O.T. ESPN Layoffs expected to start Wednesday... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

O.T. ESPN Layoffs expected to start Wednesday...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I just have to say - after reading the article - that replacing Chris Berman (that I didn't like) with Samantha Ponder (that I never heard of) on their football show sounds like an attempt at appealing to a new demographic.

But sadly, I don't know how that is going to work out - I think there are a lot of sports fans who care about the events and not the social media stuff, and the "cutsie" stuff and the endless talking heads. We shall all see, I suppose.

Berman always reminds me of a Howard Cosell 'wannabe. Won't be sad to see him go.

My pet peeve with ESPN is still with the way they televise women's CBB games; i.e., pull back to a peanut-gallery shot of the court after each basket and then a zoom or partial zoom when the ball has been brought to the other court, still trying to show all 10 players. I hope some of those directors also get the axe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw on that feed that Hannah Storm will remain but in a "significantly reduced" role. I recall she was the one who was on-air to break the news of both Stuart Scott's and John Saunders's passing.

She is part of the backbone of the ESPN family, it seems to me. To see her role cut back speaks to the depth of today's actions.
I didn't realize that Hannah announced both. She's the Walter Cronkite of her generation.

I believe she is married to Dan Hicks of NBC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It seems like most of the layups that I've seen announced are Reporters/Journalist behind the scenes who do the actual reporting on Sporting Events/Leagues etc. Those that Gather the News and Background stories are being let go. The talking heads for the most part are keeping their jobs, with two or three in reduced capacities. From what I've seen on Twitter just about everyone involved with Hockey with the exception of Barry Melrose have been fired. Except for possible financial savings, don't see how these layoffs make ESPN better and get back the audience share they've lost.

Reaction Score
Except for possible financial savings, don't see how these layoffs make ESPN better and get back the audience share they've lost.

Layoffs are always about saving money. What made you think otherwise?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I just have to say - after reading the article - that replacing Chris Berman (that I didn't like) with Samantha Ponder (that I never heard of) on their football show sounds like an attempt at appealing to a new demographic.

Putting a good looking blonde woman in a host role seems like a pretty standard move. And Ponder has been doing sideline reporting on football for a few years, so she's way closer to the game (literally and figuratively) than Berman has been in decades.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Putting a good looking blonde woman in a host role seems like a pretty standard move. And Ponder has been doing sideline reporting on football for a few years, so she's way closer to the game (literally and figuratively) than Berman has been in decades.
Sam is married to Christian Ponder, so she has that perspective.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of course, I wish everyone the best. Losing a job totally sucks. It's one of the hardest things that people go through. But it can be a huge opportunity for something new and better.

I thought that ESPN and the other networks had gotten bloated with on-air talent.

Of those listed so far, I'll miss Dana O'Neil and Eamonn Brennan.

Reaction Score
It seems like most of the layups that I've seen announced are Reporters/Journalist behind the scenes who do the actual reporting on Sporting Events/Leagues etc. Those that Gather the News and Background stories are being let go. The talking heads for the most part are keeping their jobs, with two or three in reduced capacities. From what I've seen on Twitter just about everyone involved with Hockey with the exception of Barry Melrose have been fired. Except for possible financial savings, don't see how these layoffs make ESPN better and get back the audience share they've lost.

Seems like you can't get your mind off of basketball ;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Trent Dilfer among those laid off as well.

Bet he gets picked up by Fox Sports

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Running List of Laid Off ESPN Employees:

• Pac 12 Reporter Ted Miller
  • NFL Analyst Trent Dilfer
  • Big Ten Reporter Brian Bennett
  • MLB Writer Jayson Stark
  • SEC Football Reporter David Ching
  • ESPNW Reporter Jane McManus
  • Big 12 Reporter Max Olson
  • Dodgers Reporter Doug Padilla
  • Columnist Johnette Howard
  • Radio Host Danny Kanell
  • College Basketball Reporter C.L. Brown
  • SEC Recruiting Analyst Derek Tyson
  • ESPN Dallas Columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor
  • College Basketball Writer Eamonn Brennan
  • College Football Recruiting Reporter Jeremy Crabtree
  • College Football Reporter Brett McMurphy
  • Baseball Reporter Mark Saxon
  • MLB Analyst Jim Bowden
  • Big Ten Football Reporter Austin Ward
  • Wisconsin and Big Ten Football Reporter Jesse Temple
  • Soccer Writer Mike Goodman
  • ESPNU Anchor Brendan Fitzgerald
  • College Basketball Reporter Dana O’Neil
  • NHL Columnist Pierre LeBrun
  • Hockey Writer Joe McDonald
  • NHL Columnist Scott Burnside
  • NFL Reporter Ed Werder
  • Titans Reporter Paul Kuharsky
  • Houston Rockets Reporter Calvin Watkins
  • ESPNW And ESPN Chicago Columnist Melissa Isaacson
  • SportsCenter Anchor Jay Crawford
  • NBA Reporter Ethan Sherwood Strauss
The bolded names are people whose columns I have read and enjoyed on ESPN.com or whose analysis I looked forward to reading/hearing.

Very sad day for me. And another sad day for good journalism and substantive sports analysis.

Edited to add more names, as additional information about the individuals laid off has been revealed.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Additionally, The Hollywood Reporter reports that Karl Ravech, Ryen Russillo, and Hannah Storm will see their roles “significantly reduced."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/layoffs-hit-espn-as-network-sheds-air-talent-997616

I enjoy all three, and this is another loss.

I first listened to Ryen Russillo's NBA podcast on the ESPN Radio App. He had great, substantive analysis. I did not always agree with him, but he was smart, knew the game of basketball, and knew how to give the listeners analysis and insights that even ardent basketball fans did not know.

Reaction Score
Running List of Laid Off ESPN Employees:

• Pac 12 Reporter Ted Miller
  • NFL Analyst Trent Dilfer
  • Big Ten Reporter Brian Bennett
  • MLB Writer Jayson Stark
  • SEC Football Reporter David Ching
  • ESPNW Reporter Jane McManus
  • Big 12 Reporter Max Olson
  • Dodgers Reporter Doug Padilla
  • Columnist Johnette Howard
  • Radio Host Danny Kanell
  • College Basketball Reporter C.L. Brown
  • SEC Recruiting Analyst Derek Tyson
  • ESPN Dallas Columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor
  • College Basketball Writer Eamonn Brennan
  • College Football Recruiting Reporter Jeremy Crabtree
  • College Football Reporter Brett McMurphy
  • Baseball Reporter Mark Saxon
  • MLB Analyst Jim Bowden
  • Big Ten Football Reporter Austin Ward
  • Wisconsin and Big Ten Football Reporter Jesse Temple
  • Soccer Writer Mike Goodman
  • ESPNU Anchor Brendan Fitzgerald
  • College Basketball Reporter Dana O’Neil
  • NHL Columnist Pierre LeBrun
  • Hockey Writer Joe McDonald
  • NHL Columnist Scott Burnside
  • NFL Reporter Ed Werder
  • Titans Reporter Paul Kuharsky

The bolded names are people whose columns I have read and enjoyed on ESPN.com or whose analysis I looked forward to reading/hearing.

Very sad day for me. And another sad day for good journalism and substantive sports analysis.

Jay Crawford as well. 1st sports center host I've seen mentioned.

Jayson Stark & Ed Werder seem to be the 2 highest regarded names

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Jay Crawford as well. 1st sports center host I've seen mentioned.

Jayson Stark & Ed Werder seem to be the 2 highest regarded names

More names:

NFL Analyst Ashley Fox
College Basketball Analyst Len Elmore

The names I put in bold are people I respect and admire...and whose work and analysis I have always enjoyed.

I was very, very sad about many of these layoffs, UNTIL I saw Len Elmore's name. I hate to be flip or disrespectful, but I am thrilled to see Elmore getting the pink slip.

Reaction Score
I have been avoiding ESPN for the most part. I can't stand their talking heads, who are so smug and so wrong so often. But it is mainly the infusion of politics that bugs me. There is a time and a place for everything. When I watch sports, I don't want any politics involved. So, ESPN, if you want me to watch, shut up with the politics. Then, maybe you don't have to lay off so many people.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Latest analysis on these cuts from Deadspin - http://deadspin.com/espns-latest-layoffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629

upload_2017-4-26_15-21-36.png

Reaction Score
ESPN needs to reinvent themselves.... they have gotten so tired.... when i turn on the tv to one of their shows they always it seems asking for audience feedback on IS SO AND SO THE GREATEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME based on good performance the day before..... Also I can bet that their lead story on any given day involves either Tom Brady, Tony Romo, LeBron James, and one or two others..... makes me want to turn to something else

Reaction Score
I have been avoiding ESPN for the most part. I can't stand their talking heads, who are so smug and so wrong so often. But it is mainly the infusion of politics that bugs me. There is a time and a place for everything. When I watch sports, I don't want any politics involved. So, ESPN, if you want me to watch, shut up with the politics. Then, maybe you don't have to lay off so many people.

I guess I dont watch enough to have seen the supposed 'politics'. I never saw it during my many hours of watching.
But it doesn't matter. That's not the reason.
Their flagship program SportsCenter has become less relevant in age when you can watch highlights anytime at the push of a button.
Because of its high carriage fees, ESPN was getting a lot more of its revenue from subscribers than other cable channels. As a result, when subscriber numbers started falling, ESPN was especially exposed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Saving a bunch of money is not a good reason?

ESPN is in a bad spot right now. They've overpaid for content. And revenues are weakening as more folks cut the cord. They need to cut costs somewhere.

Conveniently, the article addresses that exact point:

upload_2017-4-26_16-44-18.png

Reaction Score
Conveniently, the article addresses that exact point:

View attachment 21967

But they can't fix the contracts until renewal time. They can control other expenses now. Companies that are struggling will cut to the bone to save any kind of money -- I know I've seen it many times.

Did Deadspin write a similar article 2 years ago when ESPN cut 300 workers? Or was it ok then because it was no on-air talent?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
But they can't fix the contracts until renewal time. They can control other expenses now. Companies that are struggling will cut to the bone to save any kind of money -- I know I've seen it many times.

Did Deadspin write a similar article 2 years ago when ESPN cut 300 workers? Or was it ok then because it was no on-air talent?

Maybe it was 4 years ago? I found this article - http://deadspin.com/source-espn-laying-off-hundreds-509043249

I get what you are saying, but cutting a bunch of beat writers to cover their financial issues seems like using band-aids to fix bullet holes.

Reaction Score
I hate it when good people who had nothing to do with ESPN's issues are laid-off and jobless. This is always sad and unfortunate. However, most will likely land on their feet, as they are talented and have something of quality and value to offer the marketplace.

However, even as a CT native and taxpayer, I cannot and will not shed any tear for ESPN. They have repeatedly screwed over UCONN in every which way possible and their backhanded dealings and actions have been directly responsible for the conference predicament that UCONN is currently in.

ESPN has continually taken HUGE tax incentives to stay in CT and would leave CT at the drop of a hat if the tax incentives / tax breaks were not there. They have no loyalty to CT at all and this shows in how they have treated and acted towards UCONN.

I listen to ESPN radio a lot and have heard numerous on air pot shots at Bristol and CT as a whole.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seems like this is the classic media move - cut lots of content providing employees and try to get by on glitz. What got ESPN going and kept them at the top was the breadth and depth of their coverage, including the only sports company that took WCBB seriously. So now they are cutting back on the providers of that depth, while keeping most of the bloated talking heads that are going to have less to talk about without the rank and file providing them with info.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom