O'Bannon case | The Boneyard

O'Bannon case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This entire case fascinates me. I do hope that the ending result benefits the student athletes more than the Ncaa and the member schools.

Sidenote: I do remember fondly using Ed O'Bannon on ea sport's Coach K for the Sega Genesis. He was guaranteed to break the backboard every time during the second half. I miss that game.....

Reaction Score
I find it really intriguing also. I only played the NCAA games for a couple of seasons, but there was no mistaking the players were modeled after current and former players.

Reaction Score
There is simply no way a rational educated mind can examine the NCAA and not see massive profiteering?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a Boatright jersey available from NCAA while we were holding him out during their investigation?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the Judge tipped her hand. The decision will be something akin to. "You guys run a wildly inefficient business, but a business nonetheless. Find a way to compensate these players for third party revenue not directly related to gameday or I will and you won't like it."

Student stipends out of licensing money and post grad royalties of use of image, with the ability of players to opt out.

May go as far as a Student Athlete trade association, but I don't think that will happen.

In a way, a decision like that would be welcomed by the P5.

Reaction Score
I think the Judge tipped her hand. The decision will be something akin to. "You guys run a wildly inefficient business, but a business nonetheless. Find a way to compensate these players for third party revenue not directly related to gameday or I will and you won't like it."

Student stipends out of licensing money and post grad royalties of use of image, with the ability of players to opt out.

May go as far as a Student Athlete trade association, but I don't think that will happen.

In a way, a decision like that would be welcomed by the P5.
That seems logical and I agree that from this small window into the proceedings the judge (per Pierce's article/viewpoint) has the plaintiffs interests as paramount.

A good medium solution, the NCAAs stance on that has always been that it opens Pandora's box. I think better to test or prove that than to ignore reality and keep growing the gargantuan revenue model that relies on free labor/product. There has to be so much fat at the administrative level that they could pay every D1 football and basketball athlete handsomely and not miss a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom