O'brien leaves PSU | The Boneyard

O'brien leaves PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What's next? Feels like Golden to PSU and Schiano to Miami.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Golden to Penn State and then Rutgers fires Flood to rehire Shady.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Charlie Strong to Miami to replace Golden. Schiano to Louisville.

Reaction Score
Schiano is in Happy Valley as I type this begging for the job...saying he'll do it for free....he is such a tool! Keep your eye on Franklin and Munchak...although if the Pres/AD situation stays clouded it may interfere with this search.

Reaction Score
Munchak or Schiano to PSU and Charlie Strong to Texas. Charlie Strong had an interview yesterday with Texas.

Texas: Chip Brown of OrangeBloods.com reports that Louisville head coach Charlie Strong is interviewing today for the head coaching job at Texas. Texas has already interviewed James Franklin and would like to speak with Mark Dantonio, according to Chip Brown. A source tells CoachingSearch that Texas also has interest in UCLA head coach Jim Mora.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Reaction Score
Munchak or Schiano to PSU and Charlie Strong to Texas. Charlie Strong had an interview yesterday with Texas.

Texas: Chip Brown of OrangeBloods.com reports that Louisville head coach Charlie Strong is interviewing today for the head coaching job at Texas. Texas has already interviewed James Franklin and would like to speak with Mark Dantonio, according to Chip Brown. A source tells CoachingSearch that Texas also has interest in UCLA head coach Jim Mora.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker
I put this up yesterday regarding Strong interviewing in the TX thread:
I am interested to see how this plays out with Strong. The UT job would be a GREAT spot for him...he would have a built in recruiting base like no where else!

Reaction Score
I put this up yesterday regarding Strong interviewing in the TX thread:
I am interested to see how this plays out with Strong. The UT job would be a GREAT spot for him...he would have a built in recruiting base like no where else!

Interesting, my gut tells me he lands at Texas where like you say is a great spot for him.

Reaction Score
I soo want Charlie Strong to go to Texas and hope Louisville flops. The ACC choosing the stronger Football program can kiss my ____. Let those buttheads regret choosing a team that stops getting the Florida recruits that made them what they are today.

Reaction Score
Hey, at least Patterson made an effort to contact Jurich about interviewing Strong.

You can definitely sense that Jurich is starting to panic. Coaches like Strong are a rare breed.
Yeah...I definitely agree with that. You have to wonder what happens to UL's class if Strong leaves. They have some good kids in that class...the vultures are probably already circling. I hope he leaves, and Jurich makes another Kragthorpe like hire...it will be poetic justice for the ACC..ESPECIALLY schools like Miami and BC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
About the Penn State job: I can't see any top coaches giving Penn State serious consideration. They are about to enter year 3 of their scholarship reduction sanctions and postseason ban. The upper classmen on scholarship that O'Brien inherited are gone either by transfer or graduation. That means there is a lot of player turnover that needs to be replaced by non-scholarship athletes. It wouldn't surprise me to see PSU have to resort to hiring a retread type of coach while they really start to get hit by the NCAA sanctions. O'Brien is leaving at the perfect time for him because he knows that that job is about to become MUCH more difficult. He did a good job of restoring Penn State pride in a time that I'm sure many were embarrassed by the actions of the removed administration and coaching staff. But now that that has worn off a touch, the focus is now going to shift to whether or not anyone can win there despite the sanctions. Quite honestly, I don't know if they can.

Louisville: I think all UCONN fans would get quite a chuckle if Strong left and UL went back into a Kragthorpe era. Athletics are cyclical. Academics are forever. If UL can't win football games on a yearly basis, they are going to become the heaviest of conference deadweight anchors sucking finances from the entire conference while offering absolutely nothing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That would make me SUPER happy if Strong goes to Texas! Like many have already stated, Louisville appears to be a big football "power" simply due to Strong's recruiting (and a quarterback that will not be there next year, by the way). Can't wait to see what happens to the ugly birds once both Bridgewater and Strong are gone. I will refer to it as being "Larry Taylor'ed"... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom