O.k. So What Does This Mean? | The Boneyard

O.k. So What Does This Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Quote from Geno...

"We passed the ball pretty well. We did really well shooting the ball (51.4 percent)," Auriemma said. "Defensively, I thought we struggled a little bit because we're not big and we're not able to cover a lot of ground. We're going to make some mistakes because we're doing this different than last year."

Reaction Score

I don't know what the hell he's talking about. The team had 21 steals in 40 minutes - when was the last time they did that?

Reaction Score
WONK: I think it was back in '47 vs. the Little Sisters of the Poor.
But to your initial sentence, there are numerous examples over time of Coach not knowing what the hell he's talking about..........and the same for the two of us.....well, I'll speak only for myself there. He's an extemporaneous guy......and I like most of what happens as a result, as he is a terrific entertainer.
I kind of think he is doing one his numbers when he keeps talking about what a small team this is. When was it ever bigger?????

Reaction Score
.I don't know what the hell he's talking about. The team had 21 steals in 40 minutes - when was the last time they did that?

The last time they player and exhibition game?! I suspect he is referring to how they played team defense and not their defensive stats versus subpar competition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i don't know either. the only difference between this team and last year's team is that KML started in place of Maya. they are about the same height (Maya was about 6'0" and KML's about the same) so i'm not sure.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
And other than Maya, he lost...Lorin Dixon? So, the team probably got bigger, on average!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It has to have something to do with not having Maya anymore. Defensively, Maya played kind of like a free safety, sometimes leaving her assignment to ballhawk, double team other players, etc. UConn does not have anyone like her, so the defensive scheme is different.

Last night, it seemed to me that in man defense UConn defenders were very aggressive guarding perimeter players out to the three point line and even beyond.

Assumption's open shots were more frequent early, so maybe UConn adjusted well. I hope we get an explanation because I'm just guessing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was wondering the same. Thanks for starting the discussion.

I did not see the game, but it sounds as if Coach has modified the defensive scheme some. Whether it is simply not having Maya's weak-side or double-team help or more than that, I don't know.

Maybe Scotter, OC, or others notice some differences.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
It also has to do with having more than 5-6 players on a given night. Doing things different is for the good.

Reaction Score
i don't know either. the only difference between this team and last year's team is that KML started in place of Maya. they are about the same height (Maya was about 6'0" and KML's about the same) so i'm not sure.
Thank you!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It also has to do with having more than 5-6 players on a given night. Doing things different is for the good.
Agreed. We have more depth this year. And Stef is more experienced as the last line of defense. The number of steals may reflect a new strategy in terms of pressure defense.

Reaction Score
They are about the same height, but Maya is the fourth leading shot blocker in school history. Even though KML is an underrated athlete by some people even her high school coach acknowledged that Maya is a different class athletically. No one on this year's team comes close to replicating the things Maya could do defensively either individually or collectively.

No one can clean things up defensively the way Maya could. And on top of that the guard play may be deeper, but it will likely be worse defensively. Kelly will have likely have to spend time guarding post players instead of the opposition's best player. If Caroline struggles coming back from the injury it will show up moving laterally on defense the most. Bria was not good on defense as most freshman guards are, and has not proved that she is better on defense yet. Perimeter defense is one of if not the most difficult adjustment when stepping up in level of competition. KML and Banks will have their struggles with consistency and discipline as well, despite their talent just as Bria did and all the freshman guards not named Kelly Faris before Bria. We will have to see how things play out, but the reality is adjustments will likely have to be made for greater defensive limitations.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me like he's implementing a new defense and the team is still learning it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is always tough with young teams to help them understand the how and why of college defense. I am certain that all the reasons in this thread have pertinence to what Geno meant and the modifications mentioned.

sTu

Reaction Score
Quote from Geno...

"We passed the ball pretty well. We did really well shooting the ball (51.4 percent)," Auriemma said. "Defensively, I thought we struggled a little bit because we're not big and we're not able to cover a lot of ground. We're going to make some mistakes because we're doing this different than last year."

One of the challenges with Maya not playing is the lateral switching Steph has to do on teams with multiple bigs which is not her strength.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We do remember that last year some people were concerned about Maya's defense and whether last year's would be effective defensively. Hmmmm, worked out ok?

Reaction Score
We do remember that last year some people were concerned about Maya's defense and whether last year's would be effective defensively. Hmmmm, worked out ok?
While the team outperformed the average expectations I set very early last season based in part on statistical analysis in a Swish Appeal article, it was only slightly. And they failed to win the championship when they had the best team. Is that working out okay? A little better defense and they probably do win the championship. They were less effective on defense than the year before, and will be at least a little more less effective this season. They are still going to be one of the best defensive teams in the country, but there still will be a fall off. That is just a reality of the roster Geno is working with this season.

I will admit I have been having difficulty figuring out which choir you are preaching to and whether I am a member.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I apologize because I thought I was responding to the other thread pertaining to Kelly and Stef and was mistakenly. I have moved it.

Regarding Maya and her defense there were a couple of posters who noted Maya's weakness on defense and particularly on ball defense as a significant flaw in her game. I was not addressing anything previously said by you, Scotter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Scotter is setting the bar too high by comparing to the 2010 team. That was a record-setting defense that was arguably the best in NCAA history. Tina, Maya, Kalana, Caroline, Tiffany, and Kelly were a superlative group.

Reaction Score
Scotter is setting the bar too high by comparing to the 2010 team. That was a record-setting defense that was arguably the best in NCAA history. Tina, Maya, Kalana, Caroline, Tiffany, and Kelly were a superlative group.
I'm not sure I understand this comment. First, I compared this team to last year's team, not 2010. The only reference to 2010 was in reference to Icebear's comment that compared the 2010 and 2011 teams, which I apparently misinterpreted as a general comment when it was a much more narrow reply. Second, if anything I am lowering the bar for this team because I only expect them to play up to their ability, not 2010. This team will be a defensive success even if they aren't as good as last year let alone the team I absolutely believe was the best defensive team in NCAA history.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This was your comparison of 2011 to 2010 in which you said they were not as good as the prior year:

While the team outperformed the average expectations I set very early last season based in part on statistical analysis in a Swish Appeal article, it was only slightly. And they failed to win the championship when they had the best team. Is that working out okay? A little better defense and they probably do win the championship. They were less effective on defense than the year before, and will be at least a little more less effective this season. They are still going to be one of the best defensive teams in the country, but there still will be a fall off. That is just a reality of the roster Geno is working with this season."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
While the team outperformed the average expectations I set very early last season based in part on statistical analysis in a Swish Appeal article, it was only slightly. And they failed to win the championship when they had the best team. Is that working out okay? A little better defense and they probably do win the championship. They were less effective on defense than the year before, and will be at least a little more less effective this season. They are still going to be one of the best defensive teams in the country, but there still will be a fall off. That is just a reality of the roster Geno is working with this season.

I will admit I have been having difficulty figuring out which choir you are preaching to and whether I am a member.

Ice: I am also finding things a bit convoluted in your points and rebuttals on this thread and the other one re: Kelly/defense/need-another-big-or-not, and all that, but I will chalk it up to my own [mis]interpretation. I will speak no more on these particular points until we have a few games under our belts and can start to see which way the wind is blowing on the defensive side of the court. Peace.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice: I am also finding things a bit convoluted in your points and rebuttals on this thread and the other one re: Kelly/defense/need-another-big-or-not, and all that, but I will chalk it up to my own [mis]interpretation. I will speak no more on these particular points until we have a few games under our belts and can start to see which way the wind is blowing on the defensive side of the court. Peace.
Thanks for helping me realize the earlier post was in the wrong thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom