OT: - Observations of the US Open | The Boneyard

OT: Observations of the US Open

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I watched Djokovic lose the 1st set last night, told my wife, “Now he has Berretini right where he wants him,” and then I went to bed.
and now, bet he tanks the first 2 sets. ;)

Reaction Score
Besides the great story of 2 teenagers making their way to the semifinals, I have concluded that Djokovic has decided that the only way to make the games interesting is to tank the first set. :eek::eek:
Some trivia……….name the only professional tennis player to had a winning record against Novak Djokovic. This player was 5-4 against him during his illustrious career, but against Roger Federer the same player was 3-21.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
-Looking forward to the 2 women's semifinals tonight and rooting for the 2 teenagers to meet in the finals.

But then, I feel like a heel since I should be rooting for the older players to get the opportunity to get an Open win as a reward for toiling away throughout their career. :oops::oops::oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Leila takes set 1 7-6 (7-3) after being down 4-1 and down a mini break in the tie breaker. Still cant wrap my head how some one so small can hit with opponents in the top 5. Guts of a burglar.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sabulenka takes set 2 6-4. The physicality is clearly making a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, not that much of one, I guess! Teenage composure was better than idiotic screaming and tantrums, thankfully.

Reaction Score
I guess Osaka losing - shouldn't have been considered so awful.

Maybe she should reconsider? (OFC she won't.)

Chris Evert said it best - when she was young she had no fear. When she was older and the young players came up like Graf - she was scared to death to play them - because she realized her time was winding down and they had their whole careers. The players that go against Leylah - 3 of the four were slamming their rackets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Radukanu dispatching Sakkari like a flea. Every bit as consistent and versatile as Fernandez but seems to have more power and a better serve.

Reaction Score
Wow! This is insane. 2 18 yr. olds (I like to think of LF as 18 yrs and 358 days), one a QUALIFIER (1st ever in tennis Open Era history, male or female to make a Major final) for all the marbles.

It's even more insane that LF's is NOT the Cinderella Story. This is gonna be fun.

Eye test suggests the younger has a physical advantage, but it also suggests not to count the older out.

Should be a blast tomorrow.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
On the surface, having NO seeded players in the finals (ie none of the favorites) may seem less interesting, or make for less eyeballs wanting to watch, but the opposite feels like the case here.

One qualifier, and one unseeded, both teenagers, and both from countries that have not traditionally produced a plethora of women's tennis champions. I hope they both play really well. One of the most exciting grand slam finals in recent history IMHO. Incredible story for each.

Reaction Score
Radukanu dispatching Sakkari like a flea. Every bit as consistent and versatile as Fernandez but seems to have more power and a better serve.

Not "literally" of course especially in terms of greatness but I almost get the feeling that I'm watching a very young Nadal (Fernandez) and Djokovich (Raducano). (Not saying they will be this.) -- They have both been so unbelievably damn amazing. Just amazing - both. One dominant the other going through a gauntlet of tremendous/tremendous players and both being human backboards yet a terrific/tremendous offense. Amazing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
england, great britain, united kingdom, whatever they call themselves, is going bonkers over their girl. big fun for them over there, and she's pretty classy with her speech thanking the New York City fans. crowd favorite, methinks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The sport needs these two. Hope it happens on the Men’s side too.
Djokavic hasn't had the hardest path to the semi finals, but if he wants to win he will have to get past Zverev and the winner of Medvedev/Auger. Not sure Felix is ready to win a major, but beating Zverev and Medvedev is no small task for sure. He certainly will have earned the grand slam.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Serena is deep into her back nine....and Venus is in the clubhouse. The tour needs stars and it may have lucked into 2 young ones. Fernandez in 3 sets given her competition has been tougher and Raducanu has breezed thru without a bother. This one will be a bother.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Djokovic again finds himself down 1 set to 0. Not a good idea against Zverev

Reaction Score
Djokovic again finds himself down 1 set to 0. Not a good idea against Zverev
Not a good idea for Zverev to be down right now down 2 sets to 1.

What did they have a 53 shot rally or something?

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Fernandez vs Raducano. I think Fernandez is going to come out on top- she hits everything back and the opponent just gets too tired in the end. But, no one has even won a set off of Raducano, and she has great power. It's going to be great. Love the accent of Raducano- what is it about the British accent that makes speakers sound so elegant and sophisticated?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Fernandez vs Raducano. I think Fernandez is going to come out on top- she hits everything back and the opponent just gets too tired in the end. But, no one has even won a set off of Raducano, and she has great power. It's going to be great. Love the accent of Raducano- what is it about the British accent that makes speakers sound so elegant and sophisticated?
As far as I can see., Raducano is every bit as consistent as Fernandez. I am leaning to Raducano to win.

Just now, in a 5th set, the wheels have fallen off for Zverev. Might be a donut (5-0 now)

Reaction Score

Britain's Emma Raducanu defeats Canada's Leylah Fernandez in all-teen US Open final

Raducanu, ranked #150, born to a Chinese mother and a Romanian father, had to go through three rounds of qualifying to even make the main draw for what is only her second grand slam appearance.
The 18-year-old had become the first qualifier in either men's or women's tennis to reach a grand slam final -- and now, she has become the first qualifier to win one.

1631402613475.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom