OT: - Observations of the US Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Observations of the US Open

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I found the women's final underwhelming. Fernandez looked worn out and overmatched from the get go.

Reaction Score
We will see. Her side of the draw was not the strongest. I honestly did not see her play until today's match. Fernandez did not push her at all. Having said that, to go through the tournament without dropping a set is nothing to sneeze at. However, there have been a number of players who have been designated the "next dominant women's player" who have fallen short of the early expectations.

Reaction Score
We will see. Her side of the draw was not the strongest. I honestly did not see her play until today's match. Fernandez did not push her at all. Having said that, to go through the tournament without dropping a set is nothing to sneeze at. However, there have been a number of players who have been designated the "next dominant women's player" who have fallen short of the early expectations.
If winning a Grand Slam tournament as a qualifier wasn't impressive enough, Raducanu did so, dominantly, never having dropped a set en route to her victory.

Raducanu is the first women's player to win the US Open without losing a set since Serena Williams in 2014. Raducanu played 14 sets this tournament, and won every single one. If you include her three qualifying matches where she won six sets, that's 20 straight set wins.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What Emma Raducanu accomplished in this tournament is nothing short of historic. First qualifier (ranked #150 ) to ever win a GS tournament. Three qualifying matches, plus 7 main-draw matches, and she was 20-0 in sets, with no set closer than 6-4. Other players have (rarely) won GS tournaments without dropping a set, but not sure I can recall any run to the trophy as dominant as this one, except maybe some of Nadal's French Open wins.

For people inclined to asterisk her win because of the draw, it wasn't her fault that the highest seeds in the draw lost before she could play them. All she did was go out and steamroll every player who did advance to face her.

The thing that most impressed me -- more so than her elegant athleticism, her easy power, and her footwork -- was the supreme composure and confidence she displayed. Extremely rare for an 18-year-old, and virtually unheard-of for a qualifier playing in only her 2nd GS tournament. Tennis futures are never easy to predict, but it's hard to imagine that this was just a one-off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I thought it was a very good match. I thought Raducano was pushed. She's lucky she didn't get broken in the last game imo. But whatever.

And - I'm not saying that Raducano is- the next super- just saying "maybe" she is. I just think those two were tremendous - even today.

I'm no tennis expert but Pam Shriver brought up a point about the match being an hour and 51 minutes and it just went two sets. I checked some stats- there were 148 points played of the 19 games. That's an average of 8.84 points within game. That means on average every game was going to slightly above "deuce." That's by far the highest points within a game we've seen from the women over at least the last 10 years in the US Open finals. That's because the two are extremely quick/ fast. Thus, there were many points that were exciting.

Oh well- I was just very impressed with the match and I saw a stat from Pam that throughout the whole tournament, that Raducano didn't receive one 2nd serve outside the baseline. That's crazy good.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching the tournament.

Happy for Raducano for the great performances.

Happy for Leylah Annie for the great way she conducted herself on and off the court.

Hope that the newfound fame and fortune is suitable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the main difference was Layla's first serve was off but showed alot of grit by not just lobbing in a second serve. Emma's first serve was better in general

Both showed incredible composure. Neither showed any quit or nerves. Emma played perhaps a but bigger and had more physicality but I would be surprised if both players were not top players for the next 15-20 years challenging for Open wins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a women's tennis fan I thought it was a very good final. I'm disappointed for LAF but having another well-spoken, incredibly composed teenager win is fine with me.

Maybe it was mental/physical exhaustion, or nerves, but LAF could not get her first serve in. Considering how poorly that serve was, she managed to hang around (more, longer games) for longer than seemed appropriate.

Hopefully we saw the start of 2 long, successful careers.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As a youngster, I used to go to Forest Hills for the Nationals...I think it was called that back in those days...and it was reasonably priced...I don't remember how little, but I do recall that when I got out of the army in '65, I could buy a '62 Margaux or Haut-brion for 15 bucks...

My point: Leila's game reminds me of two old-timers...Rod Laver because of the lefty aspects that both take/took advantage of... but even more, the diminutive Ken Rosewall with the amazing backhand, touch and court awareness.
Being diminutive seemed rarely to disadvantage him...In a final against Lew Hoad; his shot-making and service return completely frustrated the larger, stronger man.

We haven't seen a player like her and who plays like that in some time...It will be fun following her in the up-coming years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Reading the national news that said the win was a historic win yet I read on the Boneyard a post that says something negative. It was a good win but ..... But nothing! She did not lose a set and won in the first Grand Slam in which she played. Give the young lady credit without saying something negative. The Boneyard can be tough.:confused:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Djokovic looks vulnerable. Down a set and a break.

Pretty annoying listening to McEnroe pushing the Djokovic is tired card. Maybe Medvedev has something to do with it. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Medvedev wins in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-4. Some in the crowd in 3rd set started to interfere in the game by not quieting down when Medvedev served his second serves or it would have ended 6-2.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Medvedev wins in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-4. Some in the crowd in 3rd set started to interfere in the game by not quieting down when Medvedev served his second serves or it would have ended 6-2.
I was surprised the umpire permitted it to occur

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was surprised the umpire permitted it to occur
There is only so much he could do. Could not penalize Djokovic (not his fault directly) and could not stop the match.

Reaction Score
She may have just won $2.5million, but US Open champion Emma Raducanu is eyeing up something rather modest to buy as her first post-win purchase.

The British tennis star just wants some new headphones.

Specifically, the 18-year-old wants some Apple AirPods – which retail at less than $152..

Raducanu said she lost hers three weeks ago and is desperate to replace them now she’s won the major grand slam.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It would not have surprised me if Novak was mentally and/or physically tired. While Daniil was rolling thru each match, Novak was losing the first set. Then in the semi's, he had a grueling 5 set match against Zverev.

Medvedev is a human backboard and many of Novak's shots (or at least "some") would have been winners against other opponents. Djokavic also made numerous unforced errors - unusual for him. Maybe it was mental fatigue, physical fatigue, or maybe it was the enormity of the moment.

Whatever the reason, not a 5-set thriller final, but incredible win for Medvedev. It was a very compelling US Open all the way around.

Reaction Score
I am amazed by Raducanu's game, yes she has poise and hits balls sharply and with accuracy, but her overall speed and quickness is the most impressive thing to me. It seemed like there wasn't anything she couldn't reach!
The women's game is so competitive now over the last few years! I can't see Serena hanging on for much longer, and there is no way she can keep up with the speed and quickness of the newcomers. I always liked Petra Kivitova's game but at age 31, is it too soon to say she might be over the hill? I thought Iga Swiatek would be the next great women's player, and maybe she still will be, but wow is it a crowded field now.

The women's game won't drop off in terms of quality if such players as Raducanu, Fernandez, Osaka, Sabalenka, Barty, Andreescu, Swiatek, and others- all under age 25 (well, Barty is 25)- are competing. What an exciting future in women's tennis it is!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I found the women's final underwhelming. Fernandez looked worn out and overmatched from the get go.
Or you are witnessing the beginning of absolute greatness from Raducano? Was there any match that you saw from Raducano in which the opponent wasn't overwhelmed in this tourney?

I think we all can agree Fernandez had the far more difficult road to the US Open Final, in terms of seeded opponents and amount of tennis played.

Fernandez: Road to the US Open Final
  • 3R: (3) Naomi Osaka
  • 4R: (16) Angelique Kerber
  • QF: (5) Elina Svitolina
  • SF: (2) Aryna Sabalenka
All four matches went three sets.

Raducanu: Road to the US Open Final
  • 3R: Sara Sorribes Tormo
  • 4E: Shelby Rogers
  • QF: (11) Belinda Bencic
  • SF: (17) Maria Sakkari
All four matches were straight set victories. Rogers had defeated #1 Ashleigh Barty. Sakkari had defeated three top ten seeds (#10 Kvitova, #6 Andreescu, and #4 Pliskova) en route to the semifinal matchup with Raducanu.

Not taking anything away from Raducanu's amazing and historic victory -- first British woman to win a GS since 1977, first player (male or female) to win the US Open as a qualifier -- but in terms of the number of seeds and quality of opposition faced on the way to the US Open Final, Fernandez had a much tougher road. It might not have changed the result, but it is something to be considered.

As an aside, Raducanu is arguably the most famous "Emma" right now in British pop culture, surpassing Emma Watson for the time being. ;-)

Reaction Score
One of the greatest remarks ever in defeat in a major sporting event came from a 19 year old Canadian born tennis player on Saturday- " I hope I can be as strong and resilient as New York has been the last 20 years." She will be a fan favorite at the Open for the rest of her life.

Reaction Score
I think we all can agree Fernandez had the far more difficult road to the US Open Final, in terms of seeded opponents and amount of tennis played.
Absolutely. I was just singling out the player that won the title to make a point that the match, despite being straight sets, was still fun/exciting.

Reaction Score

Fernandez: Road to the US Open Final
  • 3R: (3) Naomi Osaka
  • 4R: (16) Angelique Kerber
  • QF: (5) Elina Svitolina
  • SF: (2) Aryna Sabalenka
All four matches went three sets.

Raducanu: Road to the US Open Final
  • 3R: Sara Sorribes Tormo
  • 4E: Shelby Rogers
  • QF: (11) Belinda Bencic
  • SF: (17) Maria Sakkari
All four matches were straight set victories. Rogers had defeated #1 Ashleigh Barty. Sakkari had defeated three top ten seeds (#10 Kvitova, #6 Andreescu, and #4 Pliskova) en route to the semifinal matchup with Raducanu.

Not taking anything away from Raducanu's amazing and historic victory -- first British woman to win a GS since 1977, first player (male or female) to win the US Open as a qualifier -- but in terms of the number of seeds and quality of opposition faced on the way to the US Open Final, Fernandez had a much tougher road. It might not have changed the result, but it is something to be considered.

As an aside, Raducanu is arguably the most famous "Emma" right now in British pop culture, surpassing Emma Watson for the time being. ;-)
True but that's partially because the movie Emma. came out in 2020. That one, a faithful version of the novel by Jane Austen, is the story of the most famous Emma in British culture. If you liked Anya Taylor Joy in Queen's Gambit you will see her great acting on full display in this movie.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Almost OT, but I was fascinated by one of Emma's Gotham sightseeing choices...Sure she was on the "Today" show, joined her fellow competetors at the Met Gala..her outfit and accessories from the finest...but Wall Street? the Stock Exchange?

This is a well-educated, different sort of athlete. An academic wiz with real interests. Quite commendable wouldn't you say?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom