O-LINE PFF Grades | The Boneyard

O-LINE PFF Grades

Reaction Score
According to PFF, 7 games into the Senn, Haynes, and Ofori-Nyadu are ranked top 10 according to their Metrics. This is pretty impressive for our O-Line. I know a lot of people did not have Nyadu starting because we do not really hear much about him, but it is pretty impressive he has been holding his own and is one of our better interior guys. Senn is possibly better than Vandy and is a much bigger and harder guy to get around. Haynes is having a solid year and is doing pretty good, this is his best year so far in the first 7 games we played.
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 1.03.53 PM.png

Below is us as a group collectively as a team. Guidone is definitely a bigger upgrade than Walker is.
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 1.09.45 PM.png

Reaction Score
According to PFF, 7 games into the Senn, Haynes, and Ofori-Nyadu are ranked top 10 according to their Metrics. This is pretty impressive for our O-Line. I know a lot of people did not have Nyadu starting because we do not really hear much about him, but it is pretty impressive he has been holding his own and is one of our better interior guys. Senn is possibly better than Vandy and is a much bigger and harder guy to get around. Haynes is having a solid year and is doing pretty good, this is his best year so far in the first 7 games we played. View attachment 79700

Below is us as a group collectively as a team. Guidone is definitely a bigger upgrade than Walker is. View attachment 79701
Noel is looking pretty fit.

Reaction Score
How timely…

Alternate access link here <<<

-> “Our confidence is high, we are going to make holes for the running backs regardless,” Haynes said. “We want to be the best, so anybody we put back there we are going to try and get them 100-plus yards.” <-

-> “Our connection, the way we work hard together every day (has improved this year),” Haynes said. “We have better practice habits and communication on the field.”

Said Mora, “I have been impressed with (the pass blocking). As a group we have protected well, although we have had a couple ugly plays. But I think it has been good, you are always trying to get better.” <-

Reaction Score
If they can tighten up pass blocking on the right side, we will have something very good.

Reaction Score
3rd and and 4th and 1 during Edsall 2.0 we could not get the yard. It totally messed up the offense and was demoralizing. The group this season is getting after it!

Reaction Score
Amazing. This includes Michigan, NC, Syracuse. So, this is not a result of weak competition.

Reaction Score
And good RBs
Absolutely. We have some great ones this year. All 5 of them seem to have good vision, a little shiftyness and some power. It really has been next man up all season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do these grades take in to account the quality of the opponent or their talent level?

Not knocking our players. You do your job against your opponent. It does seem like your top level P5 linemen are probably playing against higher skill level defenders and also probably higher level schemes by the coaches making it more difficult to consistently block effectively.

Reaction Score
Do these grades take in to account the quality of the opponent or their talent level?

Not knocking our players. You do your job against your opponent. It does seem like your top level P5 linemen are probably playing against higher skill level defenders and also probably higher level schemes by the coaches making it more difficult to consistently block effectively.
Not many teams in the country have played 3 current top 25 teams and most also had one or two cupcake games at the front of the schedule. The numbers include playing some of the best of the P5.

Reaction Score

The grading system is qualitative and based on what a player is expected to do on an individual play and each play is graded -2 to +2. So, if a player does what is expected, they get a 0 on the play. For example, if on 3rd and 5 a running back gets the first down, but is not touched until 5 yards down the field, they would probably get a 0. If the running back breaks a couple of tackles to get the first down, he might get a +2. If a QB throws an uncontested screen pass and the receiver runs 90 yards for a touchdown, the QB would probably get a 0 for the play as he was expected to make the throw. If a QB makes a great throw to a receiver and the receiver drops it, the QB might get a +2 and the receiver might get a -2.

PFF does not rate a player's talent, but their performance and they can't be used to rank players per se. But, if you have a player with great measureables and a high PFF grade, that is probably a top player.

I would say opponent has some impact on the grades, but schemes are taken into account as they qualitatively assess if the player did what they were supposed to do given the situation. The grades aren't perfect, but they are another data point to use when rating a player.

Reaction Score
Not many teams in the country have played 3 current top 25 teams and most also had one or two cupcake games at the front of the schedule. The numbers include playing some of the best of the P5.
It does and it doesn't. The grades reflect your work against other players on technique. I would say considering Michigan, NC State, Syracuse, those games are included. The grade isn't the be all and end all. All college players have to prove they can replicate at higher athletic levels.

But, you won't waste much time on a poorly graded player since if he can't perform at a high level against his competition, unless he is an athletic talent, he will have a long way to go at the NFL level.

Reaction Score
The grading system is qualitative and based on what a player is expected to do on an individual play and each play is graded -2 to +2. So, if a player does what is expected, they get a 0 on the play. For example, if on 3rd and 5 a running back gets the first down, but is not touched until 5 yards down the field, they would probably get a 0. If the running back breaks a couple of tackles to get the first down, he might get a +2. If a QB throws an uncontested screen pass and the receiver runs 90 yards for a touchdown, the QB would probably get a 0 for the play as he was expected to make the throw. If a QB makes a great throw to a receiver and the receiver drops it, the QB might get a +2 and the receiver might get a -2.

PFF does not rate a player's talent, but their performance and they can't be used to rank players per se. But, if you have a player with great measureables and a high PFF grade, that is probably a top player.

I would say opponent has some impact on the grades, but schemes are taken into account as they qualitatively assess if the player did what they were supposed to do given the situation. The grades aren't perfect, but they are another data point to use when rating a player.
Is this rating system automated? If so, I'd love to know how a computer determines what a player was expected to do on a given play. If not, I'd like to know who is doing the tens of thousands of person-hours of film review required to come up with these ratings weekly.

Reaction Score
Is this rating system automated? If so, I'd love to know how a computer determines what a player was expected to do on a given play. If not, I'd like to know who is doing the tens of thousands of person-hours of film review required to come up with these ratings weekly.
They have people that watch film on the players

Reaction Score
Understanding that you have to have some semblance of talent at the skill positions, blocking and tackling win football games. Period. The Edsall 1.0 teams won with that mindset.

Reaction Score
They have people that watch film on the players
I guess it's more manageable than I thought. If a play averages 8 seconds, and players average 30 snaps per game, and 60 players per team play in a given game, and there are 65 games a week, that equals 260 person-hours required to analyze all FBS games. In a 5-day work week, a team of 7 people can pull that off.

Reaction Score
3rd and and 4th and 1 during Edsall 2.0 we could not get the yard. It totally messed up the offense and was demoralizing. The group this season is getting after it!
Agreed. Also avoiding 2d/3d and long (obvious passing) can be huge for an OL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't forget 2nd and 1's. Next play stuffed. Play after that stuffed. I grew to love 2nd and 7. (one way I know the healing has started is that I had forgotten about that proclivity.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom