O.T. Storrs ranked 3rd smartest town in America | The Boneyard

O.T. Storrs ranked 3rd smartest town in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read this story on Yahoo and it reflects very kindly on UConn. Lumosity who has a site for brain testing games and challenges tested nationwide and they ranked towns all across the U.S. The top ten is predominately college towns with Storrs (UConn) ranked 3rd behind Stanford and Princeton. The rest of the top ten aren't too shabby either so I think it speaks highly of the type of kids who are signing on to attend UConn. I know they've really amped up how many salutarians and valedictorians have enrolled over the past ten years so I'd say that it has resulted in appreciably higher scores for that community. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-smartest-cities-in-america-195444032.html?page=all

Reaction Score
I do lumosity work every day.
As do I. I started out in the 64% compared to my peers (64-68 group) and have since graduated to the 95.2 percentile. Now I'm just competing against myself and sometimes it isn't that easy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As do I. I started out in the 64% compared to my peers (64-68 group) and have since graduated to the 95.2 percentile. Now I'm just competing against myself and sometimes it isn't that easy.
Excellent. My bpi is 97.6 for the 60-64 group and started in the 80s. Interestingly my 2 best categories seem contradictory: speed 98.4 and problem solving 98.6 percentiles. Since those percentiles are against the user group it would be interesting to know the general population estimates.

Reaction Score
I read this story on Yahoo and it reflects very kindly on UConn. Lumosity who has a site for brain testing games and challenges tested nationwide and they ranked towns all across the U.S. The top ten is predominately college towns with Storrs (UConn) ranked 3rd behind Stanford and Princeton. The rest of the top ten aren't too shabby either so I think it speaks highly of the type of kids who are signing on to attend UConn. I know they've really amped up how many salutarians and valedictorians have enrolled over the past ten years so I'd say that it has resulted in appreciably higher scores for that community. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-smartest-cities-in-america-195444032.html?page=all

These so-called rankings are entirely dependent on drawing a random sample from each community - or at least drawing the same distribution from each city. I highly doubt that is happening, thus largely invalidating the results.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
These so-called rankings are entirely dependent on drawing a random sample from each community - or at least drawing the same distribution from each city. I highly doubt that is happening, thus largely invalidating the results.
I suspect you are close to correct concerning the ranking process. None the less the exercises themselves seem helpful and are enjoyable enough.

Reaction Score
The fact that one region falls from 5th-smartest to #50 in just one year, further proves the schlock that this "analysis" is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is a chicken and egg question really. Are they smart people who come to UCONN or are they smart because they come to UCONN? Personally I think that any student who chooses UCONN, well really, any WBB who chooses UCONN has made a smart decision (hint hint, Wilson, Westbeld, Belton, Calhoun, Rooks, Gussert, Durr, Samuelson, etc.). :cool:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure how these rankings things work or whether they reflect that much on UConn except that as a university it kind of dominates the town it is in. UConn is not listed among the top 50 smartest colleges by Luminosity rankings, and is actually down at #105, a little behind Bob Jones University but ahead of mental giant abodes like Syracuse (141), Rutgers (200), and well ahead of WVU (247). U. of Hartford is at the seventh place from the bottom at #405.

So it must be some kind of relation between small town and big university that gives UConn\Storrs a uniquely high value, while other "smart" colleges are in bigger places like Boston and Chicago. Or maybe Storrs is the new Florida for smart oldies to retire to and do Luminosity with a passion.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It'll go up, my son just got a job there. ;)
It would be good if he can bump the Hawks up 3 more places to pass FDU-Florham. No one should be behind Fairly Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
"the future's so bright...I gotta wear..shades! I gotta wear shades!"

Oh, I say I wear my sunglasses at night
I wear my sunglasses at night
I say it to you now
I cry to you

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There's a separate town of Stanford? I thought it was in Palo Alto.
Supposedly, there is a postal address for Stanford. where the majority of the campus is located on the outskirts of Palo Alto. Not sure there's anything you would call a town center, though. But why would you want the Palo Alto crowd included in your Luminosity residence? They just know how to invent a lot of stuff, drink a lot of coffee and make tons of money. That doesn't necessarily make them smart, or not on the level of the luminous minds in Storrs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure how these rankings things work or whether they reflect that much on UConn except that as a university it kind of dominates the town it is in. UConn is not listed among the top 50 smartest colleges by Luminosity rankings, and is actually down at #105, a little behind Bob Jones University but ahead of mental giant abodes like Syracuse (141), Rutgers (200), and well ahead of WVU (247). U. of Hartford is at the seventh place from the bottom at #405.

So it must be some kind of relation between small town and big university that gives UConn\Storrs a uniquely high value, while other "smart" colleges are in bigger places like Boston and Chicago. Or maybe Storrs is the new Florida for smart oldies to retire to and do Luminosity with a passion.
Yup - I think this is the reason - about 80% of the population is associated with the university in some way so while that does not guarantee higher IQ it does tend to create an environment where knowledge and education are valued highly. It is a long time ago but I grew there and in HS there was more peer pressure to succeed academically and more pressure at home to get good grades than in most HS communities - not gleaned from a scientific study to be sure, but anecdotally from my friends in college. At that time the HS was actually owned by the university and the heads of the HS departments had tenure through the university system. Of course in another study of limited credibility the HS ranked in the top 5 nationwide for drug use! I plead the fifth on that subject.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that most of the highly competitive Luminosity vets are heavily into the Ritalin scene, so that might jive with any reports of Stanford drug use. At Storrs on the other hand, it's the Jonathan Supreme shakes from the Dairy Bar that keep the residents minds in highly luminous states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom