O.T. Best of the rest | The Boneyard

O.T. Best of the rest

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ist Team: G Crystal Dangerfield, G Kia Nurse, SF Ann Strother, PF Barbara Turner. C:Kiah Stokes
2nd Team: G Tiffany Hayes, G Kelly Faris SF Jamelle Elliott PF Azura Stevens, C Jessica Moore

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ist Team: G Crystal Dangerfield, G Kia Nurse, SF Ann Strother, PF Barbara Turner. C:Kiah Stokes
2nd Team: G Tiffany Hayes, G Kelly Faris SF Jamelle Elliott PF Azura Stevens, C Jessica Moore
You needed to keep Ajsha Jones up on first teamBarbara to 2nd team drop Azure or Kiah stokes

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Asjha Jones was an Olympian and WNBA All-Star.

Tiffany Hayes has been a WNBA All-Star.

Renee made WBCA All-American 2 times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think any of these players besides Nurse belong. It's tough to leave favorites off, I know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You needed to keep Ajsha Jones up on first teamBarbara to 2nd team drop Azure or Kiah stokes
Although it was only one season, which did not result in a championship Azura Stevens had one of the most productive season in UCONN history. Azura shot 60.8 %. Azura averaged 14.3 PPG, 7.3 RPG blocked 73 shots and 1.87 APG while playing 20.4 MPG. In comparison Gabby Williams was named a WBCA AA that same season. Gabby shot 60.9 %. Gabby averaged 10.8 PPG , 7.3 RPG, blocked 24 shots and 5 APG while playing 26.1 MPG.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think any of these players besides Nurse belong. It's tough to leave favorites off, I know.
Statistically you can make an argument for many if not all the players that I listed. Keep in mind that that it only takes 1 good year of good performance in which that player is named AA to get on the wall. UCONN has had some very good single season performances that did not result in a player being placed on the wall . Morgan Tuck's 2014-15 season is an example of that. This selection system also tends to favor offense vs defense in that many of the best defenders in UCONN history are not on the wall (Faris, Stokes, Nurse, Elliot, Greene). This selection system also does not favor a career of steady contribution vs one peak year. Strother, Greene, Jones & Nurse are the best examples of solid 4 year careers but never a peak year in which they were named AA.
There are also 4 (?) UCONN WBB teams on the wall the last being 2003-04. I would nominate the 2015-16 team to be on the wall as well.

Reaction Score
Laura Lishness deserves to at least be mentioned in this conversation.
As point guard, Laura was an immediate contributor to the developing Huskies squad. She was named Big East Freshman of the Year in 1988 and in her four years at UCONN she tallied 1303 points and 531 assists and recorded 150 steals. During Laura’s junior year, her triple double against Seton Hall was instrumental in winning UConn’s first Big East Conference title. That record stands today and she still holds the record for most points, assists and steals in one game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Always going above and beyond, Coco. Awesome, a first and second team of wall-wishers.

Reaction Score
Although it was only one season, which did not result in a championship Azura Stevens had one of the most productive season in UCONN history. Azura shot 60.8 %. Azura averaged 14.3 PPG, 7.3 RPG blocked 73 shots and 1.87 APG while playing 20.4 MPG. In comparison Gabby Williams was named a WBCA AA that same season. Gabby shot 60.9 %. Gabby averaged 10.8 PPG , 7.3 RPG, blocked 24 shots and 5 APG while playing 26.1 MPG.

Gabby impacted the game so much more. Numbers, especially at UConn, don't tell the whole story. 5'11" vs 6'5". One and done Stevens does not deserve to be on the wall.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby impacted the game so much more. Numbers, especially at UConn, don't tell the whole story. 5'11" vs 6'5". One and done Stevens does not deserve to be on the wall.
The numbers are a quantifiable way of determining who most impacted the game and therefore should not be dismissed. If you are suggesting that Gabby impacted the game more by stats not presented here or even "intangibles" I would argue that Gabby had more of an opportunity as measure by a very tangible stat-time on the court or MPG. One and done? I did not realize that years spent on campus was a criteria for the WoH.

Reaction Score
After the loss to Stanford in November, 2014, Kia Nurse started 99 of the next 100 games (Kiah Stokes started 1 because of senior night). UCONN won all 100 games, including two National Championships.

Kiah Stokes was the absolutely essential sixth man her last two years at UCONN. Her contributions in rebounding and defense to team success were exceptional.

I would have to choose Kia and Kiah as most deserving of being on the Wall.

Unfortunately, players are generally not chosen to be All-Americans based on their defense.

Reaction Score
Asjha Jones was a beast in her senior year. As a starter she averaged just 24.5 minutes per game yet still managed to average 14 ppg and 6.6 rebounds. Her efficiency from the floor was 55.96%.

I'm pretty sure back in her day they didn't award 10 players 1st team A/A status - they only gave it to 5. As a result, she would've been on the wall in the more modern era.

In 01-02 the great team had 2 struggles; One was vs Vga Tech and the other vs Oklahoma in the finals. The game vs Va Teach she had 19 points and 8 rebounds. She was the only one who had shot over 50% from the floor and led the team in rebounds. and led the team in scoring. She had as many assists as Sue Bird (1) and one less that DT (2).

In the Oklahoma Championship game, while Swin was the star - Jones had 19 points and 9 rebounds while Bird and DT overall struggled. Leading up to the championship game, Swin Cash was struggling and broke out in the final game. But Jones was consistent beast throughout the year.

In her senior year, Asjha Jones was dominant. And when her team needed her most she pulled off 19 points and had 8 and 9 rebounds in both. UCONN could'v easily lost both games if not for the tremendous performance of Asjha Jones. Additionally, overall combining the 2 games that UCONN was threatened, Asjha Jones overall performed the best. In summary she outplayed DT and Sue and Bird in the most critical game of 01-02 and the other game in which she was clearly the star. She outperformed DT and Bird and the 2 "tight" games. She was a sr beast.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom