Observations and Thoughts from Greenville Regional – South Carolina | The Boneyard

Observations and Thoughts from Greenville Regional – South Carolina

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
I watched all six games in Greenville in-person this past week (well, five and three-quarters since I left SC-UCLA early to watch UConn-OSU) and all six games in Seattle from Greenville bars. Here are my observations on South Carolina:

1. I’ve been to many games at Gampel and the Civic Center, but the crowd noise there was nothing compared to the devoted bedlam that filled Bons Secours every time the Gamecocks came out of the locker room and during player introductions. Adult men and women - of all ages - young children, and teens going berserk in both levels of the arena and in the aisles. It was like witnessing Beatles, Elvis and Snoop Dogg fans coming together for mega concert.

2. Unlike the other seven teams there (and maybe true of all WCBB programs?), at the conclusion of pregame warm-ups the Gamecocks leave the floor either in pairs or individually, waving to the crowd and drinking in the applause raining down from everywhere. This occurs right past the other team that is still warming up, and takes a solid two minutes to play out. Starters and bench alike – all are treated like rock stars. A question for our Gamecock posters: does this treatment occur at every home game during the season, or is it just for tournaments?

3. Zia Cooke is the last player to the leave the court pre-game, and she does so only after making a three point basket from all five spots on the arc. The crowd loves it.

4. Before each game, the coaches for all eight teams come out of the locker room and proceed to shake hands with all of the coaches and staffs of the opposing team. Nothing unusual, happens throughout the season. However, only Dawn Staley proceeds to then follow her handshakes with fist bumps with all of the scorers table personnel working the game (about 20-25 people). One can see the smiles on their faces as she approaches and after she passes. Classy move!

5. Some of the other team’s head coaches get all dressed-up for the games with eye-catching outfits and heels (Kim Mulkey, Niele Ivey, and to a lesser extent Brenda Freese), others wear comfortable street attire that seems coordinated with their teams’ outfits (Katie Meier, Cori Close, Lynne Roberts and Denise Dillon). Dawn Staley, however, walks out of the locker room wearing South Carolina sweatpants and a matching zippered sweatshirt. No fuss, no muss – it is easy to imagine she just finished running drills with her players beneath the stands.

6. I didn’t come across a single SC fan the entire four days who was obnoxious, cocky, know-it-all, or who was disparaging of the other teams or other players (they did boo the refs at times, but rightfully so). Seeing the UConn shirts my cousin and I were wearing, many offered compliments towards the Huskies (and condolences after the loss to OSU). Their behavior contrasted sharply against the brash, cocky behavior of LSU fans, and the obnoxious, mean-spirited behavior of a large number of Tennessee fans in attendance (who were not shy about voicing their displeasure and resentment at the Vols being sent out to Seattle). Bottom line: when not screaming and dancing in support of their team, the Gamecock fans were 100% class act.

7. Our seating was in the middle of SEC and ACC fans, who for the most part, were very friendly and complimentary (including the two Lady Vol fans sitting next to us). They were also VERY opinionated about the action going on the court and about the competency of the referees, especially during the games involving South Carolina. It seemed like each non-Gamecock fan had a different gripe about the special treatment they thought the officials were affording South Carolina. It was a litany of “if the refs stop allowing "this" or start enforcing "that", then our team could be competitive with South Carolina”. Pretty fascinating to hear that stuff directed towards a team other than UConn.

8. Aliyah Boston is a class act. She is revered by South Carolina fans, second only to Dawn. While most South Carolina fans expect her to enter the WNBA draft, there were some fans (in the bars) who think she might come back for a Covid year whether or not SC wins the championship. Prior to this weekend, I would have disregarded that idea as stupid if not insane, but now I am not so sure. What I am sure of is that Aliyah Boston will not receive the level of sheer adoration she enjoys now when she becomes a pro. The pro money will be there, but the Gamecock environment will not. Food for thought……

9. The four senior mainstays of the program (Bree Beall, Zia Cooke, Leticia Amihere and Victaria Saxton) are class acts as well. None of the flamboyant, in-your-face, brashness that was evident on the floor from other teams throughout the weekend (I’m looking at you Diamond Miller and Angel Reese). I can see all four playing professionally, overseas if not in the WNBA.

10. Final thought: Nobody can make a half dozen South Carolina senior citizens jump out of their chairs and start dancing like Bree Beall can when she hits a three-point shot. Gadzooks!

Reaction Score
Awesome summary! Thanks for the write up. As a decade long SC season ticket holder I can say #2 does happen every home game and Zia is usually the last to leave the court after pre-game warm ups.

As for #5, Dawn wears SC attire throughout the week around campus, practices, etc., but not on gameday. She’s usually either pretty stylish or deviates when something is close to her heart such as Eagles jerseys prior to the Super Bowl, Britney Griner shirts when she was held in Russia, or the Cheyney State jersey she wore for the 2nd rd game against USF. Your description of her wearing Gamecocks sweat shirt/pants tells me you’re referring her Maryland game attire. She was actually decked out in Louis Vuitton.

Thanks again. Great post! :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In answer to #2. When you referred to the players leaving the court to applause. I’m a SC season ticket holder. It’s just the fans cheering for their team as they jog off the court individually. It started with just a couple of players and just grew. Now it’s part of the pregame. It’s just a fun interaction between the fans and players. And yes, Zia does the shooting 3 ptrs every game. Usually Raven Johnson passes to her.

‘Brea Beal is a fan favorite. She just fills up the stat sheet game after game. We are so happy for her getting some recognition this year.

TBH about Aliyah - she doesn’t care about the adoration, although if she helps restore the Indiana franchise she’ll get plenty of it. Aliyah just has the type of personality that people gravitate to and she’s as grounded as they come.
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Greenville.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm not in the business of criticizing any of our fans. The temperament of our fanbase runs the gamut (this is the SEC after all).. but SC WBB fans are pretty cool folks for the most part. Knowledgeable. Respect for the game. Adores Dawn. Adores her players. Love winning and we have great respect for good players outside of our program. We often get a negative label because of a very vocal (but passionate nonetheless) minority on social media.. and although I don't always agree with how that minority interacts, they are a part of the fanbase and it's a part that exists in every fanbase of a winning program. Those are OUR crazy fans. That said, I'm glad you had a great visit in Greenville and hope you get a chance to come to Columbia next year for the UConn game.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Other than on Twitter, Gamecock WBB fans are pretty chill. I think SC Gamecock covered everything accurately.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
8. Aliyah Boston is a class act. She is revered by South Carolina fans, second only to Dawn. While most South Carolina fans expect her to enter the WNBA draft, there were some fans (in the bars) who think she might come back for a Covid year whether or not SC wins the championship. Prior to this weekend, I would have disregarded that idea as stupid if not insane, but now I am not so sure. What I am sure of is that Aliyah Boston will not receive the level of sheer adoration she enjoys now when she becomes a pro. The pro money will be there, but the Gamecock environment will not. Food for thought……
A lot of people (rightfully so) talk about money being a motivating factor, but I think this is one of the major reasons why players like Boston, Clark, Reese and Bueckers are likely to stay 5 years in college. They all get rockstar treatment at their respective universities, and that level of adoration goes out the window once you're a pro and likely completely disappears overseas. I think the tide has turned now that NIL allows players to make solid money while still in college, and the allure of going pro doesn't carry the same weight as it did a few years ago. If I'm in Boston's shoes and the options are either:
1. Go pro and play in Indiana for 4 months, then overseas, make great money from playing
2. Play in Columbia a 5th year for Dawn in front of 13,000+ crowds, chase potentially a 3rd straight title while working a masters (and still making solid money via NIL)

It's a no brainer I'd pick option 2 over 1.

Reaction Score
I'm not in the business of criticizing any of our fans. The temperament of our fanbase runs the gamut (this is the SEC after all).. but SC WBB fans are pretty cool folks for the most part. Knowledgeable. Respect for the game. Adores Dawn. Adores her players. Love winning and we have great respect for good players outside of our program. We often get a negative label because of a very vocal (but passionate nonetheless) minority on social media.. and although I don't always agree with how that minority interacts, they are a part of the fanbase and it's a part that exists in every fanbase of a winning program. Those are OUR crazy fans. That said, I'm glad you had a great visit in Greenville and hope you get a chance to come to Columbia next year for the UConn game.
Yeah. I gotta give South Carolina fans mad respect. Y'all are pretty cool and down to earth fanbase. I can sit and have an adult beverage with South Carolina fans.

Reaction Score
I watched all six games in Greenville in-person this past week (well, five and three-quarters since I left SC-UCLA early to watch UConn-OSU) and all six games in Seattle from Greenville bars. Here are my observations on South Carolina:

1. I’ve been to many games at Gampel and the Civic Center, but the crowd noise there was nothing compared to the devoted bedlam that filled Bons Secours every time the Gamecocks came out of the locker room and during player introductions. Adult men and women - of all ages - young children, and teens going berserk in both levels of the arena and in the aisles. It was like witnessing Beatles, Elvis and Snoop Dogg fans coming together for mega concert.

2. Unlike the other seven teams there (and maybe true of all WCBB programs?), at the conclusion of pregame warm-ups the Gamecocks leave the floor either in pairs or individually, waving to the crowd and drinking in the applause raining down from everywhere. This occurs right past the other team that is still warming up, and takes a solid two minutes to play out. Starters and bench alike – all are treated like rock stars. A question for our Gamecock posters: does this treatment occur at every home game during the season, or is it just for tournaments?

3. Zia Cooke is the last player to the leave the court pre-game, and she does so only after making a three point basket from all five spots on the arc. The crowd loves it.

4. Before each game, the coaches for all eight teams come out of the locker room and proceed to shake hands with all of the coaches and staffs of the opposing team. Nothing unusual, happens throughout the season. However, only Dawn Staley proceeds to then follow her handshakes with fist bumps with all of the scorers table personnel working the game (about 20-25 people). One can see the smiles on their faces as she approaches and after she passes. Classy move!

5. Some of the other team’s head coaches get all dressed-up for the games with eye-catching outfits and heels (Kim Mulkey, Niele Ivey, and to a lesser extent Brenda Freese), others wear comfortable street attire that seems coordinated with their teams’ outfits (Katie Meier, Cori Close, Lynne Roberts and Denise Dillon). Dawn Staley, however, walks out of the locker room wearing South Carolina sweatpants and a matching zippered sweatshirt. No fuss, no muss – it is easy to imagine she just finished running drills with her players beneath the stands.

6. I didn’t come across a single SC fan the entire four days who was obnoxious, cocky, know-it-all, or who was disparaging of the other teams or other players (they did boo the refs at times, but rightfully so). Seeing the UConn shirts my cousin and I were wearing, many offered compliments towards the Huskies (and condolences after the loss to OSU). Their behavior contrasted sharply against the brash, cocky behavior of LSU fans, and the obnoxious, mean-spirited behavior of a large number of Tennessee fans in attendance (who were not shy about voicing their displeasure and resentment at the Vols being sent out to Seattle). Bottom line: when not screaming and dancing in support of their team, the Gamecock fans were 100% class act.

7. Our seating was in the middle of SEC and ACC fans, who for the most part, were very friendly and complimentary (including the two Lady Vol fans sitting next to us). They were also VERY opinionated about the action going on the court and about the competency of the referees, especially during the games involving South Carolina. It seemed like each non-Gamecock fan had a different gripe about the special treatment they thought the officials were affording South Carolina. It was a litany of “if the refs stop allowing "this" or start enforcing "that", then our team could be competitive with South Carolina”. Pretty fascinating to hear that stuff directed towards a team other than UConn.

9. The four senior mainstays of the program (Bree Beall, Zia Cooke, Leticia Amihere and Victaria Saxton) are class acts as well. None of the flamboyant, in-your-face, brashness that was evident on the floor from other teams throughout the weekend (I’m looking at you Diamond Miller and Angel Reese). I can see all four playing professionally, overseas if not in the WNBA.

10. Final thought: Nobody can make a half dozen South Carolina senior citizens jump out of their chairs and start dancing like Bree Beall can when she hits a three-point shot. Gadzooks!
So, what was your impression of Greenville as as a regional site? If the weather was decent, I would imagine the little downtown was hoppin’. Did you interact with other fans in the bars and restaurants? Fun stuff between games?

It has been the site of the SEC tournament most years of the past decade and will probably continue to be for many. New Orleans might bid in the future now with Kim’s unhappiness over it being almost a SCar home game and LSU’s rise in wbb popularity. NO is more centrally located within the huge conference. (Greenville is a long drive for Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, A&M fans.)

Reaction Score
A lot of people (rightfully so) talk about money being a motivating factor, but I think this is one of the major reasons why players like Boston, Clark, Reese and Bueckers are likely to stay 5 years in college. They all get rockstar treatment at their respective universities, and that level of adoration goes out the window once you're a pro and likely completely disappears overseas. I think the tide has turned now that NIL allows players to make solid money while still in college, and the allure of going pro doesn't carry the same weight as it did a few years ago. If I'm in Boston's shoes and the options are either:
1. Go pro and play in Indiana for 4 months, then overseas, make great money from playing
2. Play in Columbia a 5th year for Dawn in front of 13,000+ crowds, chase potentially a 3rd straight title while working a masters (and still making solid money via NIL)

I think there is a time to join the real world.

She's accomplished everything there is to accomplish and unless she has a specific academic goal on mind there isn't really a reason to stick around.

But if she does stay, I guess I can handle it. Ha.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
So, what was your impression of Greenville as as a regional site? If the weather was decent, I would imagine the little downtown was hoppin’. Did you interact with other fans in the bars and restaurants? Fun stuff between games?

It has been the site of the SEC tournament most years of the past decade and will probably continue to be for many. New Orleans might bid in the future now with Kim’s unhappiness over it being almost a SCar home game and LSU’s rise in wbb popularity. NO is more centrally located within the huge conference. (Greenville is a long drive for Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, A&M fans.)
Props to Greenville. The downtown area had a lot of interesting stores and restaurants - wish I had an opportunity to visit them all. Spent a lot of time engaging with other fans in bars and restaurants. Great atmosphere and insightful discourse with opposing fans all weekend long (other than the continual schadenfreude coming from Lady Vol fans towards, well, almost everything). Wish I could have chatted with some of them more - especially the fans supporting Utah, Notre Dame and Villanova who, understandably, didn't stick around much after the Sweet Sixteen.

Overall great WCBB atmosphere - and $4 Guinness on tap - entices me to come back!

Reaction Score
Awesome summary! Thanks for the write up. As a decade long SC season ticket holder I can say #2 does happen every home game and Zia is usually the last to leave the court after pre-game warm ups.

As for #5, Dawn wears SC attire throughout the week around campus, practices, etc., but not on gameday. She’s usually either pretty stylish or deviates when something is close to her heart such as Eagles jerseys prior to the Super Bowl, Britney Griner shirts when she was held in Russia, or the Cheyney State jersey she wore for the 2nd rd game against USF. Your description of her wearing Gamecocks sweat shirt/pants tells me you’re referring her Maryland game attire. She was actually decked out in Louis Vuitton.

Thanks again. Great post! :)

Yep, Dawn does appear quite casual with sweat shirts, slides, sneakers, etc, but make no mistake these are high fashion, high end items: Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, Gucci etc :eek:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

I have to think though there are a lot of benefits to turning pro, including that your time is much more your own. Boston doesn't need to play against college posts anymore (where she gets triple teamed every night)--even if it's in front of 13K fans. I can see her being way more excited about getting to face Jonquel Jones, Nneka, McCowan, etc. on a night-to-night basis. It's time for her to go up against real pros on a night to night basis, playing in pro arenas, Plus if Boston's goal is to make the 2024 Olympic team (which is fairly realistic though no sure bet), I would think she wants as much time competing against the best as possible to get her ready.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have to think though there are a lot of benefits to turning pro, including that your time is much more your own. Boston doesn't need to play against college posts anymore (where she gets triple teamed every night)--even if it's in front of 13K fans. I can see her being way more excited about getting to face Jonquel Jones, Nneka, McCowan, etc. on a night-to-night basis. It's time for her to go up against real pros on a night to night basis, playing in pro arenas, Plus if Boston's goal is to make the 2024 Olympic team (which is fairly realistic though no sure bet), I would think she wants as much time competing against the best as possible to get her ready.
Very valid points, especially regarding the Olympics. I wont be surprised by whatever decision she goes with.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
bbsamjj, great points - I agree. Especially the point about playing for the US Women's National Team. I think the lure of that, whether it is for Olympics or World Championships, will be a significant consideration not only for Boston, but for Caitlin Clark, Paige and Azzi as well. Days of carrying college players (a la Rebecca Lobo) on national teams are gone forever.

Reaction Score
bbsamjj, great points - I agree. Especially the point about playing for the US Women's National Team. I think the lure of that, whether it is for Olympics or World Championships, will be a significant consideration not only for Boston, but for Caitlin Clark, Paige and Azzi as well. Days of carrying college players (a la Rebecca Lobo) on national teams are gone forever.
I don't see any of those players being in contention for the Olympic team unless they went pro this year and had a great year, so maybe Boston. The Olympics are in July 2024 - team selection is in May or April I would assume. They would all be two month out of college maximum and like you said, those days are over.
And I'm not sure of Azzi's age if she is even eligible for the draft next year but assuming she is she'll just be a junior who, if she is actually healthy next season, would have played the equivilent of 2 years of college basketball in her three seasons.

So net net, the earliest Olympic team any of these players will have any hopes of making is 2028, except Boston but even that's a long shot when she'd have to beat out the likes of Stewart, Wilson, B. Jones, J. Jones, Charles, and Griner. I do not think it's a factor in anyones decision.

Reaction Score

Wonderful write up. I’d give it 10 “likes” if I could.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

bballnut, you're rational if nothing else. I'd pick option 2 also if I were Aliyah. BUT...................in 2 months, I want more than anything to see Boston at the WNBA draft having her name called, by who, I don't care. I just want to see her in a WNBA uniform next month. The hope and plans I have for UConn next season include Boston going pro.

I'm glad that college student-athletes can now benefit from their NIL. I wish we had it when I played. I really could have used the money, no matter how little it may have been. Oh yeah, I agree with your post too. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Excellent post YKC. The bolded paragraph is an excellent illustration of why I have never had a problem with Dawn, her program, or their fans. It's also an excellent illustration of why I disparage LV fans. Some (not all) are consistent in that they don't like or respect any other team, its players, or its fans. "The obnoxious, mean-spirited behavior of a large number of Tennessee fans in attendance (who were not shy about voicing their displeasure and resentment at the Vols being sent out to Seattle)." Great atmosphere and insightful discourse with opposing fans all weekend long (other than the continual schadenfreude coming from Lady Vol fans towards, well, almost everything). SMH.

Sanford And Son Reaction GIF

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Greenville's downtown and the arenas location is great for fans, but there has long been complaints from the media and teams. There was an article about it in the fall.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
After watching this video of Boston and Cooke, I'd be genuinely surprised if Boston doesn't declare for draft. She seems genuinely excited to challenge herself at the next level:

Reaction Score
Greenville's downtown and the arenas location is great for fans, but there has long been complaints from the media and teams. There was an article about it in the fall.

Good catch. Failing to treat sportswriters like royalty definitely belongs in the “Good things about Greenville regionals” thread.

Reaction Score
I think Stewie will be the last college player on an Olympic team. The world is starting to catch up and everyone on the team needs to be able to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom