder than ever to get the offense going. Others will need to step up and in a big way, someone - anyone!

Rebound, play our usual D and they'll be in it the whole way with a chance down the stretch. Make some shots and make your FT's (it will be war) slip away with a W? Never know……..if the Huskies are at full strength they're just as good!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn wins this game for two reasons 1. They have a much better shooting team. 2. They also play pretty good defense. It will be close. The x factor as usual for Uconn will be the low post game, will they get scoring there. If they get 15 and 10 from the 3 headed monster, they win by double digits.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Cincy is big, physical and quick for their size at each position. They have a large size advantage at the guard positions and a physical strength advantage across the board. UConn will need to be both fired up/aggressive but also play with poise. It would be a huge win for UConn if we can pull it off, but of course, we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Is DeAndre Daniels going to play? He is another concern of mine for UC.

Reaction Score
Is DeAndre Daniels going to play? He is another concern of mine for UC.
Looks like there's a chance he does.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-0204-20140203,0,758653.story

DeAndre Daniels took a small step toward playing in UConn's pivotal game at Cincinnati, getting back on the court for the first time since Jan. 25.

Daniels, who sustained a high right ankle sprain at Rutgers, played in the second half of that game but missed the game against Houston Thursday. He did not practice last week and the Huskies had three days off.

The Huskies, now ranked No. 22 in the Associated Press poll, began work for their Thursday game against No. 7 Cincinnati. Daniels did some light practicing Monday, but avoided contact. He'll test the ankle in practices Tuesday and Wednesday.

caw

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how UConn defends Cincy.

They go:
Kilpatrick 6-4
Guyn 6-2
Rubles 6-7
JJ 6-8
Shaq Thamas 6-7

Bench
Sanders 6-5
TC 6-3

Ordinarily, I would say put Kromah on Kilpatrick but I'm not sure either Bazz or Boat can defend Rubles if he goes in the post/rebounds. Then again Kilpatrick is also strong. I might have Boat on him and help if he goes in the post. Cincy isn't the greatest passing team. Need to team rebound though.

Would be a fantastic day for Omar to break out of his slump to add some height to the backcourt.

Their bench isn't great in the frontcourt but continues with the bigger guards.

I imagine zone would be best, but with UConns short guards that will be difficult. They are an usually underwhelming shooting team.

Reaction Score
I know Cincy is a REALLY good team...I won't judge them on a 5pt win vs S Fla. They will be a heck of a lot more jacked up to play UConn on national TV. Hopefully they are a little too jacked up at home like we were against L'ville.

I expect a close winable game...make 3's, bazz/boat get to the free throw line & make them, hold our own on the boards and we'll have a good chance to win. I hope Daniels can play but I think we can still win without him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc