Obi Melifonwu Playing in Senior Bowl this Saturday (1/28 @ 2:30ET) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Obi Melifonwu Playing in Senior Bowl this Saturday (1/28 @ 2:30ET)

Reaction Score
I'm interested in what fans are thinking of Obi's ascent up the draft boards. He took a lot of flak here whether he deserved it or not. Do you all think Obi would be a good first round draft pick? Personally, I think you can't undersell his size and athleticism as well as his tackling ability, but I'd be a bit worried about his propensity to be a split second late over the top and get beat.

Clock's ticking brother. Make the change. Last warning. Ok, well maybe second to last warning. Get 'er done.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in what fans are thinking of Obi's ascent up the draft boards. He took a lot of flak here whether he deserved it or not. Do you all think Obi would be a good first round draft pick? Personally, I think you can't undersell his size and athleticism as well as his tackling ability, but I'd be a bit worried about his propensity to be a split second late over the top and get beat.
I feel the same way as I have stated that he was always after receivers who got by him. Maybe it was the lack of a strong defensive scheme where DB played 10-15 yards off of the line. Fitting into a scheme with actual coaching can't hurt. He certainly has the stature and frame to fit a lot of hybrid positions at the next level. He always could tackle, nickel linebacker would be his road to a lot of money in the NFL. 1st round is a long shot 2nd for sure.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It seems like we had the same thoughts about Byron before he got drafted.

In other words, there was a lot of head scratching about Byron being ranked so high, or at least it seems that way.

Obi has had more than a few head scratching games in the past 2 years but he looks to be climbing like Byron did.

If he has a good Senior Bowl week and smokes it at the combine he could be a 1-3 rounder.

Reaction Score
Obi looking good, stuffed a RB and just recovered a fumble.

Reaction Score

Mike Mayock said something I've stated about Obi on here before. He needs to finish tackles by "bringing his legs". Pumphrey was able to absorb the hit because Obi didn't drive through him. I do think it's something he can and will get better at.

Reaction Score
Mike Mayock said something I've stated about Obi on here before. He needs to finish tackles by "bringing his legs". Pumphrey was able to absorb the hit because Obi didn't drive through him. I do think it's something he can and will get better at.
From what I remember he usually was dragging guys down from behind. So it is something he will have to work on at the next level. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I hope he goes Rd 1. That along with winning is how you build program tradition. It would be a nice cap in our feather.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Exactly and this tackle is a perfect example. Drive the legs through the man. In the NFL every back you hit is going to keep their legs moving until the whistle.

Reaction Score
Obi really came on his senior season. He looked very comfortable in the Senior Bowl. He belonged.

Looking back on his sophomore year, it felt like he gave up a TD every game. He obviously worked very hard to get better. Very happy it is paying off for him.

Reaction Score

>>Top defensive grades:

S Lorenzo Jerome, 85.0
S Obi Melifonwu, 80.8
OLB Vince Biegel, 80.4
DT Jaleel Johnson, 77.1
OLB Derek Rivers, 75.6

Small school safeties support wily rushers

Despite living in the backfield throughout 2016, Vince Biegel only managed four sacks his senior season. He still registered 51 total pressures, though, including 41 hurries (second among FBS OLBs). Biegel recorded six combined hurries in the senior bowl, over a quarter of the 21 total his side managed. On the back end, safeties Obi Melifonwu and Lorenzo Jerome illustrated ideal center-field play. The St. Francis product picked off a pair of passes, reading Antonio Pipkin’s eyes perfectly on one red-zone pick. Jerome proved his potential by stepping up with the level of competition. The same can be said of Connecticut’s Melifonwu, who filled running lanes with authority throughout the day.<<

Reaction Score
Obi really came on his senior season. He looked very comfortable in the Senior Bowl. He belonged.

Looking back on his sophomore year, it felt like he gave up a TD every game. He obviously worked very hard to get better. Very happy it is paying off for him.

Also think Anthony Poindexter played an important roll in his development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom