Observations from 1st game | The Boneyard

Observations from 1st game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. I love KO but our team looked confused about their roles and ill prepared last night.
2. We need to start running specific sets on offense, this nba style offense works great if you have lebron, not so well when you have rodney purvis. Our guys look confused. Dribble and panic. Seems like 9 out of 10 half court positions end up with a turnover or bad shot.
3. I think Altrique, Jalen, and Terry Larrier should be the focal point of our offense. I see a lot of Boat, napier, and deandre in them.
4. Rodney needs to be our Kromah. He seems confused on his role. He should be a defensive stopper. Three and D guy off the bench.
5. Really excited to see the development of vance jackson. Kid has high Bball iq and can score. I can see him become the giffey of this team. Needs to work on moving his feet.
6. Facey and Brimah should play 20 min each. They should never be on the floor together.
7. Would like to see Durham and Larrier at the 4.
8. Purvis needs to CRASH THE BOARDS. I see too much standing around from him. He is too reactive. With his physical attributes, he can do soo much more. If his shots aren't falling he just takes himself out of the game.
9.If Diarra can prove to be an effective rebounder, he should get more minutes. I really think Brimah is overrated on defense. Against more physical centers, his defense is limited.
10. Most effective lineup
Alterique
Jalen
Vance
Terry Larrier
Brimah

Bench
Purvis
Diarra
Durham

Reaction Score
1. I love KO but our team looked confused about their roles and ill prepared last night.
2. We need to start running specific sets on offense, this nba style offense works great if you have lebron, not so well when you have rodney purvis. Our guys look confused. Dribble and panic. Seems like 9 out of 10 half court positions end up with a turnover or bad shot.
3. I think Altrique, Jalen, and Terry Larrier should be the focal point of our offense. I see a lot of Boat, napier, and deandre in them.
4. Rodney needs to be our Kromah. He seems confused on his role. He should be a defensive stopper. Three and D guy off the bench.
5. Really excited to see the development of vance jackson. Kid has high Bball iq and can score. I can see him become the giffey of this team. Needs to work on moving his feet.
6. Facey and Brimah should play 20 min each. They should never be on the floor together.
7. Would like to see Durham and Larrier at the 4.
8. Purvis needs to CRASH THE BOARDS. I see too much standing around from him. He is too reactive. With his physical attributes, he can do soo much more. If his shots aren't falling he just takes himself out of the game.
9.If Diarra can prove to be an effective rebounder, he should get more minutes. I really think Brimah is overrated on defense. Against more physical centers, his defense is limited.
10. Most effective lineup
Alterique
Jalen
Vance
Terry Larrier
Brimah

Bench
Purvis
Diarra
Durham

Like it but don't leave Vital out, he belongs from what I can see and is a vital piece (had to)!

Reaction Score
Is there a chance Diarra will redshirt or is he still injured? He was dressed but didn't see the court even though we needed some toughness in the trenches. I don't know if he can play at this level but he sure couldn't be any worse than what was out there; could he?

Reaction Score
I think the point you mentioned that was most noticeable is the offense needs a lot more structure. 90% of our offense involves a high PNR or dribble hand-0ff while everyone else is spread out. There is no movement or motion in the form of cuts or screens by bigs or guards. This works fine in the NBA where the average bball iq and athleticism is much higher, but not with freshman at the college level. If the initial action fails, our guys tend to force things and put up tough contested shots. We need more movement off ball in order to free up guards and bigs.

On defense, we need to stop over-helping. I can't count how many times Wagner got open 3's from our guys overcommitting on drives. Also in the beginning of the game, Jalen and AG were simply trying to funnel their guards into our bigs instead of staying home and actually playing on-ball D. With our length and athleticism, I wouldn't mind mixing in more zone.

Overall there is a clear talent gap at the 4 and 5, which is accentuated by the fact that we don't run sets and force even our bigs into one-on-one situations (we know how that ended up). As many have echoed in these forums, the progression of our bigs has been horrendous. The days of playing inside out with boone, emeka, hilton, adrien, and co. feel like a lifetime ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom